Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
generator not running

My generator quit working this spring. Took a long time in chasing down a bad ground. Finally got the generator running last night. Seems that Onan grounds the unit to the generator stator housing, which is attached to the Underfloor housing kit that is welded to the frame. The starter in the parts manual shows a Spec A Cable (#8) that attaches to the bottom mounting flange of the starter. This generator set was rebuilt in June of 2010. Either they left it off or depended on the starter being grounded by being bolted to the housing. When I took the starter off there was just enough white "salty" looking corrosion on the mating flanges. Cleaned it up, put some red synthetic electrical grease on it added a #6 wire (had laying around the shop), put back in place and started right up. Now I am going to look for a sliding generator tray at a junk yard. Took 2 1/2 hrs to drop generator the first time. Only 20 minutes the second time. But there is no way to change plugs or do most anything else to the unit in place. Talked to RV dealer in town and they said it would have been at least a $500.00 job with all of the labor time tracing a bad ground down and generator in and out. By the way. I called the 800 number for Onan and it connects to to your local shop. The guy at the Onan shop helped me out for at least 30 minutes. He said that it would take at least a month to get my unit in to work on with National Drags (INDY) and other RV events here. Very good customer service.
rsr2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Ya, I have a 92 LY that I had to drop the genset out of. Took an hour to drop but about 2 hours to reinstall. Mine needed the carb rebuilt, new plugs and the slip rings cleaned. I cleaned the ground you just referred to as well.

Let me know if you find a good solution to doing a generator slideout. I'd be interested in doing it as well.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
One of the biggest problems that I had on getting it out the first time was that I have a Banks system. They ran the exhaust at a 45 degree under the gen set out in front of the dual wheels. The biggest $ for a slide out is the hardware slides them selves. Rockler.com has some but still would require some fiberglass work on the body.
rsr2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I built my own slide out tray for the Kohler in my Classic, following Bkahler's lead.
I got my 20" 500lb slides from a guy on Ebay... I paid $50 for the pair.
Not sure on the config of your later MH, but the following pics might give you some ideas.

The Kohler is a twin cylinder, and is mounted on its own plate... I just added the slides and a piece of angle iron, lifting the unit up about 1". I only need to undo the 2 exhaust clamps and drop the muffler, then with a little cable watching, the whole thing pulls out.
At least I can now reach the rear spark plug..

Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote