Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Maybe the rear cap to body seal? Ladder mount at top? Port and Stb gutter rail? As a stretch check carefully the window seals as on my rig the rocket scientists at AS drilled on the cutout line for the window to insert the saw and as a result when the window moulding went in there was a space of abt 1/8 inch where water got in over time.

Regards
Steve

Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #58
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Has anyone taken the seal across the top rear apart? What do you use to reseal it down?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Checked the ladder mount, no leak. but I found one rivet so loose a new one will not hold it is the top rear street side curved aluminum. for now I filled it with Dicore ,cleaned the seam on the rear and a few inches forward on the top which looked like it had been wet before. I am going to dig above the cabinets since the wood ceiling of the cabinet is rotten and see what the rivet can grab onto, heck I may need to use a screw.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
One real common leak area for leaks is where the aluminum roof quarter rounds contacts the rear end cap. All along the end cap to roof seam as well. As you noticed, ANY loose rivets will allow water to come in too. If you have water in both rear cabinets, then I’d suspect an area around those corner seams.

My suggestion… Take it for what it’s worth… Tarp over the area above the rear end cap and forward to the rear AC. Tape it down and see if the area above the cabinets drys out. Once dry, take a hose and pressure saturate each corner one at a time and look for leaks inside over the next few hours. Any moisture is an indicator of a leak. Once you’ve narrowed it down to a small area you should be able to identify the source of the leak. You’ve been trying to “shot gun” this problem for weeks now. Break it down into smaller segments and you’ll locate the problem much quicker. In the mean time, look for ANY loose rivets, cracked seams or crakes in the fiberglass end cap. Don’t forget the seam that runs along each side of the rear of the coach connecting the side walls to the end cap. Especially where it meets the top quarter round.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #61
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Well I dug out all the old caulking at the aluminum trim meets the rear end cap and both rear corners where water puddles. I scrubbed with soap and water then acetoned the surface. I also ran an extra bead of dicore to both side or the rear 1 " molding that goes across the rear top.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Hopefully that will do it.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #63
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
It has been raining heavy most of the day,,,,,,,,,,, No leak
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Glad to hear it! My LY had more leaks then the Titanic. A little time and patients and it all works out.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #65
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I still get leaks. This is a never ending saga. What do you put down under the strip that runs across the coach that divides front or rear cap from the fiberglass roof?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #66
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Dicor
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #67
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I asked Airstream and they said Adseal. I thought a butyl tape would work. Now just how are you suppose to seal the side seams, a bead of dicor ?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #68
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Ok I am now waiting for the good weather to seal my roof again. I am going to approach this project this time with butyl tape sandwiched at the rivets/screws between the fiberglass roof and Aluminum (sides) and front and rear caps. Then applying Dicor. I have tried the Eturnabond, and just cleaning the seams and applying Dicor , it still leaks. Not as bad mind you but it still is leaking at the corners. I am now looking for any short cuts in doing this.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #69
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
There is a good chance your leaks at the corners are coming from somewhere else. The f/g roof is a one piece assemble and water will run to the ends to try to escape at the seam joints.

The Eternabond is a good product if applied to a properly prepared surface. If the Eternabond shows signs of lifting or bubbling, then remove that portion, clean, and reapply.

Check all other protrusions thru the roof for failure of the seal. (vent, skylight, antenna, etc.

Rain leaks are frustrating for sure, but perseverance should prevail in time.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #70
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I have been over this roof thoroughly as you can see from my posts. The Eturnabond does not stick well to the fiberglass textured roof. They have already refunded me my money and will use their product on other surfaces as when I removed the old Eturnabond it stuck very well to everything up there except the textured/pebbled fiberglass . They agreed I prepped the surface properly.