Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

More ...

Check out the propane tanks in this photo of an Airstream 31' Sovereign recently being offered on ebay in Jay, Maine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jay-me.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2765  
Silver City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:11 PM   #22
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I can see in the picture whay they need the big tanks. THEY LEFT THE FRONT VENT OPEN!

We stored ours for 6 weeks in Wisconsin and kept it heated because we were going to FL over christmas. Weather was typical WI nov and dec, but for 2 weeks the nights were -20. I went thru a 30 LB tank every 3 days and I was supplementing with a small space heater and only trying to maintain 45-50 degrees inside. Big tanks good, small tanks bad,
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

"I can see in the picture whay they need the big tanks. THEY LEFT THE FRONT VENT OPEN! "

And the windows ... silly them.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #24
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Back in 83 I went up to Alaska for a time.
I lived in a cabover camper for 2 1/2 years.
It was about a third the size of a 31 foot AS.
It was a experience that I wouldn't trade for a lot of finer places to live. I didn't have water. But I did have electricity for a single 60 watt bulb.
The propane stove, fridge and furnace all chugged along perfectly for the 30 months I lived in it.
I showered at the Y in Anchorage. Brought my water home in a 4 gal plastic jug. I worked hard, ate well, Boiled my coffee in the morning. Didn't have a phone or tv.
I read a lot of books.
I learned a great deal about the difference between my wants and my needs.

Experiences like that are often uncomfortable.
But afterwards you find yourself with a deeper level of appreciation for the things that really count.
And it stays with you.
So that you some times long for that simple space and time when you could turn on the stove with one hand and index through your library with the other. All while sitting at your 'kitchen' table.
You could live well in an Airstream.
For a time.
I recommend it in fact.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I'm excited about this adventure. The owner still hasn't cleared up the title, but I'm confident he'll get it together in the next week.

In the meantime I'm trying to sell things off on Ebay and figure out the best way to squeeze three computers in the airstream. For the kind of work I do I don't see any way to operate with less. My biggest concern is not having cable modem. I've had several people tell me Satellite is not real reliable. To top it off, I currently run a web server on my cable line. I'll probably have to give that up if I go satellite.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. I figure if the winter gets too tough for me, I can probably go find a place in Florida to camp until the spring. If I have a job and can't leave Ohio, I'm sure I can find a studio somewhere in the area to stay in for a few months.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Go for it

Ultradog,

I envy you. I had a mere two weeks vacation in Alaska and loved it. Our bus tour driver in Denali National Park kept up a running monologue of her experiences living year round in a tiny one room cabin and all I could think is what the hell was I doing when I was young and independent? I was amazed by the resiliency and joy of living.

Narnian.

Go for it. Cincinnati is not all that cold. I know. I lived there 6 years. Think about it. Thoreau endured Walden Pond in a lot worse than an Airstream. And what do we have? A classic on what life is all about. You have a grand opportunity.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Question Oil heat in an A/S

I have been reading the posts regarding full time living and/or living in a travel trailer through the winter when the temp. can drop to 0 degrees or below zero, and I have a question regarding heating the trailer. From what I have read the one concern expressed is the cost and comfort of using propane for heat, and I suppose this is with the original furnace installed in the trailer. I have searched the web and have found a site that sells small direct vent oil fueled heaters up to 40,000 BTU's capacity. I am considering living full-time in a travel trailer and was wondering if installing one of these type of heaters would solve the heating problem. This would be a permanent site, and I would have an outside 275 gallon fuel tank. The size of the heater seems small enough that I could remove some small cabinet and install the heater in its place. Being direct vent would only require cutting a 4" 5" hole through the side of the wall, as no chimney is required. The cost of the heater is around $1,000, but this would seem to be acceptable as the costs to heat would be much lower than using propane, and the comfort level should be that of a house. Does anyone have any info. of the practicality of doing the above? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:35 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

A "Monitor" heater might be a good choice for this ....

Have a look at:
http://www.medfordfuel.com/monitor_stoves.htm
Old 10-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #29
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
the biggest issue with an oil fied heater is if you do not connect it into the duct system of the trailer you run a high risk of freezing the contents of your holding tanks. There are offshoots from the current ductwork that keep the warm air moving around the tanks to reduce the chance of freezing. Just heating the inside of the coach will not keep the tanks liquid, liquid.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:46 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

During some hard times growing up my parents lived in a 16ft and I lived in a 12ft box trailer in the foothills of Sequoia National Forrest. It snowed every winter. It was cramped but we managed to survive for 3 years like that. Running water, septic tank hook up and plenty of power was available. We did need to run on 12v during power outages. Our propane tank was 250 gallons and rented from the gas company on a keep full service. During the hardest part of winter we would go for 2 months without a refill. The electric heat was used to suppliment the gas heat and worked very well. We didn't have a choice in our living quarters and made due. But it did work. If you decide to live in your trailer go for it. If you do not like it buy a larger used mobile home to live in and onve your home is built sell the mobile home off. If you work it right you can sell off the mobile at a profit.

Best of luck on your long term plans
Old 10-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

I am also at the same junction.

But, people do it all the time.

I think southern climate is much better than maine, etc. I don't think I would full time in a really cold climate. Maybe with much experience.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:05 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Time is drawing near for me to move into mine.
Yea, looking foward to it.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

I still haven't sold my house. I may not be moving into my 31' till spring at this rate!
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Hi Narhnian,

I spent a couple of weeks travelling across country in early January one year, northern US and Canada, in temps of -28 celcius. In a "stick and staple" built 19ft trailer. It was cold and I had to prepare for it. I used water out of a 5 gall. contaier (previously winterized whole water system).. The toilet was used but was flushed using a pan of water. I put antifreeze in the holding tank (two galls) and it was not a proble. The real problem was the cold temps and the propane. At those low temps the amount of gas boiling off from the liquid is greatly reduced. I couldn't run with one 30lb bottle open, heater consumed more than what boiled off. Two 30 lb bottles oped, no problem.

Re windows and condesation - use plastic film and make a storm window. Worst scenario use styrofoam sheets and cut out blocks to cover the windows - greatest source of heat loss.

Skirt trailer somehow - straw bales, canvas etc - what ever works to keep the cold weather/winds out.

Once the snow has built up around you r unit, it should provide an insulating factor - don't know how much though. Also, ventilation is a factor, but this brings in dry cold air. Exists as warm moist air!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it and don't worry, just be prepared for the worst.

Good luck
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

I hope I sell my house soon so I can find out. I'm thinking I can find an electric dehumidifier from WalMart to help with condensation.

I'm still unemployed too though, so realistically, if I don't find a job before I sell the house, I might just hitch up and winter in Florida. I don't know how hard it is to find good rates during the winter down there, but I imagine it's going to be less expensive than what I'll spend on fuel up here.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Check this out...

I've been looking at pricing on month long stays in RV Parks in Florida and found this....

http://www.rvonthego.com/packages_main.asp

They have one month stays for first time visitors for $149/month plus electric, which I think I read is $1 per day. You can go from park to park for $149/month... if I am reading it correctly. I have seen a few of these parks in the Tampa area and they ain't bad!

Geez, I may rent my house out and move from park to park for a year and save big bucks!

Florida Weather Report.... The humidity is leaving, and the nice weather is blowing in this week. Come on down!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Oh yeah... I have a dehumidifier running in my AS all the time while parked in my backyard. I bought it at Sears. I have a hose running out behind the fridge so it empties automatically. It keeps everything nice and dry inside.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Just looking through some of these old threads, and your original post caught my eye - the part about liking a backyard to lie under your truck and turn bolts. Usually, I find myself lying under a vehicle turning nuts!
pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

I turned nuts a long time ago, so I only spin bolts now!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:46 AM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So how's it going? Sold the house yet.....fulltiming in your 31'?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote