Old 08-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
(like the name ) I lived in a slide on pickup camper for almost 2 years. It is mind over matter...if you don't mind it, it don't matter! I agree with the earlier post about the LP costs specially in that area, see how much it would be to put a bulk tank down and hook it up, that will save you alittle bit anyway.

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Im currently living in my 27 foot overlander. I moved in about 2 months ago. I have it on my property where I purchased a cabin that needs some work before I can live in it. The things I have going for me are that I have electric, phone, cable tv, septic tank, and an outhouse just in case. I am getting ready for my first Colorado winter in the airstream. I'm not positive it's going to work, but I have to try it. I too am thinking of anything that I may need to make things easier. I plan to possibly go through a bottle (30 pounds) of propane a week if things get bad, 15 bucks a fill local. Home depot has 100 pound tanks for 80 bucks. The would last much longer. 50 bucks to fill. Something to think about. Also, you always get a better deal if the propane truck delivers the gas to you out of the bulk truck. A small tank is expensive, but can be rented at most bulk fill companys. The extra money for rent each month may be worth it, something to think about. Read all the post here about winter topics. I have only the things I need in the airstream, everything else I own is in a very small cabin on the property. I'm wondering if it would be better to use the city hookup or the on board water tank for water?

Go for it! What's the worst that could happen?

overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #17
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Originally posted by overlander76

What's the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen?

You'll get buried in a snowstorm, lose electricity and run out of propane. You'll freeze your a** off, and all of your pipes will freeze and split. Your gray and black water tanks will freeze and crack causing a huge smelly mess; provided that you live through freezing without propane.

Plan ahead. Colorado ain't the Florida Keys in January!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Okay ... for 14 years I lived six miles up the North St. Verain Canyon from Lyons, Colo. (just west of you).

I can remember some years where the temp droped to -20 and stayed there for a week. I can also remember being "snowed in" for a week at a time.

Granted, your on the Plains rather than in the mountains but you'll have to take the winter weather seriously.

Get the biggest tank you can from the local bulk supplier and have them put you on an automatic refil plan. This'll take one worry away.

Living in a metal can is going to get cold at times. Make sure you'll have proper ventalation.

Just take it seriously, plan ahead, have a back up plan and you should do okay.

I wish you well ...
Attached Images
Silver City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Another thought ...

If I were you I would consider getting hay bales and stacking them in rows around the base of the trailer in order to "try" and retain as much heat as possible to the undercarriage of the trailer .. thus "trying" to stave off the real possibility of having your plumbing and propane lines from freezing. Heat tape might help.

I have to tell you from real experience I'm liking this idea less and less.

Your windows and most likely your interior walls are going to glaze over with ice from just the condinsation of your breath. This is going to cause a wet and messy problem on the days it does thaw.

I should also mention here that I also lived in Maine for 9 years and know what cold is all about and to be frank I don't like it one bit.

Please give SERIOUS consideration to this venture.

All in all ... It Won't be Fun.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to summerwine
From Utah:
I live in my Airstream..a '74 31 ft International. I have had it Parked( taken tires off and skirted) for 8 years on Boulder Mountain in southern Utah I live there from April to Oct ( the winters can be brutal) But My view of The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument ( 5.7 million acres) is terrific! The experience is I too have most of the ameneties..septic, phone, water, satalite TV, internet,propane( delivered) a large shed( for stuff) and a couple acres to call my own. I have found that you dont buy the things you always thought you needed with a house, and there is planty of room for a one person lifestyle. Where I am is quite remote so survival mode is always something to address. I have stayed in here in cold temps and am preparing for some future winter stays possibly...The water lines are all underground now...and the skirting has helped immensly. Looks better too.But I dont travel in it. If you get prepared you can survive quite nicely my opinion. The airstream is good for winter because the snow doesnt stay on the roof..Ive been told but we have had our drought years here so not much snow to speak of last couple years Im at about 7500 ft.High desert with national forest 10 ft behind me. Good luck! Its actually quite a challange! And yes the outdoors is your living room, if you make it that!
summerwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
More ...

Check out the propane tanks in this photo of an Airstream 31' Sovereign recently being offered on ebay in Jay, Maine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jay-me.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2765  
Old 08-22-2003, 08:11 PM   #22
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I can see in the picture whay they need the big tanks. THEY LEFT THE FRONT VENT OPEN!

We stored ours for 6 weeks in Wisconsin and kept it heated because we were going to FL over christmas. Weather was typical WI nov and dec, but for 2 weeks the nights were -20. I went thru a 30 LB tank every 3 days and I was supplementing with a small space heater and only trying to maintain 45-50 degrees inside. Big tanks good, small tanks bad,
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
"I can see in the picture whay they need the big tanks. THEY LEFT THE FRONT VENT OPEN! "

And the windows ... silly them.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #24
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Back in 83 I went up to Alaska for a time.
I lived in a cabover camper for 2 1/2 years.
It was about a third the size of a 31 foot AS.
It was a experience that I wouldn't trade for a lot of finer places to live. I didn't have water. But I did have electricity for a single 60 watt bulb.
The propane stove, fridge and furnace all chugged along perfectly for the 30 months I lived in it.
I showered at the Y in Anchorage. Brought my water home in a 4 gal plastic jug. I worked hard, ate well, Boiled my coffee in the morning. Didn't have a phone or tv.
I read a lot of books.
I learned a great deal about the difference between my wants and my needs.

Experiences like that are often uncomfortable.
But afterwards you find yourself with a deeper level of appreciation for the things that really count.
And it stays with you.
So that you some times long for that simple space and time when you could turn on the stove with one hand and index through your library with the other. All while sitting at your 'kitchen' table.
You could live well in an Airstream.
For a time.
I recommend it in fact.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
I'm excited about this adventure. The owner still hasn't cleared up the title, but I'm confident he'll get it together in the next week.

In the meantime I'm trying to sell things off on Ebay and figure out the best way to squeeze three computers in the airstream. For the kind of work I do I don't see any way to operate with less. My biggest concern is not having cable modem. I've had several people tell me Satellite is not real reliable. To top it off, I currently run a web server on my cable line. I'll probably have to give that up if I go satellite.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. I figure if the winter gets too tough for me, I can probably go find a place in Florida to camp until the spring. If I have a job and can't leave Ohio, I'm sure I can find a studio somewhere in the area to stay in for a few months.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Go for it

I envy you. I had a mere two weeks vacation in Alaska and loved it. Our bus tour driver in Denali National Park kept up a running monologue of her experiences living year round in a tiny one room cabin and all I could think is what the hell was I doing when I was young and independent? I was amazed by the resiliency and joy of living.

Go for it. Cincinnati is not all that cold. I know. I lived there 6 years. Think about it. Thoreau endured Walden Pond in a lot worse than an Airstream. And what do we have? A classic on what life is all about. You have a grand opportunity.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
Question Oil heat in an A/S

I have been reading the posts regarding full time living and/or living in a travel trailer through the winter when the temp. can drop to 0 degrees or below zero, and I have a question regarding heating the trailer. From what I have read the one concern expressed is the cost and comfort of using propane for heat, and I suppose this is with the original furnace installed in the trailer. I have searched the web and have found a site that sells small direct vent oil fueled heaters up to 40,000 BTU's capacity. I am considering living full-time in a travel trailer and was wondering if installing one of these type of heaters would solve the heating problem. This would be a permanent site, and I would have an outside 275 gallon fuel tank. The size of the heater seems small enough that I could remove some small cabinet and install the heater in its place. Being direct vent would only require cutting a 4" 5" hole through the side of the wall, as no chimney is required. The cost of the heater is around $1,000, but this would seem to be acceptable as the costs to heat would be much lower than using propane, and the comfort level should be that of a house. Does anyone have any info. of the practicality of doing the above? Thanks.
DnnRe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:35 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
A "Monitor" heater might be a good choice for this ....

Have a look at: