Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Wow - - - - - I did not know there was going to be a prize!!!!!!

Even though no one will ever see the "SKY" in the center roof mount on my 12'+ high Clipper, I thought it appropriate to clean up the mount, and maybe WIN A PRIZE.

I am now satisfied with this mount and impressed with the performance of the "SKY".

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post
So are we! I'm thinking a "Pimp My Ranger" contest in the near future....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	050820121158.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	157928   Click image for larger version

Name:	050820121161.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	157929  

Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
In post #1 I have shown my laptop stand in the CLIPPER. I never really used it for a laptop, but rather have always had a spiral bound note pad there for jotting down information as needed while underway.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1304781834

Well, now with no navigator, I need that laptop back in that position, and this required a power supply close, rather than have cords dragging over to my Third Battery Bank supply on the right corner of the cockpit.

I had this old disc container that was just collecting dust, and decided to use it for this project, to hold the 400W inverter, and the converter for the laptop.

I had previously included a HD Power Plug on the radio mounts on the seat, so this allows me now to store this bundle of wires within the container, under the drivers seat.

I cut some holes in the container for air circulation, and I am happy with this now. Unfortunately, this Toshiba laptop does not have BT and, after spending hours trying to download drivers etc, I gave up and have just used the hard wire to the GPS module, which I have mounted on my drivers side dash.

As mentioned in post #1, there is still plenty of room to exit and enter, and the only time I would have to remove this is if I am working under the dash in that corner.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150124_172023.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	231062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150124_173004.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	231063  

Name:	IMG_20150124_173101.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	231064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150124_173224.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	231065  

Name:	IMG_20150124_175123.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	231066  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
I like the function and form of the mount, and the attention to detail in your neatness with the cable control. However, what I like most is the use of items you already have. Very impressive!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
On post #16, I have remounted my laptop to the drivers position for navigation purpose.

I have now run a new #10 wire to a new power plug mounted on the seat base, to supply the 400W inverter. This runs off a new, under dash fuse box, mounted just to the right of the steering column. This fuse box is fed off the main chassis feed available on the front bulkhead, and accessed from the front access door.
This latest mod, frees up the other seat mounted power plug for other purposes, and also keeps the wiring for the inverter hidden under the seat.

The CLIPPER OEM came with one power plug which, with all the gadgets available today, did need upgrading.

I have just this past couple weeks, installed another four power plugs, two in the center dash area, and two on the drivers side panel. One was needed for the GPS remote module, and one to run my NOKIA GPS. All four plugs are fed from the new fuse panel located under dash.

I have now also got a mouse pad located on the stand which makes it easier to use than the touch pad on the laptop. All can be left installed, when the table is swung out of the way if not used. I will get a photo of that for next post.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I am still trying to refine my systems for travel alone.

I now have decided to try my BB PLAYBOOK in this driver position.

To secure it, and have it raised slightly to retain orientation, I have used the cabinet from an old SMC router. I fits the BB Playbook like a glove and works perfect for this job. A little trimming with the disc grinder and it looks OEM. I will give it a light spray some day I am painting stuff.

The old router base is secured with shock cords, and the Playbook is secured by the old router housing. All controls on the BB PLAYBOOK are accessible, and this setup now is secure and considerably less bulk than the laptop, which I have returned to the media desk.

The PLAYBOOK is easily removed if wanted. It is bridged to my Z10 for data, and BT connected to the remote GPS mounted in the windshield of the CLIPPER.

Now with this change, I have been able to remove the inverter assembly needed for the laptop, as the PLAYBOOK runs direct off the USB.

Why not just buy a NEW GPS? Well, I am just an old fart with a lot of time on my hands now!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150304_123834.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	233604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150304_123720.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	233605  

Name:	IMG_20150304_123423.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	233606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150304_123335.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	233607  

Name:	IMG_20150304_123343.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	233608  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Travel season is approaching fast and maybe a reminder on safe communication would be appropriate.

When travelling, and looking for free data stream on WiFi, using the SKY or any other Wi-Fi searching device, the chances of inadvertently locking onto a phony HOT SPOT at your travel stops has now increased.

If you stop in Walmarts, or Truck Stops, your device, SKY or other, is going to lock onto the strongest signal, and you will have no idea that your private information is being screened and logged for future use by someone interested in the criminal side of life.

This is a low risk crime that is now all too common.

If you are looking for a free signal direct from you laptop, etc, you are at least reviewing what signal you want to log onto. But the Wifi signal boosters like SKY or other brands, will lock onto the strongest signal without you knowing what that is without going to the dashboard to view that information.

A short video on this subject can be viewed here.

Crooks steal personal info using fake hotel WiFi hotspots - ABC15 Arizona

Dave
Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Glass Cockpit

Working on the Clipper for departure to the east, early next month.

CanTire had such a deal on the 7" GPS , I could not pass it up. My old Nextar dates back to 2007 and can not be updated.

Many times I was informed that I was off the road????

Mounted the new one as close to eye level as possible, making sure the mount is solid so that touch control will be accurate.

Used another old router housing for backing and mounting, to allow the speaker room to broadcast. Seems to be good.

No holes drilled, and nothing done that can't be reversed, in the mounting process.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150708_164842.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	242457  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Cannot tell who makes that GPS. And is the Nokia also used for GPS? And that tag on the shifter, is that just a way to remind yourself the comparison between metric and MPH? The speedo has that too.

Jealous of your trip. I'll be making a rapid x-country trip pretty soon, bringing my Airstream home.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The new GPS is a Magellan 9400-LM. It is a basic unit, but 7" makes a big difference when looking quickly at it at my age? The price was right, and most of it was paid for by my treasure chest of Canadian Tire Money. (Canada's second currency!)

The Nokia X7 is an older cell phone that did not have a great antenna on it and was always losing signal. It works great permanently mounted in the CLIPPER, receiving signal from my WiFi Ranger, and remote GPS Bluetooth.

I have since upgraded to BlackBerry's.

However, the Nokia has an excellent GPS mapping system, and I bluetooth it to a remote, mounted in the corner of the drivers side window.

As mentioned in previous post, I set up a BB Playbook to use for drivers GPS. It has an excellent GPS, but it will not display for more than 3 or 4 minutes. You have to keep touching it to display the screen. Annoying, but I will now use it for other information as the display is much easier to look at than the Z30 or the Z10.

We, (Canadians) went METRIC from the early 70's and I struggled with it, just as all others who had left school did . Once I retired, I have quit using Metric, and my brain just works with Imperial Measure.

This may be my last big trip for awhile, as I hope to be getting new knees, hopefully over the winter. I'll have to see how that goes.

Dave
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I cannot believe that the US holds out against things like metric, universal health care, gun control, religion. It's like during my lifetime we went from a country that respects intelligence to one that reveres the idiot. Of course when I was a kid it was all "Duck and Cover" so perhaps we were all looking to the smart ones to get us out of the mire we were in. Now everyone is upset their phone is 9 months old, why can't they get the new one. This is not a society dominated by thinkers.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Got a 100 mile test run in yesterday, and all systems are go. Also happy with the new Magellan 9400-LM GPS. Simple to use, good volume on voice commands, and good visibility, in the bright sunlight, in the location mounted.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150708_164800.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	242696