Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Craftsbury Common , Vermont
my girlfriend and I are happily living off-grid in a leaky 25' Excella in northern Vermont. Anything is possible if you have the right attitude and a supportive community.
cmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My wife and I lived seven months last year in our 34' Silver Streak, larger than a 34' A/S. While I would have preferred a 28' or so trailer, there is no way that the space to keep more clothing, groceries and living supplies will go to waste with a big trailer if you go that route.

If you haven't decided on a tow vehicle then my experience may be helpful. An 8' bed on a pickup truck -- with a Leer topper with no windows and plastic bedliner -- made for a lot of storage space. I kept some stuff in the truck permanently, and transferred other things in and out as need be.

The great thing about the bigger trailer is the physical distance from living area to bedroom those times you need some space. Days of bad weather, being ill, you-name-it, that is when the bigger trailer is easiest to live with.

IMO, anything from 28' - 34' fits the bill when used with a P/U truck with covered bed.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Full timing

I lived in my AS for 8 1/2 months full time while travel nursing. I have a 1974 Sovereign 31'....To me, having an older AS seems to be better in so many ways, but of course there are pro's and con's....Nevertheless--consider whether you have an older model or a new AS, work is always going to have to be done as you will want to make it your home....I considered getting a newer AS, but when I went to different dealerships, I noticed that the newer models were somewhat 'boxy', and that the vinyl that they are using has crimps and folds where the AS is aerodynamic---unlike the zolatone in the older models that conforms to the AS shape...
I began to approach my decision to upgrade on several factors-
1) a 31' AS has plenty of storage
2) by having an older model AS, I can make it into my own to make it work for my living arrangements
3) My AS is PAID for!!! Therefore, I can spend more on WHAT I WANT TO DO TO IT, and still have money to go and do what I want to wherever I am because I don't have to worry about an AS payment as well as paying for a space to stay!
4) Remember that all AS are built to last, so the decision is up to you as far as what you want to do. Just make sure that you are going to be happy with your decision.
5) Nothin' greater than traveling in an AS....We've 'got your back' and will help you with anything you choose to do....If there is anything that I have learned about this forum is that we are all AS fanatics, but there is always someone to help you out!

Good Luck!!!