Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #57
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Clipper, Cutter, Day Night Shades

I need to repair my day/night shade at the emergency exit window that has been neglected to long.

I was going to order a new one but this video details enough information that I should be able to repair it. Once you have good instructions anything is easy. But its that first time thats scary!

Dave

HOW TO: Re-String a Pleated RV Window Shade - YouTube

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #58
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Land Yacht, Clipper, Dock Lights

The DOCK LIGHTS on the AIRSTREAM CLIPPER, Land Yachts, XC, XL and A models used a Halogen Sealed Beam GE #H 9406 (may also use H 9405, H 9411, H 9414) lamp. These are no longer common stock at most automotive stores and may have to be ordered in. The ridiculous price is now over $35.00/ea. retail.

My local jobber did not have stock until next week (long weekend here) so I called my old working acquaintance at the local Volvo truck shop and they stock the same lamp which was used on the Volvo trucks a few years ago. Volvo stock it as a GE H 9415 or H 9420 or H 9421 depending on lamp projection area, with a Volvo stock # 3946938 or #3919800.

The price would still be called a sellers market opportunity but lower than jobber retail.

Test run today, all systems go, and we are ready to roll.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Again, this applies to the Clipper but may be of help on other units.

I will enter this here, although it is an outside item, it is to reduce the light reflection when backing into that strange spot after dark.

After being frustrated with having trouble seeing clearly when backing into those cg's or boondocks sites after dark, I started with the improvements posted earlier in this thread. I also was not happy with the reflection off the, (drivers side in particular) dock light, and installed a translucent shade, made up by cutting a green plastic container. That did help but I have now upgraded that by using some scrap white vinyl that blocks the glare completely.

The front dock lights are not normally visible in the mirrors so are not a problem. But I have done this on both mid body dock lights. With the vinyl, it will bend if contacted, and is not something that can cause injury to the kids it they rub up against them.

Easy to do if you have this problem.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #59
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The cheapest place to buy the H 9406 sealed beam seems to be Ryder @ $14.63.

Sealed Beam Lamp Rec-48 Tractor Flood Blade Term, H9406, GE Lighting - Ryder Fleet Products

Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #60
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Clipper Power Plugs

There never seems to be enough power plugs in the vehicles to run all the gadgets we want today.

On the OEM Clipper, there was one power plug located to the passenger side of the center console.

I had made some changes as time went by but there always was a nest of wires on the console.

Today I had some time so made some changes to help alleviate this problem.

I had previously installed a new power plug for the GPS on the upper console and have now added a second plug here for the in/out temperature display. These both run off the ignition circuit as they are only used while underway and are wired with #12 wire and a 15A fuse.

I like my coffee hot and have always used a heated cup while traveling. This wire now is buried in the console and goes to a live three position powerplug manifold that I have relocated to the location of the original powerplug on the right side.

I have also installed another powerplug and a USB plug also on the right side of the console. This powerplug is also #12 with a 20A fuse and will allow the use of my new 12V electric blanket if it is ever needed at the front seat.

Previously, when I had installed the radios, I had added a power plug to that area in case it was needed. However, to date I have seldom used it. It is close enough to the couch that it might come in handy someday.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	052420134959.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	186491   Click image for larger version

Name:	052420134946.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	186492  

Name:	052420134945.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	186493   Click image for larger version

Name:	052420134941.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	186494  

Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #61
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Air Brake Valve Guard

Over the years I have often thought I should make up some type of guard for the TPV (tractor protection valve) on the Clipper.

This valve is located directly right of the steering column and forward of my right knee while seated in the cockpit, and I have on occasion accidentally pushed on it when cleaning the windows or reaching for something in the upper cabinet. I have always caught what is happening before actually releasing the brakes, but someone else may not pick up on the rush of air that charges the brake system.

Inadvertently releasing the brakes is not good.

We have another weekend camping trip approaching with our overactive granddaughter who likes to push Grampa's buttons so the time was right for experimentation.

This evening I thought I would try this idea before drilling any more holes in the dash.

