Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It can be done ... and one advantage over the park model situation that some have suggested is that at the end of your time stationery, after having lived successfully in a single location ... you can move somewhere new at will ... and keep moving as you see fit! You will have everything you need with you. Our Bambi is only a 19' but we (2 adults and 2 dogs) lived in it for 4 months while repairs were being made to our home after a flood. We parked it in the front yard, hooked into our home's sewer system hooked up to our city water, and ran our shore line to a 30-amp hookup where we normally store the Bambi at the side of the house. We even ran an extra line for our home's cable to the Bambi and had all the comforts of home...in a very small space. I work from home ... and was able to do that from the Bambi, too!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will vote with the yes crowd. Do your research. I think your biggest problem will be the local ordinances. I lived for 9 months in a pickup camper in the woods with no power hookups so anything can be done.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Park Models

BTW Airstream built park models, from what I know most were vintage fifties. If you can find one restored you can have the best of both worlds.

You could do very well in a 68 Globetrotter, I know.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
A definite YES! Get an Airstream if that is what your heart desires. With your budget you can avoid a lot of repair work. Location is the important factor.

I lived in my 72' Overlander for 2 years while renovating a bungalow I purchased right in the heart of Tampa. I was hooked to the well, a 30 amp outlet, and used a macerator to dump the tanks about 30 feet away in to the septic.

I loved the simplicity of it and was very comfortable. I never longed for bricks and mortar living while in my Trailer. My expenses were minimal. No water bill. No sewer bill. Electric was less than $30/month even during the summer months with AC cranking. Cable/internet was my big expense. I lead an active life, so it wasn't as if I was cooped up in the trailer. When I was, it was cozy and had all the comforts of home. Wait... it was my home!

My long range plans (in 3-5 years) are to number one... finish my new 77 Sovereign, and number two, to travel. I have a piece of land here in Tampa that will be paid off in about a year. It is zoned for mobile home use (there is still a mobile home on the site). It has electric, a well and septic. It will be my home base for the beautiful Tampa winters, and I hope to hit the road when our miserable summers and hurricanes arrive. When I am here I will have next to no expenses... which will be perfect, since I have already outlived my money!

Go for it! Just find someone local to you to assist in inspecting any trailers you are considering, and work on a safe, legal location to park it.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Sent you a PM
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Hi Splitrock, a park model is not an Airstream brand, no? I looked those up online and they are terribly cute! Alas, I would like to travel around the United States with a trailer when my three years commitment are up. I think for that a park model would let me down!

Hi Aage, I will be traveling in it eventually, I swear!

Hi Foiled Again, do Airstreams have issues on a rather consistent basis? Do they experience problems pretty regularly? I was looking at older, used (but in excellent/great condition) trailers but am now a bit hesitant. I don't want to buy one and then have to fix a hundred things! I'm sure there are many zoning restrictions in LA proper, that IS an issue for me, I have to find a place to park the trailer before I purchase a trailer! Eventually when I "settle down" I'm planning on having a very small, eco-friendly home. Perhaps Tumbleweeds are in the not-to-distant future!

Hi Smokeless Joe, Thanks! I do have my heart set on an Airstream, if just because they're so attractive! When I see one being towed down the highway my heart skips a beat!

Hi SStar, Can you travel with a park model? I do think they're cute and would suit my non-traveling three years very well, but after that I want to zoom off to see the US. I have never seen one of those being towed down the highway, I can't imagine it being easily transportable.

Hi burnsdl, Thank you for the PM offer! I'm sure in the near future I'll be using that, I have many questions/concerns. For starters, do you find a 27' trailer comfortable and practical for two? Is it difficult to pull around? I heard the small trailers (Bambis, no?) are easy to navigate, but of course living in that for three years might be a little too cramped! I'm trying to find a happy medium between comfy accommodations and easy towing when I do begin to travel. I have researched a few RV parks and have found that most - when paying month-to-month - don't include electricity; you're lucky! Do you know if electricity is a significant cost for a stationary Airstream, to be used as a full-time home?

Hi noreen&sal, Thank you for the encouragement, that really helps! I enjoy hearing positive experiences, it boosts my confidence being fairly new to Airstreams and all!

Hi TGTwinkie, I will check out those trailers. I wonder if prices are higher for Airstreams simply because of the 'brand'? I suppose I'll try to be less superficial and check out different kinds of trailers, but I thought that Airstreams are so well known that if I had any issues I would always be able to find some assistance. I mean, are there Arctic Fox trailer forums?
LindsayStove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Hi Kyle, Wow! A family of three in an Airstream. That's great! What is important to me is fairly basic: being comfortable; having "regular home" accommodations (to a scaled down extent, of course); easy towing; reliability; and availability of help/parts/etc. for when things go NOT the way I hoped! I don't need up-to-date interiors or anything fancy. A larger scale oven, refrigerator, and bed (not twin size) would be nice. A trailer that won't require structural renovations or other major issues right away (up and go!). Do you know off the top of your head a trailer that might fit the above? I still do not yet know enough about Airstreams to know which models come with a full size bed and which models come with twins. I've a lot to learn! Thank you for the links, I have them bookmarked and have browsed through them a bit! And I will definitely go "try some out". Stories like yours are so encouraging!

Hi DaveFL, I will definitely check out zoning laws and RV parks before I purchase one! I thought it would be easier to find a permanent spot to hook up but it's turning out to be a little more involved than that. Not discouraging, just time consuming. Do you know of a site where you can search for RV parks and/or private land zoned for such use?

Hi arcamedies, Do you think that's the best way? To find a comfortable trailer and get the next size up? I was going for the larger size right away, but then I read that it might be difficult to travel with when I do want to take off, so now I'm hesitant. Somehow you knew I didn't have a vehicle that could tow it... But I do have many, many family members and friends with vehicles that could (and do!) tow large trailers who would be able to help me get it to my perma spot. In those three years I'll be 'stuck', I'm sure a towing capable vehicle will find it's way to me!

Hi again Aage, I am checking that out before I start seriously searching for a trailer. Well, I do a bit of both, but... Anyway, yes, in LA it seems to be proving a bit more difficult than expected, but still doable. Just thirty minutes away is horse country, so I might be able to pull something off on private land there, who knows?

Hi Bill M., Yes, I'm finding that out! I looked up RV parks in LA just with Google and only found two. Certainly there are more, perhaps not in LA proper but nearby, but I'm sure it will take a bit of research. And yes, heat is ALWAYS an issue in LA, where it's usually in the 80's around Christmas... Are Airstreams like little ovens? I think I might have more questions for the Airstream salespeople than I currently am aware of... Will start a list!

Hi Del Gurney, Gulp. I don't even know what a septic field is. Certainly my apartment only living thus far and age (25) add to my lack of knowledge there... I don't even know what runs on what in an Airstream. Are all the stove tops available electric? Are there Airstreams with "full" stoves? I asked another user this, what size do you think is comfortable for living, but also easy to tow?

Hi Mike 91208, I grew up in the LA area and never experienced 30 degree weather! Nor 40's... 50's were rare, and usually just in the middle of the night. That being said, bring it on 30 degree weather, I have sweaters! It's the heat I'm concerned with... Thanks for the rates! I've looked at three parks in the LA area, and most are $800/month. Not bad (for LA)!

Hi perryg114, Do you truly, truly suggest I get a newer model? I definitely don't want problems right out the gate but I thought older models in great condition would be good to eventually renovate (superficially - bed, couch, cabinets, etc.), but I certainly don't want to start having to replace things. Do you think it's too risky? The newer models don't have interiors I find all that attractive, so I thought perhaps the higher price for a new one isn't justified. Perhaps it is? Which things need to be replaced/repaired the most frequently? Oy!

Hi Jammer, It seems the cost I found for RV parks in LA are about the same, $800/month. If I were to stay (legally, of course) on private property, would I not have access to electric, water, and sewer hook ups? Do all those have to be installed? Clearly I'm a beginner!

Hi again SmokelessJoe, Thank you so much for the links! Might you know anybody as talented as yourself in the Los Angeles area who might assist me in weighing the options of remodeling and updating an older trailer vs. purchasing a newer or new model? Might you have any ideas yourself?

Hi TBRich, That's good to hear! Perhaps I don't need to fret over whether I should buy a 31' model or an older 34' foot model! Perhaps I could get a 27' or so and be gold. Outside of bathroom and kitchen items, I do not own any personal items besides some books, so I really don't need too much room. I'll have to go physically poke around in a few different trailers.

Hi wahoonc, No hook ups, huh? How did you do that?! I'll need my running water, that I can't give up!

Hi Jim Clark, What size are they? All different like the rest of Airstreams, I presume? What size?

Hi Sneakinup, To avoid repairs right off the bat, what is the oldest year you suggest I look at? What about models? Sizes? Is there anything in particular you'd avoid? I do need something completely functional and in excellent condition right off the bat, as I lack the skills to renovate on my own, and will full-time school I won't have the time/energy. New vs. used? I can't wait 'till I get to the point where I can renovate trailers! I'm jealous! I am still an Airstream zygote!

Hi LilNomad, Sorry, let me check that and write you back! I'm new to these forums/website and don't know how to navigate them too well.
LindsayStove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Airstreams have leak issues and some of them are hard to find before purchase. A big area is the rear floor area which on rear bath models is hidden by the bathroom. The bathroom and holding tanks put extra stress on that area causing rear end separation (ie the back rots off and sags). Center bath models have the same rear end rot problems but you can get to the floor and fix it without gutting the trailer. The rot is caused by the plate in front of the rear bumper that goes up under the floor in the back. This joint is covered by a bumper strip so it is real hard to inspect.

In the early 80's they started using OSB flooring which does not hold up as well as plywood but the frames were stronger in this era. It comes down to inspecting and finding floor damage resulting from leaks. If you can't access the rear floor assume it is rotten. Airstream leaks usually occur between the inner and outer skins and the water travels to the floor without even being seen. Other areas to look for problems are in the 4 corners and around the entrance door. If the trailer has spent its life in CA you have a better chance of finding a good trailer since the climate there is dry. Make sure the trailer came from there and is not an east coast import. Usually, there are dealer stickers and title history to tell you were it lived most of its life.

Replacing the floor is a major job and sometimes involves removing the shell from the frame and also frame repair.

You want to make sure the appliances work like the AC and fridge and stove. The furnace is probably not a big issue but something you will take a hit on when you sell it if it does not work. The lights should all work and the 12V charging system should work. Plumbing is a big issue because many trailers are left with water in the system and the pipes freeze and bust. Many owners patch the plumbing with duct tape, bailing wire, and bubble gum. Also the water heater should work. Make sure the propane systems is up to date with tanks that are in date. It is best not to take the word of a seller on anything unless you verify it yourself.

Airstreams are built better than what we call SOB trailers (some other brand or square ole box) but they do have their issues and ALL RV's LEAK most of the time.

Good luck on your search.

Perry

"Hi perryg114, Do you truly, truly suggest I get a newer model? I definitely don't want problems right out the gate but I thought older models in great condition would be good to eventually renovate (superficially - bed, couch, cabinets, etc.), but I certainly don't want to start having to replace things. Do you think it's too risky? The newer models don't have interiors I find all that attractive, so I thought perhaps the higher price for a new one isn't justified. Perhaps it is? Which things need to be replaced/repaired the most frequently? Oy!"
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Can you travel with a park model?

Hi again Lindsay, Looks like you are getting plenty of advice and opinions. There is some really good info being generated by the posts. As I said, we use our Idle Time park model on the job. We usually move it every couple of weeks along with it's septic and water system. One of the primary reasons for the park model is the good office space that it provides. We bought the Airstream for traveling and camping, but I will also be using it on some of the shorter jobs, more like boondocking, self contained with just a small generator. We do like the AS, we like the retro look and feel, and the way it travels over the road. I can't imagine the AS has many more maintenance or upkeep issues that other brands. There are some good gently used Airstreams available in the 20 to 30K range, just be careful, and get an inspection from someone knowledgeable. (possibly someone like perryg114), sounds like he has been around the block. Plan to pay what the trailer is worth. From what I saw when shopping, if it's too cheap something is not right or the scalpers got there the day before. Again, good luck
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
For $20K to $30K you can buy a new Arctic Fox or Nash and put money in the bank. And that's with a warrantee.
While you won't have the retro look of an A$. You will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
I'm not bashing A$, I'm just looking at it from the practical side.
Especially if you buy used, there will be issues.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Practical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
For $20K to $30K you can buy a new Arctic Fox or Nash and put money in the bank. And that's with a warrantee.
While you won't have the retro look of an A$. You will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
I'm not bashing A$, I'm just looking at it from the practical side.
Especially if you buy used, there will be issues.
No argument from me, practicality is why we have the Idle Time park model for work. Buying the Airstream is the lest practical thing I have done since I sold the boat.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Practicality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
No argument from me, practicality is why we have the Idle Time park model for work. Buying the Airstream is the lest practical thing I have done since I sold the boat.
Being practical is wise but everybody who throws caution to the wind usually has experiences that people would pay a million bucks for. With that said try looking at this website to try what you want to do without to much risk. Rent an Airstream They appear to be in South California and you may do a trial run in a great RV park and love it or decide nope not for me.

Happy Trails
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayStove View Post
Hi Jammer, It seems the cost I found for RV parks in LA are about the same, $800/month. If I were to stay (legally, of course) on private property, would I not have access to electric, water, and sewer hook ups? Do all those have to be installed? Clearly I'm a beginner!
Lindsay,

Most private property lacks connections that are suitable for long-term use.

For electric, in order to be able to use the air conditioning and, if present, an electric water heater, you need a dedicated RV-type outlet that is within 25 feet or so of the trailer. Better campsites have this located on the street side (side away from the trailer door) of the parking area so the electric cord does not get in the way.

For water, while you can run a hose in temperate weather, it is preferable for long-term parking to have water within 20' of the trailer or so.

Most private property doesn't have a readily useable sewer connection. Sometimes there's a cleanout or access cover for a septic tank that you can make work but usually they're not anywhere you would want to park.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #34

2012 25' International
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Don't listen to the cant's on this one. Everything is possible - I am a professional who sold my 5br house to live in a brand new 2012 airstream (25' International Serenity Edition). Not one person I discussed it with thought it was a god idea and now they envy the simple, clean and active lifestyle I am enjoying. I've encountered problems for sure but none that comprise my safety and none that can't be resolved with intelligence and the need to succeed.

I set up three locations that I can use at anytime...a friend with land (who put in the electrical service in), a campground that enjoys my cool Airstream and sells me a spot to hook up (worked out a volume rate), and finally two public areas that I feel safe to park for a day or two if locatin #1 or location #2 don't work out.

I'm a newbie with no skills at all...I read the forum, read the manuals try to fix what I need to, adjust things as needed and keep moving. When I travel I take my house with me. It's pretty cool. I have not yet encountered a single problem that does not have both a commercial and a DIY solution...just trust this forum and get a reputable RV dealer as you best buddy.

Good luck.
The_Restart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Hey Lindsay,
>>Hi Mike 91208, I grew up in the LA area and never experienced 30 degree weather! Nor 40's... 50's were rare, and usually just in the middle of the night. That being said, bring it on 30 degree weather, I have sweaters!

Just checked and the AVERAGE low temp in Dec/Jan/Feb is 41/42/44 respectively for Glendale (a few miles away from downtown LA). That ain't rare, it's average. Daily records of 25 - 27 degrees in those months. That's from Weather Underground. Best of luck with that sweater!!
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
2001 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Beaufort , North Carolina
Hi Lindsay,
I just sold my home and bought a 34' Airstream to live in untill I retire, 32 months or less. I bought the AS for less than 30K and put it in a campground that has full hook up/ full time sites. I did not want to rent and I do want to travel later. The time I have in the full time spot will allow me to get aquanted to the AS and learn what I need to know. So far so good, I really love it. Some things have broken and some things just need replaceing, however it was expected. I had a 34K sq.ft. home and I believe my cost here will be reduced considerably. You can do this! Set a goal with what you are willing to spend, give yourself some leeway and go for it. I live in NC so my cost will be less than CA. So far monthly cost have been less than $500. January and Febuary will be more due to colder temps but my guess is by only $200. Still a cheaper way to live. Good luck!
dheflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Living in an Airstream is a great way to go. And, in my experience can be very economical, practical, fun, and above all flexible.

I did live in a 30' Argosy/Airstream for a year and change in the 1990s. It was great to be right on the ocean and paying about 1/2 of what a 1 bedroom apt cost in the city. It teaches you to be compact, frugal, inventive, and you get away from "having lots of stuff." Quite apart from that, I felt free as a bird. Not that I did move it around, but to know that I COULD move it with relative ease should I need or want to.

Park Models are more or less planted in a location. If you buy one, and then don't like the locale, the neighbors, the weather, you have to sell it! Meh!

I must admit, I didn't read every post here. I am on the road in our Airstream now and have some stuff to do this evening. But I just wanted to put in a good word for living in an Airstream, and how it might be better than a park model.

I had ZERO problems with the room in a 30 footer. I had enough clothes, enough food, and enough to entertain me. I had ZERO junk. Everything I had was useful - if not - out it went! One of the best times of my life.

In a couple years, we are going to rent the house out and go full time. I can't wait. And that's in a 25!

Good luck. Follow your dreams!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #38
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Check out some camp grounds and trailer parks. See if you can find one that suits you. It will probably be one of the more expensive ones, there are some dodgy ones out there and they tend to be the cheapest.

If you find a location you like see if there are any trailers for sale. There usually are. These can be a good buy, as they are already set up on the site. Sometimes they seem expensive. This is a sign the park is desirable, the sites are oversubscribed, and the only way to get in is to pay a premium for the trailer.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lindsay

Welcome to the forums. Your life will be forever changed.

Follow your dream. It can be done. You are single- this is good. Trailers accomodate a single person better than a couple because they are a small space. You have already decided that you can and want to live in a small space, so this is also good.

The hardest part will be where to park it. Find a campground for starters, but this will be the most expensive way to go. While you are living in it in a campground, try to come up with an alternative cheaper location. This may be a challenge. Zoning issues will be a problem. Maybe if you get out into a rural area you can just park it on some farm land that you rent. Providing electrical power and water should not be a major problem for whoever you are renting the land from. The sewer will be the biggest problem. One option is to pump the sewage using an emaceator(sp) pump to a septic tank or just the clean out fitting for the septic tank. Solving the sewage problem can be simplified somewhat if you change the toilet to a composting toilet. There are a few folks on the forum that use them and they seem to work fine.

You may need to think outside the box a bit to find a good home for you and your Airstream. You won't find any adds looking to rent you space for your trailer. However there maybe some retired folks that own some land with a limited income that would love to have you park your Airstream on it in exchange for about $300 per month extra income for them. Your water usage will be minimal. You can pay them extra for the electricity that you use. You may have to pay for the electrical hookup for your Airstream and the emaceator pump to pump the sewage to the septic tank, but these are only one time costs and minimal.

Once you find a place to park it, then go find an Airstream. Age really does not matter all that much. What really matters is the condition. Buy one that you like and think that will work for you. Buy one that has been very well cared for, does not leak, and where all the appliances work. Have a knowledgable Airstream person inspect it for you. Oh and look at lots of them. It will help you get an idea of the value and help you figure out what you really want and like.

Don't be afraid to contact the positive posters on this thread. Their experience will help you a lot.

You are about to embark on a new voyage with lots of knowledge to be gained. Enjoy it and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Orange County, CA. , California
Lindsay,
When you say "The L.A. area" you do realize this place is huge!? There is a long term RV park in Northridge and I think the rent is approx. $750.00 per month, pretty cheap for the LA basin!!