Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
Question The dreaded "best tire" question...

Hello,

I know how debated the topic is but I need some guidance on tire purchase to avoid spending many hundreds of dollars on the wrong tires. I have researched tires for hours and hours but all the recommendations I have seen so far are for non-Airstream RVs or Airstreamers that are not Full-Timers.

To introduce myself again because I am new to these forums: I am just starting my FT journey with myself, four kids (1-13y), and a cat. The house is sold, truck is purchased, and we are stationary in a hotel in Michigan while getting my new-to-me 1973 27’ Overlander safe and ready to tow south for the winter. I am trying to purchase the safest products possible without doing overkill and spending too much money because I am on a fixed income.

My TV is a 2002 F250 7.3L diesel and I have a blue ox swaypro hitch. I do not drive over 65 MPH when not towing so I will definitely not be towing over 65. I will be avoiding snow/freezing temps but seeking national parks/mountains. I plan to put on a lot of miles for the first year or two.
The 10yo tires that came with the trailer are 7.00-15 so I am told I need 225/75 15.

What I do not know is:
I should have bias or radial tires?
ST or LT?
D or E load?
Is there is a better brand for my specific mileage/usage?

Thank you!
Janisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
It looks like I have probably posted this in the wrong area. I was looking for replies specific for full-timing but maybe this wasn't the best approach.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Might get better response in the "tire" section. I bet there are hundreds of threads asking the same question.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Unless you are filling your trailer with lead, you would do fine with LR-C LT tires or XL (eXtra Load) tires in the 235/75R15 size.

I use and recommend Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/75R15 XL.

Welcome to airforums!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Lots of people on here run the Michelin P235/75R15 tires but one thing to keep in mind is Michelin does not recommend using that tire on a trailer. My trailer tires of choice are Carlisle radial trail hd. They have worked well for with 0 issues.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Tires - Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75R15 116/113 S

This Nokian LT (Light Truck) tire was recently mentioned in similar tire threads:

Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75R15 116/113 S

While there may only be a couple of members using them, perhaps they will add their comments on how these fit, perform and wear on their Airstreams.

Note: These tires appear to be available online through Amazon and Walmart, and may be available locally through other tire centers.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I use and recommend Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/75R15 XL.

Welcome to airforums!
Thank you! After finding the correct forum for tires, lol, I called Discount Tire and canceled my GYM order and told them I wanted these. They tried to talk me out of them for the reason noted below, so Carlisle will be my next choice if the Defenders do not work for any reason. They weren't sure the 235 would fit without first seeing the trailer so I'll be taking it in tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Lots of people on here run the Michelin P235/75R15 tires but one thing to keep in mind is Michelin does not recommend using that tire on a trailer. My trailer tires of choice are Carlisle radial trail hd. They have worked well for with 0 issues.
Thank you! This will be my backup option.
Thanks to everyone for responding to my poorly placed post. I think I'm getting a better handle on how the forums are organized now.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
This Nokian LT (Light Truck) tire was recently mentioned in similar tire threads:

While there may only be a couple of members using them, perhaps they will add their comments on how these fit, perform and wear on their Airstreams.

Note: These tires appear to be available online through Amazon and Walmart, and may be available locally through other tire centers.
Interesting! I will keep this in mind. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
While I have no experience with the Nokian Light Truck, Load Range E (80 psi max) tires, I would at least take a look at them; because they have a higher load rating than the Michelin XL (eXtra Load) passenger car tires (50 psi max). Plus, they appear to have a lower price.

Just a suggestion...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Stick with tires for a trailer. The construction is different and load capability is greater than a Michelin LT tire. Going 80 mph with a trailer is asking for a disaster to happen. I know what has been written and to me they are WRONG to use an Lt tire on a trailer. The problems you have read about concerning St tires is because the exceeded the max sustainable speed rated for them. They won't admit to it but I have many trailers pass me and I was going 60mph and left me in the dust. If you don't believe me try this. Keep the tires you have and hit the road doing 60. Check out who passes you. Have a safe journey.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I and many others here have put our trust in the Maxxis brand of 15" ST tires. They cost a little more than GYMs, but have a cleaner history. Unless you are going to a 16" wheel and Michelin LTs, the Maxxis tires seem to be the way to go.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
Stick with tires for a trailer. The construction is different and load capability is greater than a Michelin LT tire. Going 80 mph with a trailer is asking for a disaster to happen. I know what has been written and to me they are WRONG to use an Lt tire on a trailer. The problems you have read about concerning St tires is because the exceeded the max sustainable speed rated for them. They won't admit to it but I have many trailers pass me and I was going 60mph and left me in the dust. If you don't believe me try this. Keep the tires you have and hit the road doing 60. Check out who passes you. Have a safe journey.
Nobody's reccommending 80 mph! And you are wrong on the weight ratings. The LT tires have the same ratings as the ST. Don't confuse LTX mich with their LT tires. LTX are p rated car tires, at least in the 15 inch ones used on AS.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
I and many others here have put our trust in the Maxxis brand of 15" ST tires. They cost a little more than GYMs, but have a cleaner history. Unless you are going to a 16" wheel and Michelin LTs, the Maxxis tires seem to be the way to go.
I think the main reasons GYM's have more problem history is more of them are sold than any other for trailers and also from reading these forums between some of the lines, I am convinced some folks who have had trouble with them have abused them.

I have run GYM's now for over 15 years with no problem at all on our '67 Overlander. I have friends who swear by Maxxis ST's also but they are towing heavier trailers with load range E tires. I run ST tires because they are designed to run on trailers and I frequently have to back the rig into a tight turn which will damage an LT. I ran one set for 13 years with no cracking or uneven wear until the 13th year. If you plan to spend a lot of time in public parks, some of the roads are rough with some really tight turns which are conditions GYM's and other ST's are designed for.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
E rated tires
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Upon buying my 2016 FC 27 FB, I replaced its new Goodyears with Maxxis TL15713000 - Maxxis M8008 ST Tires (10-ply, E-rated). I've put 15K miles on them beginning this summer without any problem. They are approx. $110 apiece plus shipping from independents or $127 apiece with free shipping from Amazon with Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M8008-.../dp/B004QL6I0U
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #16

2007 23' International CCD
Victoria , British Columbia
Tires

I have just replaced the Goodyear tires on my 2007 Airstream with MaxMiler ST215/75R14/6.

Craig - Victoria, BC
ccjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Along with traveling many miles in our third Airstream we owned a camper rental business and the most costly and annoying problem while a camper was out on rental was a flat tire. After much experimenting I found the Goodyear Marathon to far outperform anything else we put on our campers. Our flat tire problem was almost eliminated it was still an annoyance but Goodyear honored the road hazard warranty even on a rental. I will use nothing else on my trailer.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Lots of good suggestions and makes it hard to decide. When I had a tire separate at Myrtle Beach this summer I decided to go with 2 Maxis E rated 225 x 15 but couldn't find them so went with another brand st 10 ply. Too soon to know. Proper speed and air pressure is the big thing. At every stop I walk by and feel tires and hubs. Good habit...
By the way...your truck is a good choice. I have an 02 with 7.3. Great puller and affordable to maintain.
Enjoy and be safe
Dave in WV
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

I have purchased these tires and am currently traveling from California to Tampa on i40. So far so good, speed is 70-75 mph. No problems so far. Available at all discount/America's tire installed balanced mounted and metal stems $550
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Wide array of opinions on a passionate topic. Just an observation from one who is not yet ready for the next set of tires. At the Balloon Fiesta last month, I walked the staging area for parking at Camping World. Of the maybe 80 rigs I looked at before we caravanned to the Balloon Park, there was a fair balance of Michelin, Maxxis, Carlisle, and GYMs noted (along with a couple that I couldn't read!). Not one person I spoke to had a negative comment about what tire they were running. Different rigs, weights, driving habits, and research conclusions. No one right answer IMO.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote