Airstream of Consciousness
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from Ga. . . probably the wife was toughest
Probably = not sure, still thinking about it, was it really that tough? Good luck.

FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I just read the article in Airstream Life about technomads. People who via technology are able to fulltime, travel, and still make a living. My job could allow this. Alas, I look at the house we live in and the accumulations we have. I know I can get rid of a lot of life's clutter.

That said, not sure the wife could.

For one, I like to backpack. That means I have more than one tent. More than one sleeping bag. I have a closet full (backpackers know what I am talking about). Depending on the trip I need to vary what I carry.

For hobbies, I play hockey (mucho gear, and it stinks, not trailer freindly). I like to brew beer. Also mucho gear (bottles, pots, small kegs, not quite a closet full).

My questions are, how do others do it? Do they simplify thier lifes to traveling but no extensive hobbies/other activities?

I own a canoe, 4 bikes (road, mtn, leasure, wife's), I wood work on the side, fish, hunt, and backpack. All these hobbies accumulate gear. This is just my stuff, not the wife's.

I like the idea of getting out and not being in one spot too long. I just cannot reconcile it in my head.

I ask others to try to reconcile it. Explain how they were to let go of things they were doing.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
The choice about "giving up all your stuff" is really quite simple. Either you own it, and hence you can dump it whenever you choose, or, it owns you and you're stuck with it until you die. And, if the latter, upon your demise, someone gives it to Goodwill, sells it, or just puts it in the trash. That puts "stuff" in perspective for me.
Airstream of Consciousness
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Certainly Blessed
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
although we haven't completely simplified our lives, we have done quite a bit. Frankly, a good purge of stuff can be liberating. I can honestly say that there are exactly 3 things in my house I would not want to get rid of should I full time...however, we've moved 4 times since 2007 and moving makes simplifying easier.

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Gadgets = my personal weakness. I just don't buy them any more.

Hi, Paula. Didn't you just buy another sewing machine off E-bay?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I am preparing to go full time in my mind...

I have a post it note on the kitchen cabinet that says, Full you really need this? I too love to read and the Kindle is the greatest!

When you start looking at all your "stuff" as could I walk out the door and never see, touch or have that again, it is very liberating. Like everyone who is full timing said it's all in your mind.

Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Me and Angel - the fellow I take care of, gave up the invitation to living on the street. Along with that we gave up having to live (because of this Airstream) in a square trailer.
We gave up being 'nobodies' - to be 'somebodies'.
I too own my own business as a mural artist, and the Airstream streamlines this to where can move anywhere. Even right to where we are painting- just like 'cool' contractors at a job site, now the AS acts as the office /home. So we gave up living in a house that would probably have at least one insane neighbor on one side,and a crack house on the other.
Angel gets 'a crazy check )' and together we make a modest living. Nothing spectacular accept for the great outdoors we look forward to. And this (what I call survival) style of living is adding years to our life expectancy.
Here's a story for you.
A scientist doctor took some simple bacteria- placed it into a culture and gave it everything it needed....and in turn it died off.
Then the doctor took some more of the same bacteria - and deprived it of everything, and once again it died off.
On the third attempt, he gave his bacteria a little bit. And then took away a little bit.
and then gave some more, and again took away some again. Doing this over and over each day- and in return, and to his delight the bacteria began to thrive and grow.
Thats the lesson we live by. We now have the great unknown to look forward to.... Don't have to worry above having a garage piled high with accumulation. Have the internet as a window to the great outdoors. And a lot of admiration from the kin folks from both sides. Out of living on the street we still have too many very nice coats hanging in the closet
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Paula. Didn't you just buy another sewing machine off E-bay?
Uh huh I did, and as a result I'm unloading one - the tiny Genome will become a starter machine for a friend's daughter.

One IN, One OUT!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
We have been full timing for two year. We have what we call the 80/20 rule. That is that 80% of the things that we own are superfluous, while the 20% is truly important. As a result we have, over the last two years, identified what is important in our lives and concentrated on that and at the same time eliminated the 80%. It has been a liberating experience for both of us.

We work at seasonal jobs that either do not require dress clothes or that provide uniforms.

We both love to read. Kindles and IPADS are perfect choices..we have one of each.

Jeanie crochets, I scrimshaw and make are simple, small and stored in the truck.

Christmas decorations cozier of a very small ceramic tree that sits behind the sink in our 27' safari and stows under the bed for travel.

What do we miss? Jeanie says "bath tub". Me, I really do not miss anything from the stick built house. Life on the road is my dream come true and "things" are just temporary...the memories from our travels are my reward for doing without a few conveniences.
Living life on the Road
deauxrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #25
1970 31' Sovereign
Hillsboro , North Dakota
Im retired on social security, live full time in a 31' airstream sovereign. find parks on my lap top. Must be flexable travel light no unnecessary clothes, tools, etc. keep costs down, i.e. no xmas decorations, satilite dishes etc. However love to paddle my canoe, fish, hike outdoors stuff. winter comes, I go south, summer comes I go north. etc.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2005 22' Safari
san diego , California
i have always lived as a minimalist, so i don't miss 'stuff'. i've been living full time in my 22ft for 6 months now, and the Only thing i miss is instant hot water.
shinyteepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
1964 24' Tradewind
johnsoncity , Tennessee

Travel light and you want sink.
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
John and I are on our way to fulltiming. We started off by selling our 3 bedroom 2 bath home to our oldest son, got rid of a bunch of "stuff", and gave most of our furniture away. We stored things like old pictures and memorabilia in a storage building at our sons house. We moved into a one bedroom apartment. We wanted to make sure that we could give up all of our luxuries and have no regrets before moving into the Airstream. I have to say, I dont miss the house or the bills that came along with it, and I am ready to move to a campground. We are awaiting an answer about a work camp job near the smokies, and if they call, we will be moving hopefully this week. It is still within driving distance from where I work, so for now, I will continue to work there and John will work at the campground. Our goal is to one day buy a campground and live in our Airstream and run it. We like to hike, ride bikes, fish, and sew, so we will make adjustments to make all these things work. I love reading about fulltimers and how they manage. Our most favorite thing to do is camp in the Airstream, I cant wait to get to do it every day! I may change my mind in a few years, but I really doubt it. I do believe it is meant for some, but not for all. Most of our friends and family think we are crazy and just dont get "it", but thats okay. You either love to camp or you like to camp, and for us, it is love.

John & Tammy Adams
Silver Threads Custom RV Curtains
2000 Airstream Excella | AIR 15902
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote