Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
New York , New York
Any airstreams out there with a *lot* of tech gadgetry?

I'm thinking of fulltiming for a year (or more?) while continuing to work. I'm a manager in the tech industry, and have a lot of gadgetry I'd like to see implemented in the 'stream. I have no idea about power consumption or where to put much of it, so I was looking to talk with someone who had done something like this. (or will I be a first?)

Here's what I'm looking at:
International 27 or 28, or possibly Panamerica (convert garage into the office? I worry that the remaining area is too small to fulltime in though)

- Tandberg T1000 Video Conferencing unit (mount under TV?)
- 24 or 30" monitor (replace TV?)
- Satellite internet and TV, as well as Bonded EVDO (3-4 cards? what multiplexer to use?) connectivity (satellite is too high latency for vidconf, but EVDO isn't available everywhere)
- Wireless for laptop
- HD and Satellite radio
- TIVO
- As much solar/wind/battery as possible (with generator backup) to be able to run this wherever

As a sidenote, the bed of the truck will be hauling a BMW 1150GS, so there is limited storage space there (and no way to do a cap or anything). I have a dog, too, so the back seat of the crew cab is mostly taken up as well.

I'm aware that all of this sounds crazy but if anyone has done anything similar, I'd love to chat.

-d
dre00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In our trailer (fulltiming for over a year) we have two HD tv sets, HD dvd player, regular dvd player, vcr, satellite dish (dish sits on the ground, and is piped to the receiver, then to the tv's through the 75 ohm cable), two laptops, DVD collection, CD collection on Ipod and external hard drive, until last week we had our own internal WiFi, and so on. I've been in a PanAmerica, and it seems to be about the size of a wide-body 23' trailer up front, with plenty of room for a good-size office in the toy hauler section.
We also have a dog, though smaller than yours, she can take up a lot of space on the bed.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
SmokelessJoe's renovation

SmokelessJoe has done some really cool work on his renovation. Here's a link to the thread documenting his work. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Really neat renovation.

maccamper
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Off the grid or ON?

I notice you're in NYC - so unless you're planning on being off the grid, your power consumption isn't truly going to be an issue. Most places you can park will have 20, 30 and 50 amp service available.

If you are going to boondock or camp without hookups, you'll probably need two Honda 2000 gensets with a parallel kit - or one 3000. The 3000 weighs 138 lbs... which is too much for most of us to wrestle on and off of a truck bed. The 2000's weigh 58 lbs each. when run in parallel they can even power your air conditioner. A rig with two batteries can run lights, fans, etc. for about 5-8 days if you're conservative, but will drain out quickly with computers, TV's etc.

Airstream of Arkansas has one of the toy haulers in stock right now. You'll never hear a bad word about their sales or service. The other possibility might be a 34' with the movable table and freestanding chairs. I think there's one on the classifieds here.

Paula Ford
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
New York , New York
The NYC thing is where I'm currently living, but my main RV spots will be LA, San Jose, and rural PA (my own land with water but no electricity; looking at doing a standalone solar setup I could plug into when there).

Why would the generator weight matter? Why not just leave it in the bed of the truck?

Re: Panamerica -- my biggest gripe was in the living area -- the bar style lounge does not seem ideal for relaxing. I feel like I'd be just as well off in a 28 CCD and reconfigure the dinette or something.

Colonial said they would have a Panamerica by Halloween; maybe if I saw it in person I'd change my mind. Though the price tag is a killer..
dre00 is offline   Reply With Quote