Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Glass Cockpit

Working on the Clipper for departure to the east, early next month.

CanTire had such a deal on the 7" GPS , I could not pass it up. My old Nextar dates back to 2007 and can not be updated.

Many times I was informed that I was off the road????

Mounted the new one as close to eye level as possible, making sure the mount is solid so that touch control will be accurate.

Used another old router housing for backing and mounting, to allow the speaker room to broadcast. Seems to be good.

No holes drilled, and nothing done that can't be reversed, in the mounting process.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150708_164842.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	242457  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Cannot tell who makes that GPS. And is the Nokia also used for GPS? And that tag on the shifter, is that just a way to remind yourself the comparison between metric and MPH? The speedo has that too.

Jealous of your trip. I'll be making a rapid x-country trip pretty soon, bringing my Airstream home.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The new GPS is a Magellan 9400-LM. It is a basic unit, but 7" makes a big difference when looking quickly at it at my age? The price was right, and most of it was paid for by my treasure chest of Canadian Tire Money. (Canada's second currency!)

The Nokia X7 is an older cell phone that did not have a great antenna on it and was always losing signal. It works great permanently mounted in the CLIPPER, receiving signal from my WiFi Ranger, and remote GPS Bluetooth.

I have since upgraded to BlackBerry's.

However, the Nokia has an excellent GPS mapping system, and I bluetooth it to a remote, mounted in the corner of the drivers side window.

As mentioned in previous post, I set up a BB Playbook to use for drivers GPS. It has an excellent GPS, but it will not display for more than 3 or 4 minutes. You have to keep touching it to display the screen. Annoying, but I will now use it for other information as the display is much easier to look at than the Z30 or the Z10.

We, (Canadians) went METRIC from the early 70's and I struggled with it, just as all others who had left school did . Once I retired, I have quit using Metric, and my brain just works with Imperial Measure.

This may be my last big trip for awhile, as I hope to be getting new knees, hopefully over the winter. I'll have to see how that goes.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I cannot believe that the US holds out against things like metric, universal health care, gun control, religion. It's like during my lifetime we went from a country that respects intelligence to one that reveres the idiot. Of course when I was a kid it was all "Duck and Cover" so perhaps we were all looking to the smart ones to get us out of the mire we were in. Now everyone is upset their phone is 9 months old, why can't they get the new one. This is not a society dominated by thinkers.
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Got a 100 mile test run in yesterday, and all systems are go. Also happy with the new Magellan 9400-LM GPS. Simple to use, good volume on voice commands, and good visibility, in the bright sunlight, in the location mounted.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150708_164800.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	242696