Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Reading this thread makes me wonder. People living in the north are called snow birds who go south for the winter.
What are people called that live in the south and come up here to the north to escape the summer?
Intelligent
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Haven't made it to Vegas (yet) but remember staying at a pay lake in southern Ohio in mid July when the high temperatures were in the mid 90's. The campsites were just a vast gravel parking area with hookups and no shade.

At that time the original 14,000 BTU Armstrong air conditioner was still running at top form but was only able to cool the trailer down to the high 70's during the worst heat of the day. We quickly realized that opening the door even briefly let it lots of hot air that took forever to be cooled down. I think the compressor on the air conditioner shut off only once when we were there, and that was when I turned it off before pulling the shore power and leaving.

I had always assumed Vegas in the summer would be a similar experience and had thought to bring some cutouts of Reflectix for vista windows and maybe a few other windows.

Epilogue: The fishing at the pay lake was pretty good.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The "Average" summer (July) temperature in Vegas is 106 with it also getting much hotter.

Granted that's a dry heat, little to no humidity but that's still quite hot.

Ocassionally in August you get nice breezes which helps a little bit.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
My 79 had the "alaska" package w extra insulation and double pane windows and took the heat way better. I've seen small downdraft evaporative coolers set on an open a/s roof vent and is what I would do if I wanted to stay in Vegas in the summer.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
We have a 30' international serenity wih 2 AC units which works fine up to 105 all day long but Vegas frequently gets to 115 or higher in the summer (why would anyone want to be there then!) so can't say it would work,then!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdrifter View Post
We have a 30' international serenity wih 2 AC units which works fine up to 105 all day long but Vegas frequently gets to 115 or higher in the summer (why would anyone want to be there then!) so can't say it would work,then!
Thats the model ive been looking at. Does extended exposure to high heat cause external damage?
NWbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
OK, this is really a personal choice. The responses to your question are just like many of the others....each responder has their own view. Remember, what is an absolute mandatory for them may be only an option for you. ("One man's ceiling is another man's floor" - Paul Simon)

On another post about using 2 AC units vs. only one, I answered that I spent the entire year of '96 in Bullhead City, AZ...the year the record temp was set at 126 deg. I only had one AC unit and never had an uncomfortable day or evening. The AC will run non stop for the entire summer so be prepared for higher electric bills. Shade is important and you will be using your awnings as much as possible. Do not leave them down if you leave the coach for the day however. Desert winds can be gusty and they will tear up your awnings and perhaps damage the coach as well.

The comment about never getting below 100 degrees at night for a period of time in the summer is pure myth. Don't know where that started but the official weather stats show that even in July and August the average low temps in Las Vegas were in the mid 70's.

Consider whether you want to purchase a newer or a vintage trailer. Many of the older coaches only came with one AC unit. Very impractical and costly to try to add a 2nd AC unit. If you do, you won't be able to run both at the same time without tripping the breakers or worse. On a newer unit with 50 amp service to handle the load of twin ACs, the umbilical cord is like trying to wrestle a cobra...worse when it's cold. Check some of the new units at a dealership and talk to folks who have the 50 amp service. (see some of the posts on this forum also) Also consider that 2 AC units will greatly increase electric use and therefore increase your bill.

Most importantly, consider that while it may not be for everyone, it is doable if you are willing. Getting started at this time of the year will help you ease into the heat of the summer. You'll have time to start customizing your coach before it becomes too late.

Good Luck.
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If you're going to full-time in Las Vegas, and given the nature of the heat and low humidity, would you consider a swamp cooler, rather than an A/C? A plus - it can work off of 12v power supplies, so if you loose power, or "go camping," you keep the cooling capabilities working.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Radio guy good advice from someone that has actually experienced it.

In Phx where I live it regularly stays over 100 at night but manageable due to no sun. Heck 100 in the day is manageable also. It's when it get go 105 that things get more trying.

I should have checked the evening temps in Vegas closer before posting. Elevation can help with temps also.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Reading this thread makes me wonder. People living in the north are called snow birds who go south for the winter.
What are people called that live in the south and come up here to the north to escape the summer?
They're called reverse snowbirds. I'm one of them, at least to an extent. I was born and raised in Canada but have lived in Texas and Missouri most of the last 30 years. My husband and I return to Canada every summer to escape the Houston heat, but we are working people and can only do it for a few weeks each year. As we get older, we'll be able to do it for longer periods.

We do this because Houston in high summer is simply one of the worst places to be in America. We don't get above 100 degrees that often, but the humidity is always outrageous. It's difficult to even breathe.

Personally I would not consider Las Vegas or Houston or anywhere like it in summer, for full-timing. By the time the rig is wrapped up in and under protective coverings, Reflectix and other layers on the windows, etc. and with loud a/c running constantly, it would be like living in a tomb or a little rat hole. It's one thing to do that for a day or two. It's another thing to do it constantly. It just becomes very draining on the psyche. IMO, at least.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I sure wouldn't do it, I would hook up and move where it is cooler
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Airstream concept

[QUOTE=NWbarber;1879093]My wife and I are dead set on an airstream. We are also dead set on Las Vegas/QUOTE]

Airstream's concept is to provide an easily towed traveling vehicle that premits the owners to realize their travel dreams. Airstreams permit one to stay in good weather locations and move on when it changes.

We stayed @ CircusCircus RV park in LV in July 2005. Daytime temps ran 119.
No shade at all in the CC RV park.
Our Coach House Type B did great all the time. The single Dometic ran on medium fan & we backed off the. Temp setting, too. No problem at all. CH is very well insulated.

There are RVs that will do what you want easily. If you insist on using an AS, you may be able to do it somehow. Good luck.

Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Reminds me of people who move to hot climates "for the weather," then leave "because of the weather."

Such was the case with my cousin who moved to Vegas...and came back to cool, verdant B.C. a couple of years later. They were not RVers. They had a luxurious air-conditioned house, but they were imprisoned by it during the hottest months. Their Vegas dream turned into a claustrophobic nightmare.

Life is hard enough without battling the elements (especially when you don't have to).
Old 11-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
In Grad School, in Tucson Az., back in the early 90s, I lived in a 16' Trottwood trailer in a friend's back "yard." (if you can call a dirt patch, with various cacti a yard) -- 15v power, water, a propane stove and ceilig light, and a cassette toilet. Cheap, and hot as hell; until I jury rigged a swamp cooler through one of the slat windows; which helped immensely. Part of it is just getting used to it -- and ensuring you're in lab or office on campus during mid-day :-P.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #35
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OH, it's OK, it's DRY HEAT. If you believe that I have a bridge for sale in NY. People do it, we've done it for short periods but it's a challenge. Summer RV'ing out west we find that altitude is our best friend. Would love to visit Las Vegas one day but for us it will likely be a late winter visit.
Two AC units would certainly be better than one working full time.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote