Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
Truck shop LOVED the 280

After a crazy couple of weeks unrelated to Airstreaming, I dropped off the 280 to have the bell housing support brackets installed and a precision alignment done. The truck shop guys were a riot--they loved the Airstream. They said they had never seen one looking so good at this age (27 years) and were very impressed. They didn't seem to think either installing the supports or the alignment would be too much of a job after driving it through the parking lot. They are then taking her next door to the mechanic who will do a thorough inspection of engine, tranny, rear end, front end, belts, hoses, and RV related items, etc.

I went through the PO's folders and found that most everything had been replaced recently--except those things that have broken down for us, of course. We are having a new Atwood water heater installed prior to our next road trip to solve the double issues of trouble starting and a leak at the heater and we are hoping for a breakdown-free and smooth riding adventure next week. While it may not be realized, at least I'll know many big issues have been addressed and we have AAA and Good Sam.

Thank you again for all the help, advice, and suggestions.

P.S.
We know someone who might be selling a 310. I know absolutely nothing about it except that it has been sitting unused for probably 10 years. Can anyone weigh in on that model? We are only considering it because it might sleep our six more comfortably. Of course, then we'll have to start over on the fix-its, but that's my m.o. for houses: get them all fixed up how I like it, then sell it and start over.
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Metro Detroit rally

Will you have her all fixed up and ready to go for the Metro Detroit rally July 31-Aug. 2? We would love to see you and your rig. Sounds like your are doing a great job of getting your rig all gussied up!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Would love to, but can't...

We have to head to Rochester, NY next Wednesday for my husband's grandma's interment taking place Friday. We will be camping at Canandaigua KOA for a long weekend with family from all over and then heading back to Detroit Sunday. We tried to work out doing both, but it just won't work out. We'd love to join your crew for another rally or get-together. We are just loving the Airstream and would really like to meet others from the forum, just not this time. I am planning on "the Wilds" trip provided the school schedule allows.
We aren't doing much to the motorhome, she was in really great shape, just some breakdown repairs and personalizing. But, now we're realizing that we might need a little more room with 4 kids. Now that the littlest is rolling over, the bassinet on the shelf might not be the safest place for him!
Thanks for the invite, and please keep us in mind for future Detroit Metro events.
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
oohh...do tell us about your new water heater install, i'm about to do the same on my 310...i wish my alignment guys had been as impressed...i shoulda cleaned up all the tools, hoses and wires scattered all over the cockpit and cabin

i'm just getting started on interior stuff, just getting the engine/suspension basics completely redone exhausted me....time now for a relaxing road trip, but i leave tomorrow with full confidence. I'm meeting up with someone in my area with a late 70's 280..pictures to come

i got my 310 at a great price, it had been on the market for quite awhile and sitting in storage for over 12 years. i inherited all the problems that came with it sitting so long, but due to this forum i knew exactly what i was getting into.

snatch up that find....yes it will be alot of work, but you knew that
that would make you the perfect owner for it.
the 310 floorplan is great, and it's a dream to drive, so many options for the space....but i do wish the shower was taller and easyer to expand w/o having to move the fridge & there was more storage underneath, but i couldent have been happier...I looked @ a 345 but it was just tooo big, and a 280 i looked at had the leaky troublesome rear bath problem.....the 310 is ideal.

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Water heater video

Hi Mary: I am not doing the water heater myself, I have done precious little myself and have been paying dearly for my laziness! We have found a nice mobile RV guy who has a fabulously tricked out travelling workshop/truck who can do most anything except chassis work so he'll be here next week to do it. I did watch a video I found somewhere on the forums about replacing the Atwood. It seems really straightforward and I'm pretty sure I could do it myself if I could find the time. But, the amount I'd pay a babysitter will just about be a wash for the mobile RV guy and at least this way, I'll know it's done right and there will be no runs up to the hardware store for the tool I don't have or can't find. I got a decent deal on a new one on Ebay, $359 delivered, on the dsi propane, electronic ignition one. It's what we have now so the swap should be fairly simple. I tried locally and no one has any Atwoods in stock which I found strange, but the Tennessee dealer I bought from had it here within 72 hours. It was new in the box, so I'm not sure what the local issue is.
Anyway, good luck.
I need to get a look at the 310 before I seriously consider it--I'm hoping it's got the dinette in the front rather than the chairs. That way, we should have enough room for everyone. If we get a good enough deal, I don't mind having to replace just about everything because that's going to happen anyway. Then we'd have to sell the 280, though, and that would make me sad but we won't need two motorhomes. I love her. I just want to finish fixing her up and then see where we stand. I couldn't sell her without fixing everything that is on my wish/to do list. My other thought is to have a little bunk installed over the rear full bed in the 280 that can fold up for daytime use and be dropped down for one of the guys at night. We'll see.
Good luck with your projects.