Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We have a Direct TV account at home and when we switched to HD we kept the old dish and mount it on a Winguard portable tripod. The old receiver costs $5.00 per month extra on our home account. I have 100' of cable that allows me to move around most trees etc. It only takes 5 minutes to set up. I set the TV to signal beep and go outside and move dish until the beeb is really chirping. This works 99% of the time.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

How about the actual wire connections? I have a 2005 CCD international, 25ft. Just subscribed to direct TV with two receivers. The install techs had an extra dish they gave me.

Does the AS typically have an in line amplifier that I need to bypass for the sat signal to work? Thanks in advance
goldwing70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing70 View Post
Does the AS typically have an in line amplifier that I need to bypass for the sat signal to work? Thanks in advance
I have a 2005 Bambi, so it may be a bit different. There is an in-line amplifier, but I believe it is only for the roof top antenna. Mine has two separate connections, one for the roof top antenna with the signal amplifier (green LED light). The other is for the satellite/cable connection, and is labeled CABLE/SAT IN, and CABLE/SAT OUT. After I connect my DirecTV dish to the outside box, I connect a short cable from the CABLE/SAT IN jack to the satellite receiver. I leave both the roof top antenna, and the satellite dish connected at all times, and switch back and forth via the input switch on the TV. I don't recall having to bypass the amp.
Hope that makes sense. It's early here.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I managed to get this picture without waking the wife (we're at a state park campground in Delaware). The top faceplate shows the connection for the roof top antenna. The lower one shows the black cable (CABLE/SAT IN)that connects to the television. The gray cable on the bottom is a short jumper that isn't connected to anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CABLE-SAT_crop.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	114226  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Silver! Pics are great. I have similar panels in my unit. I'll try that and see what happens.
goldwing70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
HandyHank

2001 30' Excella
Bastrop , Louisiana
Dear Adage

I just recently (as of last Monday, 11/1/10) became an official full-time. I called DirectTV and they moved my receiver from house to 30' Excella. The installer was supposed to bring a tripod but never got the message. I called the 'movers' of Direct back yesterday and although I'm 500 mi farther west, they are coming here on Wed specifically to bring a tripod to fit the 2" post tripod to my Slimline DirectTV dish. I also have a 'swimmer' LNB which replaces 2 or 4 of the old LNB's. Apparently most dish antenna have a 1-5/8" post except the Slimline. Most tripods are also that size so if you have the new Slimline check to make sure about the post size. I'll let you know how this works out. BTW I have to pay for the new 2" post tripod. There was no mention of this being illegal or somehow stealing.
HandyHank is offline   Reply With Quote