Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #701
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Springfield is quite a hop from Little Rock, but let me know if you should happen to detour anywhere near Springfield--Safe travels to you both. Can't wait to hear about your next (mis) adventure. You guys are a hoot!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #702
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good morning,

The countdown to launch is getting closer.

My boss did see me on the internet yesterday, but she laughed it off, and went on about her way. She knew I was only goofing off for a few minutes. Like I have time to goof off! My work ethics drive me nuts sometimes, My last week of work there, and I still work as hard as I did the first week. Some of my residents families asked if I had a picture of our airstream so I was showing them the thread and the pictures, I was supposed to be doing the staffing schedules, but what I was doing was important too.

Anyway, tonight I have to finish the curtain for the van, and start stowing stuff in the coach. We seem to be on a schedule, and sticking to it.

Terry posted our itenarary, (sp), so anyone along the route is more than welcome to ask us to stop or visit. We hope to meet many of you as we start our next adventure.

Someone asked Terry to write a book about all that's happened, but who has time. We are to busy enjoying lifes hazards.

Have a good day,

Marie
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #703
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post

Terry, Marie, and Sophie ~ I wish I it would work for me to be somewhere along your route. I'd make it a point to meet up and at least briefly delay you.
We'll be spending this coming Saturday (27th) night about 20 miles from where the Thang was held...About our closest point.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #704
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish View Post
Springfield is quite a hop from Little Rock, but let me know if you should happen to detour anywhere near Springfield--Safe travels to you both. Can't wait to hear about your next (mis) adventure. You guys are a hoot!!!!
We used to live in Riverton, between Thayer and Doniphan. I bought a nice Winter coat from the Sears in Springfield a few years ago. Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas area is a very nice place, everybody we met there was friendly and pleasant, ( I have relatives living in Jonesboro). Unfortunately, if we detoured everywhere we wanted to go, to see everybody and everything we wanted to see, we'd be traveling a very long time (isn't that the idea with traveling?). More importantly right now, we'd be spending a lot of money on fuel. I saw yesterday crude oil prices jumped to $120 a barrel, and headed to my local Flying J to fill the truck before they raised the prices again. I paid $3.52 a gallon for regular unleaded, probably the cheapest we will see for our entire trip.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #705
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The bearings are packed, the tires are inflated, the brakes are adjusted, the runaway hubcap has been replaced (thanks Richard!), the license plate light and bracket have been replaced, the wheelwell skirt has been removed (still looking for a mate to it, we only have the one). Today I'm heading over to change the transmission fluid and filter.
Do we have any forums members with courtesy parking around Columbus, Georgia and/or Amarillo, Texas? Our courtesy parking list doesn't seem to be working right, and will only list alphabetically, not according to state, and I may have missed someone.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #706
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Marie when you see an Airstream flash your lights at them so they will know who you are if they read the threads. Make a sign that will say "I am an Airstreamer too". Put it on the side window.

Hope you can take in some of the sight and make it a fun trip along the way.
Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #707
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sounds like you're ready to go, Terry. I wish I knew someone in Amarillo to help you out. Keep us posted on your trip, I'm sure you will.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #708
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Do we have any forums members with courtesy parking around Columbus, Georgia and/or Amarillo, Texas?
I cant speak to courtesy parking, but you might want to look into Palo Duro state park outside of Amarillo, its a neat place.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #709
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
There is free parking in Dumas, but it is 50 miles north of Amarillo and kind of out of the way. I can get you more info if you want, but it wouldn't be my choice given the distance out of the way. Palo Duro Canyon is gorgeous. Would be worth a day or two if you have the time.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #710
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Palo Duro Canyon is a great place, Be aware that it is a very steep road into the canyon and a very steep grade pull coming out. Just FYI in case you decide to stay there for a night .

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #711
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolou97 View Post
Marie when you see an Airstream flash your lights at them so they will know who you are if they read the threads. Make a sign that will say "I am an Airstreamer too". Put it on the side window.

Hope you can take in some of the sight and make it a fun trip along the way.
Lou
Lou,

Sent you a pm. Also we always flash lights and wave to other airstreamers. I like some of the looks they give me, especially if not pulling Bertha.

Marie
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #712
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac View Post
Lou,

Sent you a pm. Also we always flash lights and wave to other airstreamers. I like some of the looks they give me, especially if not pulling Bertha.

Marie

I know .
Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #713
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
In Shamrock, TX (east of Amarillo) there's a large concrete parking area for truckers which was built by a rich guy there as a debt of gratitude to truckers (for some unknown reason) and it's a good place to stay. It's easy on/off I40, free and has a couple of food joints nearby. Ask on Channel 19 and you can get directions.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #714
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Next, the transmission has been drained and refilled with a new filter, the fuel filter has been changed, and the oil and oil filter have been replaced. The transmission filter was the original, so it really needed to be changed. The fuel filter was fairly new, but the nuts holding the fuel lines were loose, as in not tight. I unscrewed them with my fingers, if they had started leaking, it could have been an explosive situation, and my burned legs would be the least of my problems. I don't want to be the first Airstreamer on the moon--It's quiet, and scenic, but lacks atmosphere.
The oil was freshly changed, but I don't know what oil they used, and they used a Fram oil filter. I like OEM stuff, so it now has a Delco oil filter, and Mobil 1. I'm loading totes and boxes with tools and junque' (putting the knick-knacks, such as we have, on top ot the boxes of tools). My theory is, if there is no big tool box in the truck, and all a thief can see is a bunch of boxes marked "dishes", they'll keep walking, rather than breaking in and stealing our stuff. A replacement tool box is pretty reasonable right now, with every mechanic I know selling theirs to pay their mortgage...
Our kid (if you can call 30-something a kid) is coming over tomorrow to help wash and vacuum the truck, the van, and Bertha. After that, we'll be pretty much ready to go.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #715
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie said I posted our itinerary, then told me "Quick, post the itinerary"...
Sept 26: Hook up the truck to Bertha, and get ready for...
Sept 27: Leave Wesley Chapel, heading for Opelika, AL. We have reservations at an RV park there (naturally during time for a football game between Auburn and Tennesee)
Sept 28: Depart Opelika, travel through Birmingham to Memphis, stopping at Little Rock.
Sept 29: Depart Little Rock, through Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX.
Sept 30: Depart Amarillo, to Gallup, NM.
Sept 31: Depart Gallup, heading for Flagstaff, AZ.
Sept 32: Depart Flagstaff, heading for the Golden State.
Sept 33: Begin repairs on everything that broke enroute...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #716
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marie said I posted our itinerary, then told me "Quick, post the itinerary"...
Sept 26: Hook up the truck to Bertha, and get ready for...
Sept 27: Leave Wesley Chapel, heading for Opelika, AL. We have reservations at an RV park there (naturally during time for a football game between Auburn and Tennesee)
Sept 28: Depart Opelika, travel through Birmingham to Memphis, stopping at Little Rock.
Sept 29: Depart Little Rock, through Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX.
Sept 30: Depart Amarillo, to Gallup, NM.
Sept 31: Depart Gallup, heading for Flagstaff, AZ.
Sept 32: Depart Flagstaff, heading for the Golden State.
Sept 33: Begin repairs on everything that broke enroute...
Terry,

Great, we will be in San Diego on September 32-34 for an El Camino Real Rally and watching the Blue Angels at Miramar Marine Base (formerly Miramar NAS, home of the Top Gun school) on Saturday. Give me a buzz if you need anything.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #717
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Terry,

Great, we will be in San Diego on September 32-34 for an El Camino Real Rally and watching the Blue Angels at Miramar Marine Base (formerly Miramar NAS, home of the Top Gun school) on Saturday. Give me a buzz if you need anything.

Bill
At this point, just a couple of wheelbarrows full of money for the gas tanks...
Notice how I managed to still arrive before the beginning of October...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #718
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You probably know this already, but parts of the south east are experiencing gas shortages. You might want to give how to deal with this some thought.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #719
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Yea, the Duke's back. Appropriate for heading out west!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #720
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
You probably know this already, but parts of the south east are experiencing gas shortages. You might want to give how to deal with this some thought.
Yes, that's why we're going further North than originally planned. Unfortunately, we are committed to leaving at the time specified, and our only other options are to travel way far North, take more time to travel, or just saying a "Hail Mary", and going for it.

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel