Old 12-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
[QUOTE=abruce]I,ve read a lot on this forum over the last couple of weeks and I'm learning a lot, but I have a question. Discounting the 2004's, is there a year and model of AS that is considered better for fulltiming than the others? I understand, for instance, that some of the 1980's trailers have more storage room than most others. Thanks for your opinions (in advance).

Uwe is dead on. My 29' is great for caravaning. I have stayed in it for 2.5 months at a time. Airstream puts the dinette in the 30 or 31 footers depending on age. For two people, I think the dinette is a necessity. My WBCCI friends take their 35 footer everywhere that I go. 95 or later wide body is nice but, watch out for ceiling insulation which comes loose and is expensive to repair.

I think Airstream's quality was at it's best in the late 1980's.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Storage 80's Vs 00's

We moved from an '84 31' to a 2002 31'.

Initial reaction on purchase was that there was less storage. After taking possession and actually loading it for travel we find empty drawers... ie: storage seems to be at least just as ample.

We spend 5 months in the winter "full-timing" and do quite well.

Just one person's thoughts......

baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #17
Confused & Wandering
1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I have done extensive travelling in trailers over the last 30 odd years, the smallest being a 13 foot Thompson T line, through 18ft 23 ft 26 ft and now my ideal.. 34 foot, which is actually 36'4" from hitch to tail..I have had no problems with it towing around the country, excepting a minor problem, when a whale back shaped access bent my hitch rods.. I now know not to go over big humps.. Backing the Excella 1000 into places was a little challenging at first, but now is simplicity in itself - I actually enjoy doing it. Getting into parking lots is no problem, but sometimes getting round a right hand turn is a little difficult, because of traffic in the other lanes. In that situation, I just sit there, blocking traffic, until I can get round. If there is a narrow entrance, with light poles, or other nasty things, I avoid it, and come to it from a different direction.. So, in my opinion, two of us live happily in an Excella 1000 Classic.. 34 feet of comfort, and beauty.

'05 Cargo hauler gooseneck, carrying an '05 Jeep TJ, all hauled by an '05 C4500 Kodiak Truck
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington

Theo, GREAT to hear it . Our plan is to sell the land tie and be full timers in our 34'. We had promised the kids we'd practice for awhile before we do something "rash".
With the experiences we've gained since picking up the Airstream and learning LOTS from this forum, next spring looks like our "go date".
2003 34' Airstream Classic
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
Confused & Wandering
1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Most folk tow without any fancy hitch arrangement.. I was fortunate, the size of the trailer scared me, so I bought a Hensley hitch.. A lot of money, about 1 tenth the value of the trailer..... On three occasions, caused by the actions of others, and totally outwith my control, I had to take extreme action, to get me, the truck, and the trailer out of the way of someone doing something foolish. Without the Hensley hitch, I have no doubt at all that something would have been damaged on my rig. With it, not even a trembling hand on the wheel afterwards. It is a cost that I feel is VERY much paid for, the first time you need it.

That really is the only advice I would give someone expecting to go on the road with a big long trailer... Other than, wherever possible, avoid the pull through sites.. they are too easy, and when you get to the place you just HAVE to back out of, you would not be as comfortable as you would be, if you just pulled out of your hundredth back in site.. I avoided back ins for a month, until I got stuck somewhere, because of parked cars.. I had to learn how to back, VERY rapidly. Now I happily back the thing anywhere.

'05 Cargo hauler gooseneck, carrying an '05 Jeep TJ, all hauled by an '05 C4500 Kodiak Truck
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
I agree about 34'
32' is minimum I would want. 34' is better IMO

this does restrict your turning radius, and so on. but that's not a full-timing issue.. No matter how much space you have, you will eventually use all of it.
Justice - When you get what you deserve. Mercy - When you don't get what you deserve
Grace - When you get what you don't deserve
ipso_facto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1993 25' Excella
Craftsbury Common , Vermont
my girlfriend and I are happily living off-grid in a leaky 25' Excella in northern Vermont. Anything is possible if you have the right attitude and a supportive community.
cmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
My wife and I lived seven months last year in our 34' Silver Streak, larger than a 34' A/S. While I would have preferred a 28' or so trailer, there is no way that the space to keep more clothing, groceries and living supplies will go to waste with a big trailer if you go that route.

If you haven't decided on a tow vehicle then my experience may be helpful. An 8' bed on a pickup truck -- with a Leer topper with no windows and plastic bedliner -- made for a lot of storage space. I kept some stuff in the truck permanently, and transferred other things in and out as need be.

The great thing about the bigger trailer is the physical distance from living area to bedroom those times you need some space. Days of bad weather, being ill, you-name-it, that is when the bigger trailer is easiest to live with.

IMO, anything from 28' - 34' fits the bill when used with a P/U truck with covered bed.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Full timing

I lived in my AS for 8 1/2 months full time while travel nursing. I have a 1974 Sovereign 31'....To me, having an older AS seems to be better in so many ways, but of course there are pro's and con's....Nevertheless--consider whether you have an older model or a new AS, work is always going to have to be done as you will want to make it your home....I considered getting a newer AS, but when I went to different dealerships, I noticed that the newer models were somewhat 'boxy', and that the vinyl that they are using has crimps and folds where the AS is aerodynamic---unlike the zolatone in the older models that conforms to the AS shape...
I began to approach my decision to upgrade on several factors-
1) a 31' AS has plenty of storage
2) by having an older model AS, I can make it into my own to make it work for my living arrangements
3) My AS is PAID for!!! Therefore, I can spend more on WHAT I WANT TO DO TO IT, and still have money to go and do what I want to wherever I am because I don't have to worry about an AS payment as well as paying for a space to stay!
4) Remember that all AS are built to last, so the decision is up to you as far as what you want to do. Just make sure that you are going to be happy with your decision.
5) Nothin' greater than traveling in an AS....We've 'got your back' and will help you with anything you choose to do....If there is anything that I have learned about this forum is that we are all AS fanatics, but there is always someone to help you out!

Good Luck!!!

imeynstein is offline   Reply With Quote