Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
size, propane tank in a 1989 345 ? working gauge

We spent the past week in the coach on the farm near Edison Ohio

The previous owner said they filled the Propane tank before our trip to Texas to pick her up. Now with Two new furnaces installed by Jr's RV. service in Findlay Ohio and a week of cool nights camping we had a chance to utilize some propane and the furnaces.

After 4 days, with the gauge still showing FULL I became suspicious of the accuracy of the reading and figured, run them till the tank empties.

So Friday morning we woke to an inside temp of 40 and an empty Propane tank

We drove a Mile to Landmark 0n rt. 95 and they put in 28.5 lbs for $71. Plus tax.

also eating breakfast at McDonald's next door, Handy !!!

So are these 30 Lb. tanks and can we feed these with 20 or 30 lb portable bottles so we can have a more extended stay ??

I do think I saw someone ask in another thread about a portable Nurse Tank hook up to the coach mounted tank ???
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Also, How do I check, fix the gauge ???
Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
My guage also is stuck on full. Read in another post that the sending units go bad and have to be replaced. Just haven't done it yet. There is a manual gauge mounted on the tank beside the on off valve. I keep an eye on that.

Must have been pretty cold to use that much propane in that short a time. Maybe the furnace installers used up a bunch of gas setting them up.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
My guage also is stuck on full. Read in another post that the sending units go bad and have to be replaced. Just haven't done it yet. There is a manual gauge mounted on the tank beside the on off valve. I keep an eye on that.

Must have been pretty cold to use that much propane in that short a time. Maybe the furnace installers used up a bunch of gas setting them up.
Thank You, I will have to find the manual gauge cooperhawk, then find a new sending unit ??? someplace ?

I Have the feeling that the tank was NOT full when we picked her Up in July ?

Especially when BOTH furnaces had been removed and they P.O. never used the stove ??? I think they just looked at the gauge and considered the tank Full !!!

So they do come equipped with a 30 gallon Tank ???

Thank you cooperhawk for the reply
Old 11-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
You can get what's called an extended stay kit, which consists of a Tee with a fitting to screw in to your existing tank, a female end for the original hose to screw in to, and a 1/4" female thread for the extended stay hose to screw in to. This hose has a male end on it that will screw in to any of the old style tanks. I bought it for mine because I'm full timing it for work. I have it hooked up to a 100 lb tank. With the cold weather out here on the East Coast, I killed a 30 lb tank in a few days with the heat on. But I'm also parked near the water with a lot of wind blowing.
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman6 View Post
You can get what's called an extended stay kit, which consists of a Tee with a fitting to screw in to your existing tank, a female end for the original hose to screw in to, and a 1/4" female thread for the extended stay hose to screw in to. This hose has a male end on it that will screw in to any of the old style tanks. I bought it for mine because I'm full timing it for work. I have it hooked up to a 100 lb tank. With the cold weather out here on the East Coast, I killed a 30 lb tank in a few days with the heat on. But I'm also parked near the water with a lot of wind blowing.
That is good to know catman6

I will look at some fittings
Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
John,

My tank size page lists the sizes of your tanks on your 1989 345. I show it as a 125 lb. tank. If you know the weight of a gallon of LP, you could figure out the total gallons. If you top it off, you should not worry about running out. I never got past 1/2 even after lots of use. It took forever (hours) to empty it (in on open field) for transport oversees to its new owner!

-Fred
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Our '89 345 has a 125 lb tank...the heaters eat a lot of propane, and if you boondock, they eat a lot of electric...you may have a gas leak...well worth the bucks to have someone check the system, as opposed to having to pay someone to pick up the pieces of your unit AFTER the explosion(you will be airlifted to a burn center, if you survive).
It could be a faulty sensor, or...??? LPG is not a thing to play with...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Our '89 345 has a 125 lb tank...the heaters eat a lot of propane, and if you boondock, they eat a lot of electric...you may have a gas leak...well worth the bucks to have someone check the system, as opposed to having to pay someone to pick up the pieces of your unit AFTER the explosion(you will be airlifted to a burn center, if you survive).
It could be a faulty sensor, or...??? LPG is not a thing to play with...
mike
Hello Mike, we did use the Two furnaces for a week and had NO idea how much propane we started with. when JR's RV center installed the Two new furnaces 3 weeks ago he checked the lines, conections and also did an in line pressure test. All the lines and connections appear to be fine.
Now that we are full we can gauge the usage more accurately.

I see Fred's chart does show a 125 Lb tank so that confirms my previous information is correct.

Now to fix the gauge and see if I do have a manual gauge by the turn off valve ???
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Hey John,
The manual gauge is on the tank...ya kinda have to squat real low to read it, and you'll have to wipe the face of it...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I will be very interested to see if you are able to get a sending unit for your tank. On my 84 I recently tried to replace the sending unit, the shop who was trying even called the manufacturer of the tank was told that no replacement was available.

The only option appears to be to replace the tank (big $$).

Sure would like another solution.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Fred,
Here's the information I have for my 1984 310 Limited:
60 Gallon Potable Water Tank
35 Gallon Gray Water Tank
25 Gallon Black Water Tank
60 Gallon Fuel Tank
125lb Propane Tank

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
UPDATE

We got back to the Coach on the farm near Edison after dark last evening. So with the good information from all above I soon found My Manual gauge, showing 3 / 4th full.

I also found the Wire to the sending unit severed at the connection, quick fix, inside gauge showed 3 / 4ths full right ON

Then I realized that the ( Extended stay, 65 $ part ) was installed and now I know what it IS !!!

So thank You every one !!!!