Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Toad question

My old Suzuki is getting old, it's a '99 with 170K on it, so, I've been looking for a new toad to tow 4 wheels on the ground. The only one under 2000# is the Smart Car which isn't my first (2nd, 3rd, 4th,... 10th) choose. My first choose would be a VW Golf Diesel 6 speed standard. My local VW dealer tells me it can't be towed. Couldn't tell my why, just it can't. I hate can't s so, anyone know anything about why?
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Toad

You can keep a 1986 MH going, you should be able to make that 1999 Suzuki last a bit longer.

Is that a Sidekick or a sedan?
Keep us informed, what you find size and weight size, as I probably will want to upgrade in the next couple years. We have not AC on our soft topTracker.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
It's the 4 door with a 4 cylinder. It's still a good car.
I'm thinking of retiring the old Dodge diesel and getting another car. The clutch in that Dodge is killing my knee. Would like the next car to be tow-able. Really hoping CNG (.75 per gallon) fueling stations will become common place before I buy something, but I like diesel VW as things are now.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Toad

We have a 2001 VW Beetle, diesel, auto, and although it is a very nice car, you are tied to the dealer for parts and code reader, etc. I hate every visit being over $500. You sure need a trusted dealer, or good shop that has the tools to work on them.
Probably the same for any newer brand nowadays.
We don't tow it but have considered getting a dolly if the right deal came along.
I like the 91 Tracker for a toad, but it will not last forever.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We had a 96 4WD automatic Tracker we towed for 3 1/2 years, till I went from 45 to 0 in about 3 feet...in the aftermath, we ended up with a 95 Nissan Maxima(2WD, standard), both were flat-tows...I really liked the Geo, and miss her a lot...if you can stay with your Suz, I would recommend it...they were basically the same package, just a different engine configuration. The Geo had a sturdier motor, and it has a better road life, given proper care, but if you start noting the older Trackers and Suzukis down the road, you'll find a LOT of them still being toads...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
We have towed our 1976 Porsche 912E behind our 1986 345 for the last 3 years. Works great with the 5 speed manual in the Porsche. The Airstream does not even know it's there.
We have just bought a 1999 Saturn SL1 as our new toad. My wife does not like driving the Porsche in the Florida winter traffic, so....
The Saturn is one of the few automatics that can be towed 4 down with no mod needed to the transmission. The only limit is keep it below 65 mph while towing. No problem.
4 door, automatic, A/C, Sun roof, etc. Just a few more creature comforts than the Porsche.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Putnam Airstream 006-1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	120274  
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
The Saturn works for us :)

Our toad is a 98 SL2 and the stream don't even know its there! Does not effect the mileage at all. Got to keep in mind that is is there!

When we made these cars, it was one of the most preferred toads out there! And for me, still is today!

Oh well, the little car big GM could not handle!
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
Our toad is a 98 SL2 and the stream don't even know its there! Does not effect the mileage at all. Got to keep in mind that is is there!

When we made these cars, it was one of the most preferred toads out there! And for me, still is today!

Oh well, the little car big GM could not handle!
The Saturn is on my list. I almost bought a Sky once, still might. The union killed Saturn.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We tow a 2000 manual tranny Toyota Echo - weighs in around 2030 lbs. Great car, great mileage - 35 city, 50 hwy if driven around 60 mph. Fantastic trunk space.
Used Echoes are hard to come by.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
I tow a 2008 Jeep wrangler 6 speed manual. I have to remind myself it's back there.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Now, I can't tell you if it can be towed 4 wheels down, but if you want a lightweight car, yet one that is surprisingly roomy and bulletproof in terms of reliability, look at a used Toyota Echo.

I bought my 2005 new and have never owned a car as nice to drive, and yet only sees the service department for routine stuff.

Because they aren't the most beautiful car on the road, the used ones go for a very reasonable price, IMHO.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The Scion(Toyota offspring) is a flat tow, it's light, and I'm seeing more of them...kinda boxy, but 4 door with actual leg room in the back seat, and storage space behind...I'd still rather have my Tracker...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
2013 4 wheels down cars

This is an old thread and I wanted to update the selections to 2013. I am looking at a 2013 Chevy Sonic, automatic transmission front wheel drive with the 1.8L engine . According to the 2013 Dinghy Guides this is towable 4 wheels down and only requires that fuse 32 be removed while towing. The turbo charged engine which is an option for the Sonic is not towable 4 wheels down.

Anyone towing a Chevy Sonic.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Anyone towing a Chevy Sonic.
When I was shopping for a new daily driver that would double as a toad, I considered a Chevy Sonic. But ended up getting a Honda Fit instead. I believe I made the right call.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When I was shopping for a new daily driver that would double as a toad, I considered a Chevy Sonic. But ended up getting a Honda Fit instead. I believe I made the right call.

