Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Is a big TV possible?

Just curious and dreaming here, but, is there a way to get à large TV (42"-50") mounted SOMEWHERE inside a 73 international soverign???? Even hang it from the ceiling, snap back up when not in use??? One of the luxuries I would dearly love to find space for. Thanks for any suggestions. :-)
SoverignGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
I am currently working on a TV-lift for a 42" in my 72 Ambassador. I should be finished in a couple of weeks and I will post pictures and a video to show how it operates.

Tharon
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Maybe hang it on the flat side in the ceiling, lay in bed and watch TV

I saw a picture of one somewhere where the TV was at the end of the trailer, in front of the window. It had a motorized lift that put it behind the couch when not in use.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
That would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Lol! On the ceiling itself--hadn't thought of that! �� But loving the idea of a lift that y'all mentioned... Hmm...
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
If you do hang it on the ceiling you will be obligated to install a waterbed. ;-) and then new axles...and then hang a tie on the door
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP keep in mind that you will only be sitting about 5 feet or less from the TV. Might not be so good for the neck and eyes.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UefoBe5...placement.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
bci
Computer Consultant

2007 30' Classic S/O
Chino Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to bci
Large TV

I placed a roll type movie screen (had one left over from my father's 8mm movie projector over the bedroom door spanning across the wall. Then placed a mini-LED video projector (smaller then a deck of cards) connected to my laptop in the cubby hole (worked for the iPhone also controlling and supplying video also). The Laptop was connected to the antenna (Over the air), Internet (streaming), and local iTunes library for sources. The only issue we have with it is when the bedroom door is open and the A/C unit was on - it "waved" in the wind
WBCCI #7192
N6ROQ
bci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We have a 27FB, which came new with a 30 in TV in the living room & a 22 in TV in the bedroom. I took out both & put the 30 in the bedroom. I then mounted a rotating & extending mount on the living room wall & attached a 40 in TV to it. In order for the TV not to extend into the hallway when traveling, I have to rotate the TV 90 degrees (so its long axis is vertical), but other than that, it works just fine.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Naples , Florida
I had a 32" in mine and went down to 24" because the 32" was right in your face. I've been in ones that have larger ones and same thing, they are just to large. I think it's a choice you have to make yourself.
FreedomRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The 26" in my Classic is just right from the dinette booth, but a little small from the couch.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
We have a 32" television in our new Classic and it does seem too small when viewing from the sofa. Our mount is extendable and we can extend the TV about 24" out from the wall (towards the sofa) and this seems to make a big difference.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Great ideas!

I don't know what I was thinking with saying a 50". That would be crazy big. Lol! I was just brainstorming the possibilities. I do know that the Itty bitty shelf there is not gonna work. I have a 24" that I'm sitting 10 ft away from in the bedroom (house) and it's far too tiny--reading the captions on The Martian was impossible! But, I like the 42"? in the living room. That would be plenty, I think. But, if I put it where the TV hook up is, that wall is where the fridge is. Can I take those walls out and put in something sturdier? I definitely don't wanna drill into the fridge! :-) I like the idea of a swivel arm. A bigger TV would have to be at an angle, I think. ('The Stream is still being used to store stuff right now. This redo is still in the idea/planning/"do I really wanna take this on?" phase.) Thanks for all the ideas, y'all!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Can't figure out how to reply to each person. It just puts it at the end from what I can tell, but:
1) I'd love to see pics of your solutions!
2) "waterbed..." LOLOLOL!!! :-D
3) Great idea with the projector!, and I can just imagine the AC making it blow in the breeze. :-D
Old 08-04-2016, 03:17 AM   #15
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Just a thought here.
Have you ever considered going without a TV for the few weekends a year that you spend in your AS?
There is so much more to life than sitting in front of that thing.
And you and your family will be smarter, happier, more creative and more blessed without it.
To me, there's just something So incongruous about being out on an adventure and bringing that silly box with you.
Jerry
( who doesn't own a tv and hasn't for most of my adult life)

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I hear you, SoverignGal, and here's how I solved the problem. I did a complete gut and rebuild on my Ambassador, so I don't really know if you could do an easy retrofit using this design. I scooted out the curbside settee about 8" from the wall, and installed a long, thin area to store the monitor. Mine is a 40", but you could go bigger. Especially with 4K sets becoming more popular, I could see going a lot bigger?

The hanging rig on the back was fabbed up out of Home Depot parts and a cheapo TV wall mount from Harbor Freight. As to some sort of lift... I can see the advantages of pushing a button like a James-Bond-Villain, and the monitor rises up. Actually, my wine cabinet does that... anyway, most modern monitors are so light, it's not too difficult to just grab it and hang it up. The added benefit is that the monitor can be hung outside, off the galley window frame, for camp fire watching of the "big game", or in my case, samurai movies.

The audio is run through the trailer stereo system, for mock "surround" sound. Others have complained about not being able to hear properly over the roaring of the A/C, so you should factor some sort of amplification into your scenario. And headphones, and inverted power, and wiring for the transportable cable box and/or Blu-Ray, and being able to hook up to regular cable at fancy campgrounds. Going big requires a non-trivial solution!

Though as a nod to Ultradog, we find that we don't watch that much when camping. We tend to camp in a group, and are out and about most of the time. Though tucked in with my honey, watching a Coen Bros. or Kurosawa film on a rainy night ain't so bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-04 08.03.31.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	268296   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-04 08.05.40.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	268297  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-04 08.07.19.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	268298  
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Well I was going to show you a picture, but photobucket is blocked in this RV Park.

And of course this format is soooooo antiquated that it has no other way to post photos. Someone should mention to staff here, that other websites use this format and it's been updated to upload photos from the photo files on your computer. They should really buy the update for god's sake!

We have a 1988 Airstream 325 Classic Motorhome. I bought my boyfriend a 43 inch LED TV for his Birthday in May, he was totally STOKED man! Chris created a cabinet in the front over the driver/passenger seat, this is where the TV is stored during the drive. And no, it doesn't interfere with driving, or getting into/out of those seats. Frankly that was a LOT of wasted space above our heads. We are also able to store our DVDs there, and once we have bought a pad to place between the two, our large screen computer will go up there when we are driving too.

When we use the TV, it hangs from the ceiling created by the cabinet Chris made. He placed two spring loaded pull rings for the TV to hang from, and cut some metal pieces to create a bracket which he mounted on the TV back. Two carabiners on the brace top hook into the pull rings. We rotate the driver and passenger seats to accomodate the size of the TV. Our RV did not come with curtains for the front window, so Chris bought a large cream colored canvas tarp made for painters to cover things up He put hooks into the cabinet ceilings all around the perimeter, and large brass eyelets for the hooks. Privacy. It looks pretty good. Then he put a blue tarp to put on the outside of our Airstream front windows to darken it. The two tarps used together also keep it pretty cool inside.

We sit approximately 8 feet from the TV, it's a perfect size!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Wow! Great ideas!

Thanks SuzyHomemakr! I love that idea--and the pics!--it looks great! And PammieSue, that'sounds just what I was wondering! It's good to know that you can attach a TV the size to the ceiling to flip down, without damaging the trailer. I was afraid it would be too heavy.

And, I get what you're saying Ultradog, but, I would be full-timing, and if I am going to go down to a trailer, my one splurge is going to be a bigger TV. And a real, porcelain toilet, but that's another thread...

Thanks everyone! I am enjoying this thread and seeing everyone's ideas and pictures! It really helps. :-)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I too wouldn't mind a larger TV in my trailer for those rainy days/evenings.
However, I am sure that most of us remember when the standard TV tube size was 19" and a 27" TV was giant. My how times have changed.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I put together all the photos of Chris building his TV/Large Screen computer Cabinet over the driver/passenger seat area, and a place to hang the TV from, and a hanging brace on the TV.

One Drive. PLEASE PLEASE tell me if this link works and shows the entire folder of photos!
https://1drv.ms/a/s!Aj4oo4_XKepZg1qr0O3fU6wlny-g

Chris has built a number of storage places in our 1988 325 Classic Airstream MoHo. Shelf over the bed for blankets, sheets, and pillows. A headboard with a flip top for storage. I bought two solid wood shelves that were deep, but not very wide, and he bolted them to the wall, and to the floor. I put fabric covered bins in for drawers. Then he built shelves behind our new Dressers for even more storage. When you live in your AS, it needs to have plenty of storage.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote