Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Removing 3M Diamond Shield

Our new to us motorhome has a very bad case of Diamond Shield failure. I read as much as I could find about removing and finally bought a small bottle of Vinyl Off from a local sign company supplier. I wanted to give it a try before buying a gallon or more. Although it worked, I was not impressed so I went after the shield with a pressure washer. You can see the results below after 3 hours of work. It does not let go easily and I may still have to use Goo Gone or something similar to remove all traces of the adhesive. The paint still looks great so once waxed I'm hoping it will shine again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	215847  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Our new to us motorhome has a very bad case of Diamond Shield failure. I read as much as I could find about removing and finally bought a small bottle of Vinyl Off from a local sign company supplier. I wanted to give it a try before buying a gallon or more. Although it worked, I was not impressed so I went after the shield with a pressure washer. You can see the results below after 3 hours of work. It does not let go easily and I may still have to use Goo Gone or something similar to remove all traces of the adhesive. The paint still looks great so once waxed I'm hoping it will shine again.

It will look great after your done. I removed the 3M film from the front of my coach as well. I used a steamer such as this one Sears.com to loosen the fiim and then scraped it off with plastic paint scrapers. Had to work in small sections but it does work. I then removed the adhesive remaining with 3m solvent. Took a lot of it but it all came off and as you said the paint looks great. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312/3m-plastic-coating-rock-chip-guard-107099.html
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Hey guys, appreciate the response and link. I have an old wallpaper steamer that may be just the thing to remove the adhesive. Hot job but if it works, beats chemicals. I will post again once I give it a try.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Tried the steam alone, no joy, the adhesive won't turn loose. Bought the 3M adhesive remover and it works but I noticed it will also remove the paint so I will have to be very careful. I also tried the Vinyl Off again and apparently let it stay on too long, it damaged the paint in a couple of places. Not sure where this will end up but I'm afraid a nose paint job could be necessary. The easiest thing to do is buy a vinyl bra but we don't like anything we have seen so far. And so it goes..............................
Old 08-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Tried the steam alone, no joy, the adhesive won't turn loose. Bought the 3M adhesive remover and it works but I noticed it will also remove the paint so I will have to be very careful. I also tried the Vinyl Off again and apparently let it stay on too long, it damaged the paint in a couple of places. Not sure where this will end up but I'm afraid a nose paint job could be necessary. The easiest thing to do is buy a vinyl bra but we don't like anything we have seen so far. And so it goes..............................
That is strange absolutely no paint damage on mine using the steam, scraper, 3-M adhesive removal process. The paint looked like new. I would steam a small spot then scrape the film off. Then soak with 3-M adhesive remover and scrape. I would repeat this until the adhesive was gone and then move to the next spot. I found that letting the 3-M adhesive remove sit for a while did not help but it also did not remove any paint. Here is the thread I started on the iRV2 forum covering the project with pictures. Good luck

Another 3-M Paint Removal Project - iRV2 Forums
Old 09-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Finally decided to give this another go (after dark last night, I must have been real bored!). I think I discovered the issue with the adhesive remover. It is not the product itself but how I'm trying to use it. After changing how how use the plastic putty knife, I achieved some level of success. Sooo, this morning I ordered a couple more cans of 3M adhesive remover and plastic razor blades. I'm determined to win. Quotes to paint the nose have been in the $1,500 category so I have a new found reason to fight this battle.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I hate to admit it, but this problem beat me so yesterday I took the motorhome to the body shop for paint. Quite a bit more expensive than early estimates over the phone but I saw some of their motorhome work and was impressed. They are also repairing some dings done by the previous owner. Should have it back in a couple of weeks. Will post a pic or two then.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
I hate to admit it, but this problem beat me so yesterday I took the motorhome to the body shop for paint. Quite a bit more expensive than early estimates over the phone but I saw some of their motorhome work and was impressed. They are also repairing some dings done by the previous owner. Should have it back in a couple of weeks. Will post a pic or two then.
Well, I certainly hope it is back in a couple of weeks, and shows up at Canopener. We've been looking forward to seeing this jewel that you have been keeping under wraps (sorry for the pun).

Our friends Bob & Michelle are having the Diamond Shield removed from their Newmar. A Tampa Diamond Shield vendor is actually coming out to their home to remove it for $500.

See you guys soon!

Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I too have to remove the 3M invisibra. I went to the shop near my house that makes vinyl signs that stick on cars. They also know how to remove these. I specifically was asking about the bus wrap that was put on my Skydeck when it was young. Taking the vinyl off is just a matter of leaving the RV in the sun and then coming in with plastic razor blades and catching a corner and peeling until you get all that will come in a single bit. Sadly I am getting little 1x1 mm flakes, so I am a long way from done. Getting the vinyl up does leave adhesive on the paint.

They recommended a product for removing the glue called Rapid Remover. It has been a wonder, with all the glue left by the crew that tried to remove my bus wrap. It is citrus based, so it smells great while working. Just spray it on and wait 30 seconds and then use a plastic scraper and the stuff just comes off. After another 30 seconds it begins to harden into the new position, but I have found by re-spraying I get more time. I thought I would just wipe off the extra with paper towels, but I was using a LOT of towels. My technique is now to spray and scrape, shake the plastic tool to drop the collected adhesive goo and then scrape the remaining spray down to other glue. Eventually all the glue is scraped up and the surface doesn't need any more spray.

Probably will need to polish before waxing, I am leaving faint scratches from the plastic tool. Probably will need washing before I polish, there are still bits of glue that I missed, but I do have a 40 foot RV to get thru.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote