Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #71
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
I'm happy Marie that you actually have a gaucho left in your Sovereign. Ours was missing. We still haven't figured out for sure what we will be sitting on, much less who will cover it. I did find a place called foamorder.com that seemed to be the cheapest for custom cuts of foam. They also wrap it in dacron for a more "sofa like" quality.

Please know that you are always welcome here in the Heartland. We'll feed you full of great Kansas City barbeque.
Beth, have you tried Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage, Mo? They may have a gaucho that will fit. We put a walkover gaucho in our Overlander, and it fit well, with minor modification to the arms.
Thanks for the invite, we'll have to make a list and get directions of all the people that would like for us to visit before we leave.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good morning,

The big push right now is to get her ready for the weekend. My sister has convinced us to go camping with her and her family (SOB) owners. We're almost there.

The flooring and curtains will not be ready, and onboard water tank leaks but, hey, we'll be roughing it.

I saw a picture of the curtains and boy are they beautiful!! Fabric has been ordered for the gaucho and will be there shortly.

All we have to do today is get the dog groomed, both have therapy, finish install on hot water heater, re- clean after items were fixed, find temporary rug for bathroom floor, and go to the grocery store for pic nic items, install mattresses, make beds, etc, etc, etc. I hope Cookie can remember the way to the groomer since she may have to take herself.

Have a great day.

Marie

Ps: also have to get truck serviced

Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #73
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
.......draining the aquarium in the left wing window..... water tank (leaks somewhere undetermined). A major issue that I will be addressing is the sag in the frame. It is behind the reinforcement plates, and ahead of the holding tanks. Either I or someone I can "volunteer" will need to remove the belly pan and see what repairs are needed. The sag, again, is about the thickness of my index finger across the nail. Not bad, yet, but I am aware of it, and it bugs me. Also, the sooner it gets fixed, the less further damage will occur.
Terry, how are going to repair that window? Pleeeeze let us know. Everything I read says not to take them apart, but I can't figure any other way to do it. Frame issues: Take a look at my Full Monty thread to see how I did it. Basically, I had a small amout of sag, so I had some steel inserts made to go back there to reinforce the frame. Water leak: I bet you find it is associated with the fresh water inlet or the pipe from the inlet to the tank. Maybe one of the smaller pipes around the inlet side of the tank (just a guess based on what I've read and encountered on mine).

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #74
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Repair of the window is easy, drill a small hole in the base of the windowframe near the bottom of the glass, then use a similar size diamond tipped drill bit to drill through the first pane of glass.
Our brother in law is going to assist with the frame droop, it is behind the area where most frames sagged. We will jack up the area, and weld reinforcing pieces on the frame.
I haven't chased the fresh water tank leak yet, I was too busy chasing the hot water tnk inlet line leak. It is no longer leaking (yay!), and one of the tv's is mounted on the forward bulkhead in the bedroom.
Here are a couple of photos from the adventure this weekend, astute observers may notice further changes than have been previously related:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 164.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	38220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 167.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	38221  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 181.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	38222  
Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Please pardon the mess in the inside of the coach, but the 3 year old visited and we had not gotten it put back together before Terry took the picture. Actually we are still in the process of learning where we will be putting stuff in the coach and of course, no floor covering will make it look messy.
The "cool Silver" towels and floor mats for the bathroom from Penney's came in today, and for the price, they are very nice. I did keep to much out for the kitchen and had to cut back even more, but pretty much every thing else was a good guess.

Marie
Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

Tammy, silver threads, did a beautiful job on the curtains. They came today and are perfect. I can't wait to get them hung up in Bertha.

Marie
Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #77
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
How does the SOTR fit after the Overlander? Does it seem big?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #78
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
How does the SOTR fit after the Overlander? Does it seem big?
We are thinking about scheduling shuttle flights from the living room to the bathroom...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #79
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Since I was told I was not to install the new TV antenna, I stopped by our local Airstream dealer to see how much it would cost to have it done "professionally". They told me it would take about a half hour, and $45 labor. "Are you sure? You'll have to pull off an interior panel to route the cable."
"yes. that's standard charge for replacing a tv antenna."
Okay, sign me up, it's not worth falling off the roof for less than $50. So at the appointed time this afternoon, I showed up with Bertha in tow, and dropped it off. A couple of hours later, I was informed that it would take 4 hours, and over $400, to install the antenna, because they had to pull off an interior skin (hello, I told 'em that) and run 12v to the antenna (what's wrong with the 12v power that is hooked to the antenna that's there?)
I know I can install the antenna in an hour and a half, and I'm a cripple!
I know they have to make money, but that's a bit much.
I guess I will wait until I can get on the roof and do it myself. $400. Sheesh.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Let's see now,

The curtains are here, the gaucho cover is on the way, bought a silver trash can for the kitchen, linens for the beds, bathrooms and kitchen. So far so good.

We started putting down the floor tiles yesterday and will be going to Home Depot today to get a few more, then we will install the carpet, curtains, and gaucho cover.

Full timing is getting closer and I can't wait.

Marie
Old 06-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #81
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Here are a couple of photos from the adventure this weekend, astute observers may notice further changes than have been previously related:
I guess the change was too subtle for most viewers to notice...Look closely at the tow vehicle...Notice anything different about it? Like, it's newer, and doesn't have an extended cab? But it's exactly the same color ...
We liked Moose, but there were a few things that were going to cost a bucket of money, which we don't have now, as well as taking several weeks to get the parts. The new ULSD fuel was playing havoc on the injector pump (it started leaking a while back, and the leak has gotten worse), one of the auxilliary transmissions was having problems shifting, and, of course, the air conditioning went away during the recent trip to give Goliath to his new caretakers. I won't even mention the small rust spots that turned into huge rust holes in the roof while I was convalescing. While I can fix all the things
this time around, I currently have no place to perform the repairs (no working on vehicles allowed in this trailer park), and the delay in getting the new parts for the auxilliary transmission was an issue to think about for the future, if there is another problem on the road. I wouldn't want to spend 3 weeks sitting along the road somewhere, so we got a vehicle that we can get parts for at any Napa.
The new tow vehicle is also an F250, but a standard cab, instead of an extended cab, and a 5.8 gas engine instead of the turbo diesel, and 5 speed instead of an automatic with the two auxilliary transmissions. It now also has a cap (topper) on the bed to hold our surplus and seasonal stuff and keep it dry. It has no rust, either, and the air conditioner blows cold.
I was able to find someone that really wanted Moose, and I sold it to him for enough money to purchase the new truck. I would have preferred a diesel, but the new truck is in such good shape I went ahead and got it. It did well on the trip to Ocala, getting a tad over 10 mpg, and was able to keep up our speed of 60 mph up the hills on the way there. (yes, there are hills in Florida, some kind of steep) It gets 15 not towing, not bad for a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
wow.

i guess that'll teach me to get really involved in our own airstream project and not pay attention to the forums! i pretty much JUST NOW caught up on the whole "sell Goliath, buy new(er) AS, sell the house and go fulltiming" saga late last night and early this morning. again... wow.

hubby and i are trying to get our own trailer ready (or at least ready to hit the road) by the end of the month (end of June), so i hope we'll run into ya somewhere i think that "where are we camping now" blog/thread thingie is a GREAT idea! also, if your antenna isn't finished or fixed by the time we're done with our trailer, my hubby might be able to help you with that.

i'm just so impressed what all you've done... injuries notwithstanding. you guys are truly an inspiration!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #83
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
wow.

i guess that'll teach me to get really involved in our own airstream project and not pay attention to the forums! i pretty much JUST NOW caught up on the whole "sell Goliath, buy new(er) AS, sell the house and go fulltiming" saga late last night and early this morning. again... wow.
Things happen fast around our house. We're thinking about providing score cards so everyone can keep up...
One of the things I always do to a new-to-us vehicle, is go through and replace all the belts and hoses, and change all the fluids and filters, as well as light bulbs and windshield wipers. That way I have a baseline on when the last time all this was done. I had the oil changed, a u-joint replaced, and replaced the belt, and was planning to replace the hoses next week, but the new truck didn't want to wait. One of the heater hoses started weeping last night, so I'll be getting the heater hoses replaced tomorrow, and the rest of the hoses next weekend.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good afternoon,

Today we completed the floor tile install in the kitchen and bathroom, and Terry got the carpet down in the living room. And only one trip to home depot! I put tiles down for the first time and the area around the toilet gave me a blooming fit. It still doesn't satisfy me so I may redo them. I had to piece some areas together and I think it looks awful.

Bertha is really starting to come together. I can't wait to get the curtains hung, and the new gaucho cover on. That will really show the difference and improvement.

We were going to take the camera and get pictures, but both of us forgot it. I promise to take it next time.

Well it's almost 6pm so I need to get dinner ready or they will fire the cook. And Cookie and Suzie act like they are starving to death.

More later

Marie

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel