Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
With a couple exceptions you have it right:

Cable at exterior connection is a home run (possibly thru a splitter) behind the connector plate cable connection/booster button by the TV. The other leg (thru the splitter?) is a home run from the antenna to this same connection plate. Maybe this is also an A/B switch? Push the button to boost the antenna signal and block the antenna signal. Release the button for the cable signal and blocking the antenna signal. ???

(possibly thru a splitter) -If you have the separate SAT and CABLE connectors on the outside, there is no splitter on the CABLE input. The CABLE coax runs to the control board. The push button acts as an A-B switch to select ANTENNA or CABLE to route via coax to the internal TVs.

(thru the splitter?) - Assuming you meant the splitter you mentioned with the CABLE input, no. The control panel has two functions - select between CABLE and ANTENNA, and provide power to the preamp in the antenna head. The CABLE coax is connected to the control circuit board, just like the ANTENNA coax.

boost the antenna signal and block the antenna signal - i think you meant block the CABLE signal.

You do, however, have the general concept down.

Al

Outstanding...Thanks Al. Yes on the last item...block the cable.

Happy trails
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I have a 2010 Flying Cloud. The input comes in under the dinette. There are 2 female coax connectors with a jumper cable between them under the dinette. How do you hook up the Wally/Satellite Antenna? Thanks.
Popgun33
popgun33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun33 View Post
I have a 2010 Flying Cloud. The input comes in under the dinette. There are 2 female coax connectors with a jumper cable between them under the dinette. How do you hook up the Wally/Satellite Antenna? Thanks.
Popgun33
Sounds similar to post #2 possibly?

B
Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The older trailers do not have separate coax lines for SAT and CABLE. They share a single coax. I don't know when they made the change.

To hook up a satellite receiver you remove the jumper. One of the female connectors goes to the coax jack outside, one goes to the ANT/CABLE control panel. The trick may be figuring out which is which if they are not labelled. Best guess - the top one is to the outside. Hook the dish up outside and hook the receiver to the top female connector. To be sure, after you remove the jumper, short the outside connector and check the inside connectors to see which one has the short. You will need an ohmmeter for this test. Any inexpensive meter will do as long as it has an ohms scale.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Al, thanks. I was about to pose that ? ...shorting one end..then test for resistance.

thanks!

B
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun33 View Post
I have a 2010 Flying Cloud. The input comes in under the dinette. There are 2 female coax connectors with a jumper cable between them under the dinette. How do you hook up the Wally/Satellite Antenna?
The Wally output is HDMI only. So for AS's prewired with coax only, you'll need some sort of dongle to convert the Wally HDMI output to coax so that you can run it through the prewire.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
That's what you would think! My wally would not connect no matter what I tried. I called Dish and they said do not go through any other wiring on the trailer. As soon as I hooked it directly, it worked the very first time.
I've had no problem connecting my Dish to the outside Sat port, running it through the prewire to my Wally. It boots reliably.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Yours may be different, but here goes. On the side of the trailer that the outside connection is on, I have two coax-type connectors on the inside. The bottom one is the one to use for the satellite connection. I have a dinette there; I place the receiver on the table and connect to the bottom connector. The output from the receiver goes straight to the TV.

Pat
Exactly how I would respond except the top connector on my wall plate goes to the Wally receiver. The jumper is still connected to the bottom terminal and just hangs there so I won't loose it. I purchased a 15' HDMI cable on line and can watch satellite TV in the rear rear bedroom. We leave this HDMI connected to the rear TV and roll it up next to the TV when we aren't using it. Only one TV will be connected to the HDMI port on the Wally at a time. Perhaps there is an HDMI switch available but we have no problem manually plugging and unplugging the HDMI to whichever TV we want to watch.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
So sounds like we have the Wally/Satellite connections figured out.. Now, what happens if you want to just use your digital antenna? do you just push the button on the coax switch by the TV and it magically works thru the stereo receiver as usual?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So sounds like we have the Wally/Satellite connections figured out.. Now, what happens if you want to just use your digital antenna? do you just push the button on the coax switch by the TV and it magically works thru the stereo receiver as usual?
Yes. The only time you have to manipulate the jumper is if you are somewhere where you want to hook up to cable. You then disconnect the Wally and replace the jumper.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
That's what you would think! My wally would not connect no matter what I tried. I called Dish and they said do not go through any other wiring on the trailer. As soon as I hooked it directly, it worked the very first time.

After you run through the setup and everything is working, move the cable to the outside. You won't need to change this until you move to another location.
turk123, apologizes for stupid ?'s Do I understand that you suggest when booting up at a new location, to have a literal home run from the Sat dish to the wally (not using the AS coax home run). Then once set up is complete, you connect the Sat dish to the AS exterior connection and the other end to the wally.

I'm not sure what you mean "move the cable to the outside". Is your wally installed in a cabinet or like many on the table or other interior location?

I'd like to swap the Wally for the DVD in the cabinet but if I have to swap to the Sat Dish>Wally home run at each new location (I guess thru the door or window), that sounds cumbersome. My AS coax home run to the stereo/DVD cabinet is DS but the TV is CS. Using the existing DVD > TV HDMI cabling which I assume is up in the roof is most convenient.

I think I need to take a closer look at the DVD install and maybe the Wally could be swapped and velcro'd in. Not sure how the DVD is secured or simply sitting there in the cabinet slot.

Any feedback, clarification or advise is appreciated

Bob
Old 05-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
turk123, apologizes for stupid ?'s Do I understand that you suggest when booting up at a new location, to have a literal home run from the Sat dish to the wally (not using the AS coax home run). Then once set up is complete, you connect the Sat dish to the AS exterior connection and the other end to the wally.

I'm not sure what you mean "move the cable to the outside". Is your wally installed in a cabinet or like many on the table or other interior location?

I'd like to swap the Wally for the DVD in the cabinet but if I have to swap to the Sat Dish>Wally home run at each new location (I guess thru the door or window), that sounds cumbersome. My AS coax home run to the stereo/DVD cabinet is DS but the TV is CS. Using the existing DVD > TV HDMI cabling which I assume is up in the roof is most convenient.

I think I need to take a closer look at the DVD install and maybe the Wally could be swapped and velcro'd in. Not sure how the DVD is secured or simply sitting there in the cabinet slot.

Any feedback, clarification or advise is appreciated

Bob

Yes, when you move to a new location (new local stations) the dish will need to be set up again. Dish told me to run directly to the Wally when doing a new setup. After that, you can use the coax connection on the outside of the trailer. I believe I have a 30-foot cable on my dish which gives me the flexibility to move the sat dish around. The dish can be moved later as long as it has been set up at the beginning. I believe Dish has to confirm a good connection from the dish to the wally before it will move on to looking for satellites. Something about the AS outside coax interferes with this first process and it fails on mine. Dish knows about the issue and will tell you when you call them to hook it directly at first. You also have to call Dish with your location before you start. They use that information to program your Wally and to allow you to receive content. You also then will get local stations available to you. Nice for weather and local news.

My wally is in the upper cabinet above the dinette in the rear end of the trailer. I have room to put the wally on top of the DVD player. I also added an external hard drive that turns the Wally into a DVR (most USB external HD's work, but Dish recommends one that has it's own power and does not use the USB for power). If you have a Hopper at home, you can download movies and any other recorded material you want by hooking the ext HD to the hopper. We load it up (2 TB is the largest it will use) and have plenty of our favorite shows and movies ready to go. Look to YouTube for the details.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Something about the AS outside coax interferes with this first process and it fails on mine. Dish knows about the issue and will tell you when you call them to hook it directly at first.
Turk has posted good info but this isn't true for everyone. I've posted this above and will repeat it. We've been full timing for 20 months and I've never had a problem starting up my Wally using the outside Sat connection.

Quote:
You also have to call Dish with your location before you start. They use that information to program your Wally and to allow you to receive content. You also then will get local stations available to you. Nice for weather and local news.
This is because TV broadcast rules restrict local content to the billing zip. So when you call, you give Dish your new zip code, they update your billing zip and then you can access the local channels. All other channels work without the call. I got tired of this and use the cable connection at the pedestal for local channels.

Quote:
I also added an external hard drive that turns the Wally into a DVR (most USB external HD's work, but Dish recommends one that has it's own power and does not use the USB for power).
IMO the DVR is a must and we use the DISH branded one. It is powered through the USB connection and does not require external power.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks al, dasams & turk123.
Thinking about this and the possibility of having to connect directly at least initially, i think i'm going to try to connect at the coax jack by the tv for the wally coax end, and use the ext cable connection to connect to the sat. A short hdmi wally to tv. Wiring should be the same homerun as with the ext sat to dvd cabinet. That way, if i do need to i initially run the sat to wally direct in thru the door...the wally is accessible sitting exposed on the shelf above the refer.I

I'll add some !inks when i'm on laptop. Found some more wally connect threads on af's one with some directions from JC i. Pdf format.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
FWIW, a few other Wally connectivity etc. threads, tho not as current (2016)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...am-159726.html post 14 with instructions from JC in pdf format attached.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...as-159287.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ls-157981.html

bob

edit:

{Thinking about this and the possibility of having to connect directly at least initially, i think i'm going to try to connect at the coax jack by the tv for the wally coax end, and use the ext cable connection to connect to the sat. A short hdmi wally to tv. Wiring should be the same homerun as with the ext sat to dvd cabinet.}

Seems the only difference between the thru put for the exterior Sat vs cable should be the termination point.

this way I don't need to deal with the DVD cabinets, or the HMDI a/b switch....plus at fhe tv on the other side of the trailer is where I wanted it to live (when in use) anyway.

Edit 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123
Something about the AS outside coax interferes with this first process and it fails on mine. Dish knows about the issue and will tell you when you call them to hook it directly at first.

Turk has posted good info but this isn't true for everyone. I've posted this above and will repeat it. We've been full timing for 20 months and I've never had a problem starting up my Wally using the outside Sat connection.

Thanks Dasams, very interesting....i guess when I get to the fork in the road, I'll take it.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Dish

I just did this on a 2014 25 FC FB Twin. Due to the requirements from my wife of different channels on the lounge and bedroom I purchased the King Tailgater and two 211-Z receivers. All the equipment is refurbished.

The receiver for the lounge area is wedged behind the TV. I removed the wall plug, disconnected the coax cable from outside feed (mine were all labeled), and drilled a hole in the wall plate, so I could connect the receiver directly to this coax cable. I had a problem connecting the receiver to the original coax connector, even with the booster turned off. The HDMI connection from the receiver is plugged into the HDMI1 on the side of the TV.

The receiver for the bedroom is located in the cabinet on the shelf above the DVD player. The coax cable again was labeled and plenty long to mount to the receiver. I did replace the powered one input - two output HDMI splitter with a two input- four output HDMI switch so I could use both the DISH and the DVD, that was another requirement. I also purchased a remote that could be changed to a different frequency from the lounge receiver remote.

I connect the Main coax from the KING Tailgater to the Cable connector on the drivers side of the trailer. Then the AUX coax is connected to the SAT connector.

The lounge receiver and TV are turned on first and after it goes through the process I can start the bedroom receiver and TV. The bedroom can only get channels that are on the same satellite that the lounge receiver is using, but different channels can be watched on the two TVs.

You could setup the bedroom as the satellite selector by swapping the coax connections at the KING Tailgater.

The HDMI switch allows you to use the DVD for either or both of the TVs also by using the HDMI switch. This was included in a pdf document provided directly from Airstream.

Good luck with your install.

By the way I found all of this by searching previous posts.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Recent DISH changes

We use the RV specific DISH subscription with Local Channel package added.

They just recently changed so you can continue to watch the local channels from your home location or you can go online and change your address when you are traveling to your new location. You use to phone in your new address or you could not get any local channels.

We watched Houston local channels while we were traveling around West Texas last week.

I received an email from DISH while we were traveling, which made my wife a happy camper.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #38

Currently Looking...
Larkspur , Colorado
After reading several comments concerning the connecting of the Playmaker by Dish and the Wally, I was able to make all the necessary connections.
I started by purchasing (Rocketfish™ - 4-Port HDMI Switch - Black) from Best Buy ($40.00).
It was pretty straight forward after that.
rmvrmv is offline   Reply With Quote