I took a plastic top off a beige spray paint can and used the small grinder to open the bottom. After removal of the roll pin holding the yellow valve handle, and the removal of the valve retainer nut, the top slips over the shaft and is secured with the re installation of the retainer nut. Remount the valve handle with the roll pin and job is done.

The cap has approx. the same estension as the TPV did and is soft enough that it will give a bit so it should not result in major knee injury.

I was originally going to cut out the right side to allow better access for my fingers, but for now I am going to test it this way.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	071920135592.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	191234   Click image for larger version

Name:	071920135600.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	191235  

Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
While camping this past week in the strong sun, we found it to be of some help to leave the interior twin cab fans on in addition to the twin Fantastic vents. (anything that keeps the air moving is bound to help)

For this type of beach escape there is no sense in running the air conditioning as we are outside until the wee hours of the morning.

I had purchased this cheap, single speed, oscillating, clamp-on 12V fan at WM a few years ago and also had it plugged in over the media desk. These fans are less than $20.00 compared to automotive 12V fans from the auto jobbers, or marine outlets, that run up to $100.00 very quickly.

I decided that this fan would work better if permanently mounted on a swing arm that could be directed to any of the seating in the cab or lounge area.

To facilitate this, I trimmed up an aluminium bike stand mount and attached it to the bottom of the upper cabinet over the media desk, and directly behind the cockpit passenger seat. It is now powered off the 12V power plug located on the #3 battery solar feed located in that area.

The swing out arm allows the fan to be directed into the cockpit, or onto the couch, or barrel chair as wanted.

For general air circulation or storage, the fan can be left in the retracted position below the cabinet and out of the way.

Works great.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080120135789.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	192243   Click image for larger version

Name:	080120135791.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	192244  

Name:	080120135797.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	192245  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #63
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I have now found this foot rest to be usable also on my barrel chair in the lounge when parked.

Modified the Barrel Chair base to accept the foot rest, and to make it even more comfortable to stretch my legs on, I have installed a removable swivel base for my feet to rest on.

This foot rest is actually able to do double duty here as, when the cockpit p/s captains chair is reversed and reclined, the foot rest, now on the barrel chair, is just in the right spot to support my extended legs.

The swivel base is mounted with two snap on leather straps that allow it to be rotated to any angle or removed if wanted.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm;1242371
I purchased today, a 60" length of 5/8" aluminium round stock. $13.70.

I did my bending on the truck trailer hitch and some fine tuning on the tractor draw bar.

I had a soft cover from an old bike rack that I slide over the aluminium.

The finished total length of mine is 52". I could have made it a bit longer but I wanted to still be able to swivel the chair with it on.

The foot rest is easily removed by pulling straight out of the seat base but fits snug enough to not slide when foot pressure is applied.

The upper angle can be increased depending on what length your navigators legs are. :brows:
[URL="http://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175370&d=1356734916"
[/URL]

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080320135803.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	192423   Click image for larger version

Name:	080320135807.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	192425  

Name:	080320135808.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	192426  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #64
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
We are heading for the high humidity area of the continent, Ontario and NY State.

To make things a bit more bearable, without running the Penquin Air all the time, I have installed another quiet fan installation for the passenger captains chair sitting or sleeping position.

When parked for the evening with the drapes pulled, not much of any light breeze will pass thru the screen and drapes.

If sitting there working on the laptop, a quiet breeze would be appreciated.

To create a gentle breeze with little noise, I have trimmed up my clear acrylic cover/arm rest that slides on the passenger side cabinet, to accept a couple computer fans and a control switch.

Think I might add a light to this also.

This is just a proof of concept project at this point, and if it proves value, I will redo this acrylic with some tinted material in the future.

Powered from the solar run to the #3 battery bank, this acrylic panel can slide forward approx. 12" to place that gentle breeze where it might be most effective.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080320135804.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	192428   Click image for larger version

Name:	080320135811.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	192429  

Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #65
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I have finished the MKII version of the fan and light assembly tonite.

I bent up some tinted acrylic to make a form fitting arm rest for using the mouse, and added a light that the navigator can control after dark that will not interfere with my driving visibility.

The fans are quiet and do give a nice gentle breeze when sitting here at the laptop with the window open.

At this point I am pleased with the result.

Dave

Quote:
To create a gentle breeze with little noise, I have trimmed up my clear acrylic cover/arm rest that slides on the passenger side cabinet, to accept a couple computer fans and a control switch.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080520135827.jpg
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	192532   Click image for larger version

Name:	080520135833.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	192533  

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #66
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
These low noise fans are great. Decided to install one for myself in the bedside cabinet on the road side. Nice gentle breeze to make those humid nights better for sleeping.

This time I used a PCI cooler fan mounted on a plexi rotating mount, and controlled by the illuminated switch that I had previously installed for the CPU fan installed on the passenger bed side.

This PCI fan seems to be a bit more productive than the CPU style I had installed previously but low noise level is about the same.

I will probably update the passenger side to a PCI style at first opportunity but I have other priorities at the moment.

Dave

Quote:
Now that I'm in this corner, I decided to make MGW happy ( happier ) and install a small fan with an illuminated control switch on the cabinet.

The fan can be pivoted out of the way if not wanted.

This is just a 12V computer fan that is quiet, but gives that gentle breeze across the head and shoulders. For more HD weather, I have a large 12V fan that I mount in the open window, but it is a bit noisy. This small fan is difficult to hear.

The fan is controlled by a switch that has an indicator light when on. Because the switch is in the dark corner, it can be seen from the hallway and would catch your eye if it was left on.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080620135837.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	192613  
Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #67
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I find that taking a picture allows you to view the situation as others would see it.

On this bedside cabinet, I see a lot of wasted space and decided to mount my combined clock/temp./pressure unit up on the back wall. This frees up the base for 'stuff' that comes and goes.

Bent and trimmed another piece of plexi and another improvement done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080820135855.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	192709   Click image for larger version

Name:	080820135859.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	192711  

Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #68
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Had some time today to update the fan on MGW's side of the bed.

Changed out the CPU fan for the PCI Case Fan that does a better job at no increase in noise level. These are cheap to buy and not a big deal to make up a pivot mount that will clears the cabinet frame.

With that done I then installed a second one on my side just to use up the material I had on hand. (no sense storing something if you can use it?)

These all pivot out of the way if not wanted.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080920135861.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	192819   Click image for larger version

Name:	080920135867.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	192820  

Name:	Image027.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	192821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image029.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	192822  

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #69
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Also had time today to find a solution for the place mats that were, stored behind and, always falling over the dish drain rack.

Simple works great.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080920135872.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	192823  
Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #70
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
LED Lamp Interference With TV Digital Signal

We are presently boondocking and have 2 Digital TV stations that are of strong steady signal.

PROBLEM: When I turn on this lamp, 12V LED mounted above desk, it knocks out the digital signal to the TV????????

No other LED lamp has any effect. The lamp is 3 feet or more lower than the TV and 5 feet or more lower than the antenna.

The TV is AC and the lamp is DC. The lamp is even on a completely independent circuit. (#3 batterybank)

Any expert input would be of interest?

Dave

Quote:
Originally, I had a 12V desk mount lamp here that worked well but again took up valuable desk space.
Quote:

I updated this with a wall mount version converted to and powered from the 12V power plug at the rear of the passenger side window. (off the #10 wire run to the front solar panel mounted on the front Penquin AC that powers the #3 battery bank.)

I fabricated an aluminum backing plate that mounts to the bottom of the window frame, thus not putting any holes in the wall fabric on the Clipper, so that it can be removed later if wanted.

There are good OEM lamps above this desk mounted in the bottom of the overhead cabinet, but this new lamp can be moved to direct light to a specific area. It could even be used by a passenger seated in the barrel chair, at night, while underway if wanted.

This media desk has a PLEXI top that can be slide under the rear retainer, that doubles the desktop size of eating from the barrel chair and the front passenger Captains chair when it is reversed. The PLEXI top is stored between the end of the kitchen counter and the couch.

Dave