Yes I have looked at the Honda Fit also. Good looking car. In the 2013 towing guide from FMCA this is the only comment for towing 4 wheels down for the Honda Fit.

Special procedure required for every 8 hours of towing to avoid severe transmission damage. Refer to owners manual for details.

What special procedure is required.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Yes I have looked at the Honda Fit also. Good looking car. In the 2013 towing guide from FMCA this is the only comment for towing 4 wheels down for the Honda Fit.

Special procedure required for every 8 hours of towing to avoid severe transmission damage. Refer to owners manual for details.

What special procedure is required.
For automatic transmissions (which mine is):
Start the engine.
Cycle through all of the gears.
Shift from DRIVE to Neutral (not from reverse to neutral!).
While in neutral, let it idle for 3 minutes.
Shut off the engine, leaving the key in the Accessory position to ensure the steering wheel does not lock.
Repeat every 500 miles.
Max towing speed 65 mph.

Since my Interstate won't even go 500 miles on a full tank, for me it's easy to remember, just repeat at every fuel stop.

The manual also says to pull the radio fuse, but since my Roadmaster Invisibrake includes a battery trickle charger, there's no need to unplug a fuse to prevent battery drain.

What I generally do is take care of the shifting (first few steps above) before hooking up the towbar, then hook up everything but the electrical connection while it's idling in neutral. After shutting off the engine, that's when I take off the parking brake, hook up the umbilical to the 7-pin connector, check that the lights and supplemental brakes are working, and I'm good to go.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have started looking for a Honda Element-standard tranny...flat tow is fine for them, and no procedural stuff other than key in ignition, neutral, parking brake off...will probably use the magnetic lights...they sit roomy, have a sunroof-on-steroids, can actually be a mini camper with the custom top, and have...gulp...lots of storage...
Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
We have started looking for a Honda Element-standard tranny...flat tow is fine for them, and no procedural stuff other than key in ignition, neutral, parking brake off...will probably use the magnetic lights...they sit roomy, have a sunroof-on-steroids, can actually be a mini camper with the custom top, and have...gulp...lots of storage...
It's generally accepted that most standard-transmission vehicles are flat-towable, but if that's your intent, then by all means insist upon a look at the owner's manual before you buy (the manual is almost never in the vehicle when you do a test drive). The owner's manual should have specific things to say about flat-towing. If the manual says "No flat-towing" then don't buy it as a toad. The baseplate installation will be obvious to any mechanic, and will be a "void your warranty" flag when you take it in for any routine maintenance or warranty repairs.

Also, check with Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and other towbar baseplate manufacturers, and see if they even offer a baseplate kit for an Element. If they don't, you're looking at spending large for a custom fabrication.

As an aside, the issue of why Honda doesn't allow you to flat-tow an Element anymore is apparently a perennial topic on the Element Owner's Club Forums (Element Owners Club | Honda Element Owners Club - Home).

I checked out Fit Freak, the Honda Fit forum, while I was still shopping for a toad, to read up on what other people said about converting their Fits for flat-towing. Just like Air Forums, car owners forums are a wealth of information about specific makes and models, and are well worth checking out before you purchase a car.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

It's generally accepted that most standard-transmission vehicles are flat-towable, but if that's your intent, then by all means insist upon a look at the owner's manual before you buy (the manual is almost never in the vehicle when you do a test drive). The owner's manual should have specific things to say about flat-towing. If the manual says "No flat-towing" then don't buy it as a toad. ..
I agree 200%. Not all stick shifts are towable. I had a Suzuki Samurai and during an outing behind my class A MH, the Suzuki transmission welded itself into 3rd gear. It was in neutral but the gear seized to the output shaft. It was a mess having to remove the driveshaft on the side of I-10 in Houston rush hour traffic. (I bet that little 4 cyl engine revved to 7000 rpm as it slowed down my 35' MH!)

Why did mine fail? It was 2wd. A 4wd was ok to tow because the transfer case would self lube in neutral, the manual tranny didn't.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I have a 1993 Miata standard shift as a second toad. Light enough I don't need to use the easy brake with it. Under 2000 pounds, fun to drive, paid for, good on gas, I can fix anything on it. Rescued it from a junk yard for pocket change. Did I say it 's paid for?
If I go on a trip w/o the wife, she gets to keep her Suzuki auto/4wd. Which tow good, but it weighs close to 3000 pounds and really needs the easy break to help stop everything.

mel

Tags
toad, towed car