Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
'90 LY 33-buyer needs structure info

I am going to look at a 1990 33' Land Yacht MH.

What I need to know is information and problem areas and what to look out for relating to the shell/structure or the specific tag axle set up.

I am familiar with the P30 chassis and 454 drivetrain, and in general can look for rust/frame damage etc. I am also familiar with the MH living systems, so just need info on major structural problem areas.

I searched and can't find these answers, if you have a link I would appreciate it. I think I read somewhere of some skin bonding issues, not sure.

Thanks, Skip
skipnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Delamination, roof problems, floor rot, generator condition and operation.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
The 1990 LY didn't have a one piece roof which contributed to a lot of interior and exterior problems like delamination and head liner sagging. Check roof for soft spots around skylights, vents and AC. Look for water damage both inside and out around windows and where the front and rear end caps attaches to the sides.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Same with the 92 I have. There are two long runs of aluminum corner rounds that must be sealed along with the front and rear end caps. Basically a large rectangle around the exterior of the roof line that prone to leaks. Open every cabinet and closet to look for wrinkled wall paper. If you do find delamination and interior signs of leaks, and you're good at working on things, you can drive the price down considerably. That assumes you're willing to do the work yourself. I picked up my 1992 36ft Land yacht for $2000. It needed about $4000 of work but once done it has served us well.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
'90 ly mh

If there are roof leaks/delaminations, is that "permanently" fixable, at what cost, etc. It is gutted already so easy to get to problems, I am not sure what the fix entails.

If it is simply squirting some adhesive and bracing it against a tree, I can probably handle that. Does it take specialized tools/skills to fix the roof/delaminations?

Unit is cheap, $2k, 84k miles, gutted inside, it interested me because of the general reputation of Airstream, and of course my idea of a complete custom interior built just for me-

but is this an Airstream mistake?

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Airstream used some quality products, but if you are looking at a gutted out inside, all the quality cabinets, appliances, lights etc you would have to buy, but like you said it would be custom. When I built a mh from scratch many years ago after adding up all the stuff needed and time to install I would have been better off to find a unit that needed some minor tlc, wax, rubbing compound was cheap, appliances and all rv stuff was/is expensive. You will be stopped in your tracks for custom by where the tanks are, plumbing and wiring don't change locations easily, ask the owners that decided to change the location of the tv not so simple, so your gutted unit will be much easier than trying to route wires and plumbing changes. The giveaway price is for a strong motor and chassis, don't forget a couple thousand for new tires, brakes that haven't been used and fuel system clogged with old fuel. Good luck and if you decide to do it keep a running total and I will know what my AS is worth
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Check out SV34 thread on 92 36' roof removal. There must have been a reason for gutting it out. I would think it was major water leaking problems. If its gutted you should be able to see damage on side wall panels and stained and sagging ceiling panels, if any of that has been removed check out the tubular frame. AS used steel for a period in these MH's not aluminum and as SV34 found out too badly rusted to be worth repairing.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
With the interior gutted, I would not be looking too hard at that unit. It would cost a mint to get it back on the road. Too many other options out there. Just be patient.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
delamination repairs

Yeah, buying a gutted project probably isn't the smartest. But its so cheap.....

Anyway, if the frame and shell frame are in serviceable condition, and since its gutted anyway, how would I address resealing the roof and fixing the delamination issues?

Is it simply a matter of squirting modern adhesive and bracing against a tree (figuratively), and simply cleaning out the caulking on the roof and resealing with new caulk?

Or does the side panels/roof need to be de-riveted/detached?

Thanks again.