Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Clipper, Land Yacht, Radio TV Speakers

On my 1996 Clipper MH I have a dash switch that is marked TV Speakers.
I assume that the speakers can be used with the radio and the TV, but have never had that happen.
When I have the radio on and move the rocker switch, it kills the speakers for the radio, (which is handy if the CB or Cell phone is wanted) but I have never found any wiring in the TV area that would connect to the switch or external TV speaker. The radio is buried, and although I have been in that hole, I was not looking for this at the time.
My unit did not have the original TV when we got it, and I installed a HDTV shortly after purchase. I have rooted around the upper box and headliner to see if the external wires might be pushed aside, but have not been successful. The TV is still wired to the OEM kill switch when the key is turned on for safety reasons.

Question:
Can anyone tell me "IF and WHERE" the external speaker wires might be to save me from tearing the front apart again. I will run new wiring if I have to, but thought I would see if anyone has an easy solution.
I just installed the SVGA cable from the HDTV to the media desk and put it all back together and did not think about the speakers until after testing the laptop to the big screen and realized I still had to listen to the laptop speakers.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
TV speakers

Update:
Only way to find this stuff is to look yourself.
I removed the oak courtesy tray and, with mirror and flashlight, traced the wires from the control switch on dash and found they headed for the right ws pillar. I took the pillar cover off and the wires did go into the headliner and disappeared. I stuck my finger thru the hole to the rear of the AC outlet in the overhead compartment, and I could touch what I thought was wiring about the same size as the speaker control wire. Tried to see in there with mirror and flashlight but was not successful. I wasn't able to fish them out so I removed the AC outlet and found the wire bundle pushed back into the insulation.
I was able to pull out the 4 wires with the RCA connectors, PLUGGED then in and I NOW HAVE SOUND SURROUND IN THE CLIPPER.
The PO must have just stuffed them out of the way at some point, as they were not taped or tied as might be done be the OEM.
Job done
Dave
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sony XA-39 Auto Source Selector

Something happened and I lost my drivers side speaker feed on the Clipper. This may have happened some time ago but I just noticed it this week while prepping for our eastern tour. The rear speakers still worked on both sides, only the drivers side cockpit and lounge area were not rocking.

All the speakers worked with the TV but when the dash rocker switch was returned to radio setting only the right side would produce.

So I proceed to take the dash and console apart and try to pinpoint the problem.

On the CLIPPER, equipped with SONY AUDIO, located on the back of the center console is mounted a "SONY XA-39 AUTO SOURCE SELECTOR" that the radio and the CD player feed. This XA-39 automatically selects which input and feeds it on to the main amplifier with the XM 2022.

When I bypassed the XA-39 all my speakers worked as designed. The XA-39 has inputs for feeding front and back speakers, but in the CLIPPER application, the rear speakers, I believe, are fed from the main amp. or possibly the XM 2022?

I dismantled the XA-39 looking for a visual clue of loose solder joint or board burn but found nothing.

To correct the problem, I switched the inputs from the radio/CD to the rear speaker RCA inputs and also changed the output to the rear RCA connection. This solved my problem and all speakers again work.

I did a search for a new XA-39 and find they are obsolete and impossible to find new. The newer version was XA-300 but it has also been discontinued and is hard to come by.

My problem is solved for now but if anyone has any sources of these obsolete supplies please post for future reference.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062320135192.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	189169   Click image for larger version

Name:	062320135197.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	189170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	062320135201.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	189171   Click image for larger version

Name:	062320135208.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	189172  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)