Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Sony car radio is really stupidly complicated. I have to use the remote over my head when I am sitting down to run the speakers or pause a DVD. The speakers are right above our heads—too close for proper balance.

If I recall from last year, there was a source button and then you have to use the left and right buttons to work through it. I think the readout said CDC (Center for Disease Control?). There was also "aux" and "tuner". I think there is a pause before the sounds comes out.

There is also a setting for "fader" which is for the bedroom speakers in the FB units. Also balance and tone settings are available.

Is something turned all the way off so the speakers don't work?

The Samsung has a source or mode setting. For DVD's you have to change that from the default which is TV. You have to go through the menu and submenus to find it.

The whole process is a pain.

We are thinking of putting a small TV in the bedroom. There's a coaxial cable connection there and I guess it is the same as the one for the antenna or cable for the main cabin TV. I'm not sure where to attach a bracket for the TV—the shower partition is the obvious place, but I don't want to drill through into the shower. Maybe it can be attached to a rib in the exterior wall? Anyone done that?

Gene

Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Gene,

Mine came from the factory with a second TV in the bedroom. The bracket is attached to the shower partition and it is very sturdy. You should have no problem as there must be a wooden stud in there.

I planned to remove this TV over the winter and enjoy it in my house. The stands for both TV's were supplied loose, however no instructions on how to remove either TV from the respective wall brackets. I tried every plausible action short of ripping it off the wall to no avail. Here we have folks on this forum lamenting that their cabinets are falling off the walls and I need a nuclear detonation to shake the TV loose. The Airstream factory certainly makes an interesting product.

Don

Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Lucky Dog and DMT ... you made my day! Thanks for the vid.
And, Gene - the same for us on the Sony remote
... a contortionist to make it work right ... plus leave the overhead bin door open (for the IR signal) to knock your wife out when she gets up!

We were looking at getting a sat antenna and receiver, but do I really want more complexity? One of the main reasons for us choosing the AS was to be able to relax and not fight with the SOB designs.

I am smiling to my self as I read this continuing saga
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Don, does the bedroom TV play though the speaker system? I doubt it will in ours because there are no audio wires. I will probably contact Airstream about the mounting of a bracket because of my previously stated fear of drilling into the shower. In your trailer you face the partition, in ours we face the exterior wall. So we'd need a bracket that folds all the way out. It probably would take a really small TV for the space available and the size of the room. I need to replace the floor first.

Still thinking about getting back to Newfoundland some day—it has been 8 years since we were there.

Gene
Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First let me say that the techs at both the mothership and Colonial have been very responsive to my phone calls. That said the frustrating part is that it all came together last year and it all worked great before I put it away for the winter.

This is what I have done so far: Tried the TV with the speakers in the external and TV modes, insured it was on PCM and not dolby, Made sure the radio was in the CD mode and tried CD 1, 2 and 3 but they all show no disc even when the Blu Ray is playing. I also checked the wires and boxes behind the radio panel looking for loose connections and/or no lights showing but all to no avail. Did I leave anything out that I should have checked?

I spoke with a tech today but still no luck, we are going to run through it one more time tomorrow with the tech and if that does not work i take it in for repairs.

If I do get it fixed I will write down the protocol and post them.

John
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I spoke with a tech today but still no luck, we are going to run through it one more time tomorrow with the tech and if that does not work i take it in for repairs.

If I do get it fixed I will write down the protocol and post them.

John
I am taking a deep breath and on the edge of my seat ... ... with

A-n-t-i-c-iiiiiiiiii-p-a-yyyyyyyyyy----shun ....
Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I was wondering the exact same thing

I just installed new TV with built in tuner for HD programming. I did not want to add converter for $50 bucks to make current setup work. The sub was making noises after I plugged new tv rca jacks. Old Sharp tv said In 1 for rca yellow red white then another set yellow,red,white AVin 2. For new TV I only pluged in Yellow video and taped other wires and hide them in wire cover box. If you do tape be sure the RCAs are not allowed to touch each other or any metal. Someone told me about RCA to speaker jack but I am wondering if this is even worth it. I would have to figure out how active that source. If yours worked at one time is something simple! Either source on tv or source on sony player.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Don, does the bedroom TV play though the speaker system? I doubt it will in ours because there are no audio wires. I will probably contact Airstream about the mounting of a bracket because of my previously stated fear of drilling into the shower. In your trailer you face the partition, in ours we face the exterior wall. So we'd need a bracket that folds all the way out. It probably would take a really small TV for the space available and the size of the room. I need to replace the floor first.

Still thinking about getting back to Newfoundland some day—it has been 8 years since we were there.

Gene
Gene,
Only the dinette TV location has audio cables poking through the wall. They are hooked up to the TV but I never could get sound to play through the radio's speakers. Sound comes from the TV speaker and I'm fine with that. I just turn it down when watching a movie.

8 years is not long passing. If you make it back, and we include yours and mine, it would make three Airstreams on the island! We would make the news.

Don
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Don, you have the same wiring as ours, except the newer ones don't work.

If 3 Airstreams make the news, things are pretty quiet there. When we were there in '04, telephone workers, fisherman and provincial employees were all on strike. Then there was a snowstorm on the eastern side and the provincial highway dep't managers had to plow snow and they didn't do such a good job, but it melted fast. The fairly new premier had closed the provincial museum, not a popular move with us. We were there so early in the season, we were about the only tourists and I loved that.

Back to the perils of getting audio from the TV through the radio speakers. Maybe a call to Sony would help.

Gene
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The good news is I have the blu ray and the TV play through the Sony speakers. The bad news is I have a bad connector from the Sony radio to the trunlink box. Bill, one of the technicians at Colonial was able to identify the problem. After I explained the process that I went through he recommended that I run the USB cable from the USB connector in the front of the radio directly to the trunlink box. When I did I was able to play both the TV and bluray through the sony speakers.

They were willing to send me the part however I chose to take the AS to them. I might have been able to fix it but there is such a nest of wires in that little space I decided not risk it as I am no longer the contortionist I once was.

My thanks to all for your assistance.

John

John
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Glad to hear the diagnosis has been made and it appears it is fixed.

Electronics are made by demons who create buttons that make no sense to humans. Then they write instructions that are incomprehensible. It used to be easy to figure out a wire was bad, but now we assume it is us because we can't understand how things work. When the demons are finished writing electronics' instructions, they go work for banks and write "disclosures".

Gene
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
My trailer is older but I learned about this by pulling wires and replacing the head unit for those with units in the same vintage Here is what I discovered on this topic:

The Sony CD 5000 unit that I have/had provided two RCA connections for Left/Right input of sound. Airstream wired up a harness that was hooked up to this unit. When I swapped out the unit I learned that the first set of RCA (on the end) was the active input. that is the "in" for sound on older units.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Finally...a mystery solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
My trailer is older but I learned about this by pulling wires and replacing the head unit for those with units in the same vintage Here is what I discovered on this topic:

The Sony CD 5000 unit that I have/had provided two RCA connections for Left/Right input of sound. Airstream wired up a harness that was hooked up to this unit. When I swapped out the unit I learned that the first set of RCA (on the end) was the active input. that is the "in" for sound on older units.
I have the same 2006 Safari 25 ft., and from what I gather here is that I can possibly connect my Combo TV/DVD player to those two pigtailed RCA plugs (in the street side armrest) and through some lucky selections on the Sony CD 5000 (that is one highly mecanized unit) I may be able to get some sound from the Sony speakers over the couch and control volume from the remote that came with the Sony factory radio????
Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Yes but one of the RCA plugs is for a sub regardless though they go to the head unit.

I replaced my head unit a few months ago. The new one does the same thing only the connector is in the front as a miniplug aux jack. It works beautifully. You can use the fade control to choose front, back or all speakers.