Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post

It would be super cool if someone copied Kayak's hotel wifi speed application and repurposed it for RV parks.
I use this site to check the internet speed wherever I happen to be at the time.

Speakeasy - Speed Test
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Must Choose Soon

So, it looks like:

1. A smart phone, Android?, with a plug in for antenna,
2. A plan with unlimited phone data plan
3. a. A phone that has wifi
b. Or the USB tether for Android app.

Thinking the Walmart unlimited from T-Mobile.
But, do they have Android?

Thoughts?
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We use and have had great success with the Verizon Mifi. We also bought a cell phone booster which has helped in certain areas where coverage is weak. I have AT&T service while husband has Verizon. Verizon always has better coverage than AT&T.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Lani

How's the speed on the Mifi? We have been considering getting one? Are you able to stream video using it? We found Verizon had better coverage than t mobile when we had our wireless card with them. Thanks.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have seen MiFi speeds from dial up to over 1.2m here at the house. We are at the edge of cell coverage so it depends greatly on the traffic and time of day. It is considrably better than the phone we used as a modem before but that was not EVDO rev. A

It goes on it's first road trip shortly and I expect it will do well
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
If the cell coverage is decent in the area, we have no problems with the speed of the Mifi. My husband's job requires that he be online all day so connectivity is vital. You can stream video although we don't do too much of that just so we don't go over the 5MB/month limit. But, with us both being online most of the day, every day, we've yet to go over the limit.

With our Wilson Electronics Cell Booster, we have been able to get even more reliable connectivity. We only just recently made that purchase and wish that we had purchased it much sooner instead of our worthless internet satellite dish that NEVER worked.

You just have to be careful if you are anywhere near the Canadian border. We got hit with some ridiculous fees when the Mifi picked up a Canadian signal without our knowing. It was painfully expensive.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #47
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Where Does CradlePoint Fit In the Picture?

I recently came across CradlePoint and want to know where this fits into the mobile computing picture. Do I use this instead of tethering a smart device (iPhone, Droid, etc.) or instead of using MiFi? If so, why is CradlePoint better than other methods?

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
???

Now here is an area I no NOTHING about. Well! I know a little; just enough to be dangerous and get myself in trouble on occasion.
So here goes.
I have an OLD laptop;with 128MB of RAM and a PENTIUM III processor 850MHz. With Windows Me installed. It has a CD drive and USB ports and a 3 1/2" floppy drive. Like I said OLD. I am connected thru a LAN system to the internet with DSL (I think that's what it's called; a modem with a single pair phone line in and an ethernet cable out).
I am using it to type this in.
I would like to use this laptop when we are traveling to do map quest, Google earth and send and receive emails, perhaps to make campground or RV park reservations and surf the net incase I need a part or something. Maybe find a nice restaurant to take my lovely wife out to dinner.

Will this old timer work for those basic things?
I have an extra slot where my wireless LAN card plugs in. If this laptop will work. What do I need to buy to make it work?
Do I have to sign up and pay a monthly fee to use it for the aforemention service?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #49

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Now here is an area I no NOTHING about. Well! I know a little; just enough to be dangerous and get myself in trouble on occasion.
So here goes.
I have an OLD laptop;with 128MB of RAM and a PENTIUM III processor 850MHz. With Windows Me installed. It has a CD drive and USB ports and a 3 1/2" floppy drive. Like I said OLD. I am connected thru a LAN system to the internet with DSL (I think that's what it's called; a modem with a single pair phone line in and an ethernet cable out).
I am using it to type this in.
I would like to use this laptop when we are traveling to do map quest, Google earth and send and receive emails, perhaps to make campground or RV park reservations and surf the net incase I need a part or something. Maybe find a nice restaurant to take my lovely wife out to dinner.

I have an extra slot where my wireless LAN card plugs in. If this laptop will work. What do I need to buy to make it work?
Do I have to sign up and pay a monthly fee to use it for the aforemention service?
Honestly, I think that overall (both capability and total cost for that capability) you might be better off with an iPad with an AT&T or the new VZW WAN connectivity (you'll have to wait a while for the VZW one, the AT&T ones are available now.)

That'll get you a single device that has your internet connectivity, access to email, Google Maps and other internet mapping sites, etc.

To make your old notebook work, you'd need either a mifi-type access point with a similar monthly cost to the internet access for an iPad, and the iPad would be significantly faster than your old ME machine.
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
128MB of RAM and a PENTIUM III processor 850MHz. With Windows Me installed. It has a CD drive and USB ports and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.

That laptop can run a browser ok for what you want to do as you are obviously using it now. You could buy a WiFi (wireless LAN) card like you say, pretty cheap assuming the laptop has a slot (probably PCMCIA) on ebay. Then you can use campground WiFi or WiFi hotspots like at Starbucks, and decide later if you want to upgrade the laptop. (eventually you will have to upgrade to Windows 7 and at that time it would probably be better to get a new laptop or netbook).

A cheap wifi router plugged into your home broadband would untether you there too.

If you have some money, I would suggest a latemodel basic netbook with windows7 pro. New about $300 used around $150. It will have WiFi built in and be much better for browsing the web with audio, video etc..

Using a wireless 3G/4G broadband adapter (Sprint, Verizon ATT etc) would be your next step and gives you internet basically anywhere (about $50 a month). Get a USB plugin adapter. It would plug into that netbook giving you a direct internet connection. Or, the USB adapter could be used by your WiFI enabled laptop by plugging it into a Cradlepoint WiFI router which creates your own private wireless LAN wherever you take it. You can use the Cradlepoint at home, in your car or in the Airstream. (guys at 3GStore can help you).

If you have a good 3g/4G signal at home, you could then possibly get rid of your home broadband service.

I avoid built-in 3G/4G on my devices (tablet, ipad, netbook, laptop). A USB 3G/4G mobile broadband card+router, or a MiFi gives more options and and lets any other device or multiple devices to get to internet.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
???

Wayward: Thanks for all of the info. I am currently using a wireless card in my laptop to communicate with my in home router. Are you saying I can use this same card for "Hot Spot" communication?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #52

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Wayward: Thanks for all of the info. I am currently using a wireless card in my laptop to communicate with my in home router. Are you saying I can use this same card for "Hot Spot" communication?
A wifi card will connect you to compatible hotspots, yes... so McDonalds and some rest areas, campgrounds, etc. It would also allow you to use one of the "mifi" portable hotspots that various mobile phone companies offer, but with many of those you have to sign up for a contract (there are exceptions.)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #53

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Here's an example of a good replacement candidate. Reliable manufacturer (Toshiba) modern processor, plenty of RAM, big hard drive, webcam, new battery, etc. for $505

Toshiba Satellite Pro C650-EZ1511 Core 2 Duo T6670 2.2GHz 3GB 250GB DVD±RW 15.6" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/Webcam TOSHIBA AMERICA INFO SYS PSC09U-01J01V
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Learning a lot

OK, so here's the second chapter.
The LAN card I am using now is a Linksys 2.4 Ghz
Laptop is upgradeable to 512 MB of RAM. As I recall from years ago when I tried to upgrade from 128 to 256 (without success I might add). The laptop has 2 slots, currently one slot is empty and the other holds the 128 board.
I would assume that I would remove the 128 and install two 256 boards, one in each slot. The memory is $22.00
A new battery is around $50.00
I would not be opposed to spending $72-$90 bucks with shipping to upgrade. Even if I would only be able to use it for what I'm doing now. When I look at videos over the internet, they are a little jerky. I would assume the additional ram would help some with this.
Maybe I'll be lucky, with a birthday coming up, my wife will buy me the new Toshiba or a Dell.
If I decide to upgrade this one. Would I also need to install a 3 or 4 Ghz LAN card? And would it work along side my 2.4Ghz LAN card? Since that's what the in house unit is.
I do have two slots for this type of card.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #55

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are gHz and there are gHz... the 2.4gHz mentioned for the wifi card is the radio frequency. For wifi in the US, there's really just 2.4gHz and 5 gHz wifi (b and g use 2.4gHz, a uses 5 gHz and n can use both bands.) These different frequencies aren't about the speed like the processor clock frequency is. Your 2.4 gHz wifi should connect you to most hotspots for the time being, and any newer notebook is likely to have wifi built in so there's no need for you to buy another card at this point. You'd have to be careful to find one that had ancient Windows ME drivers anyway.

RAM is usually worth the effort, especially when you're starting from 128 mb. Unless something's wrong with one of the SODIMMs you install, I can't imagine bumping up to 512 meg doing anything but improving your performance. Just be sure it's compatible with the particular machine you have, there are a number of vendors who have good websites to determine what RAM works for your machine.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wow

Boy! The things you learn here on the forum. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Bluffton , South Carolina
For the cost of upgrade you can almost buy a newer faster netbook with warranty. Also windows me is notorious for being a resource hog. At idle ME will consume 70% of your ram. If you decide to upgrade, I suggest having someone reload the laptop with a stripped down windows XP. Yes XP is soon to be end of life, but security updates will continue for some time. Shop newegg.com for laptop/netbook deals. Also don't forget an Airstream is a Faraday cage and will require an external antenna for a strong wifi/cell signal.
teufel is offline   Reply With Quote