Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 31' Legacy 30
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Streamerden

1993 454 30’ temperature electric fan
I decided to start a new thread on my overheating problem. Thank you so much to everyone who wrote in and gave suggestions. One thing I neglected to mention was the electric fan. I understand it is intended to cool the engine, vs the air-conditioner , due to the added load on the engine when the air-conditioning is on. What I have noted however is that my single electric fan, converted to manual switch, runs opposite to the engine fan. So the clutch fan draws in and the electric fan of opposes it by blowing out.
Is that the direction all Electric fans on motorhome blow? Does not make sense to me as it is competing with the fan clutch. I have to think it may be one of the reasons my new fan clutch seems to engage so late.
Streamerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is this your old thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...-a-194608.html

Sometimes it makes sense to stay in one thread, so that folks can see the context for the new question(s) IMO.

Good luck solving your problem.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Cooling fans

Ok, just so were on the same sheet here. The fan attached to the 454 is mounted on a temperature activated clutch pulling air from the grill of the MH through the radiator to cool engine. When engine is hot enough the clutch engages and the fan "locks" to the clutch increasing fan speed and airflow.

So, if there is a second fan, the electric one, mounted on the front side of the radiator, it should blow air through the radiator increasing airflow helping cool engine. It does not matter that the electric fan blade is rotating in the opposite direction of the engine mounted fan. The design of the blade should be such that when that fan is on, it is pushing air through the radiator. If air is coming out of the grill area to the front of the vehicle when electric fan is on, something is wrong.

If the electric fan is mounted on the back side of the radiator ( would be a tight fit between radiator and engine mounted cooling fan) it should be pulling air through radiator. Again, the direction the blade is going does not matter as long as it pulling air though radiator.

Question. Is the electric fan a factory installed part or was it installed after some overheating problems surfaced? If it was installed after MH was built, and overheat surfaced, the fan is nothing more than a bandaid masking real problem.

It may be a possibility that fan is wired incorrectly causing it to rotate in the wrong direction. I responded to your first thread with some possible problems and some offered solutions. Have any of those panned out?
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 31' Legacy 30
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Cooling fans

( thank you Peter regarding the idea of keeping on one thread )

Yes UralJohn I agree with you and you have interpreted my garble correctly.

As best as I can tell this is an original factory fan. It is mounted on the outside of the radiator. Tucked up tight against the rad. And in my mind it should be drawing air, pushing it into the engine.
I have had my mechanic check if fan direction could be reversed but it apparently cannot be. So my plan is to remove it and buy one large or two small fans to draw. I know in the newer models of the land yacht they have two fans but I don’t know the direction they blow. I find it hard to believe they would make this error from the factory. It is definitely mounted in the right direction.
Is there anyone out there that can confirm our Theory that your legacy fan pushes air back towards the engine?
Streamerden is offline   Reply With Quote