Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Camarillo , California
Defective Odometer

Has anyone had experience they would be willing to share in dismounting the dashboard of an '04 30' Land Yacht S/O in order to remove the instrument cluster for repair? The odometer software has failed and the mileage is illegible. It appears doable if I knew which of the many screws should be removed.
Byers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Its probably going to be a trial and error type of effort. With my experience on my dash, if you attempt this, you'll find its a chain reaction. Having to remove way more screws and unhook more items than you thought it would take before starting. But mine is alot older coach, maybe newer models not as difficult. Good luck!

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Can't really help on the R&R of the IP Cluster but HERE is the company that did all our GM repairs and warranty. It may be most cost effective to send it there for repair/exchange.

Good Luck...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Speedometer Repair

Southern Electronics has always given me good service in my automotive restoration projects over the years. They are one of three places in the US that I found that could repair the electronic instrument cluster in my 1984 Camaro Berlinetta.

http://www.southernelectronics.com/

Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Camarillo , California
update to instrument cluster failure

Task successfully completed. Removing dash not as daunting as it appeared, just lots of screws and, when complete, not a whole lot of room to work in but only 2 connector plugs to remove. Actia techs very helpful, even downloaded the service manual to assist me. Very much a DIY project but would suggest contacting Workhorse and/or Actia ( the cluster manufacturer) to be certain there are no outstanding recalls that have not been performed on the unit. If there are it is possible, even if out of warranty, that the replacement cost could be avoided which would save the $354 cost of a refurbished unit and a lot of your time.
Thanks to those who responded to my post.
Byers
Byers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byers View Post
The odometer software has failed and the mileage is illegible. It appears doable if I knew which of the many screws should be removed.
Have tried to get behind dash for a couple of items, not a pleasant experience, way too many wires and a big jumble with many installers. I was able to take out about 50 ft of excess wire and half a dozen connectors as PO used techs to install stuff, they only wanted the item they were installing to work, grab a hot wire and add a connector even if tech before did it six inches away. I would take many pictures, try to trace source see if a direct route could be made and maybe even bundle like they do for automobiles.
On the odometer, I do have experience with a dodge that failed, when I got it apart a plastic gear lost it's teeth, and while checking it more fell off, seems like they made it to disintegrate. Gear wasn't replaceable but rebuild shop would do it for 100. Checked ebay found a complete cluster for 25 and was able to put the speedo and odometer from it. This is one of the places I wouldn't want a tech to be working, upside down, cramped and the possibility of messing up other stuff.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote