Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Replacement Steps

I have taken my steps off and adjusted them so that they now extend out as far as they will go. However, they still wobble and they still do not extend to a distance I am comfortable with. I use a cane to manuever and stumble with and have made less than graceful stumbles off of this step. Question- has anyone ever replaced this single wobbly step with a nice sturdy two step? (no dance jokes) If not what do you do to make your step secure?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you have the OEM Vacuum step, there is not a 2 step conversion. You could have a Kwikee brand electric step installed in place of the vacuum step. These come on one, two and three step models depending on the distance that you need to cover. This is something that Roskopf's RV Sales & Service in Memonee falls should be able to do for you.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Got any advise for someone who needs to replace the fold down steps on a 78 Argosy? These are very unsteady and don't always stay locked into place. This is the two step type. I have seen another 78 just like mine with only one step and it was much sturdier than what I have. Any suggestions?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Thanks for the information Brett. The good folks at Roskopfs. I use them often and they always grumble about Airstreams but almost all of thier mechanics will sneak over to take a peak and compliment my Chummy. I will drive out there and see what they have to say.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Talking

Hi all. I just purchased a brand new (to me of course) 1982 Airstream 280 Turbo Diesel Motorhome!!! I am really excited and will probably have many questions in the future, but my first question is related to this thread. I have the vacumatic step, one step only, but it does not work. Has anyone fixed this problem that may have some suggestions of where to start? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

hi , nice RV! I was very close to purchasing your RV a couple of weeks ago. I went big, instead. Have fun.
urbanextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Way to go Sandi, let me know when you're coming up Sumter way so we can compare coaches.

Kent, good luck with your step replacement. I miss my two step as I'm waiting for the cast actuator arm to arrive from Kwikee this week. It's hard to believe they only put a single step in your coach with 19.5 inch tires.... that's a long way up... or down as the case may be.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You might start by checking to see if the step is well lubed. also check the connections to see if they are ok. lastly it would possibly have a leak in the vacuum set up. I don't belive parts are made for these anymore, but it might be an easy fix if you can determine the problem.
Good luck with your "new to you coach" , they sure are fun.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
We are going to start work on the step tonight. I'll see that the things mentioned are checked and go from there. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Sandi - welcome to the "dark side" of Airstreaming.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Why the "dark side"???? I want to be sure I know what I am getting into!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If I can speak for Steve; I think he means the ongoing maintenance and repair you might face. Its always unknow as to what will pop up. So like the Boy Scouts you have to "be prepared".
In my case I have had minimal problems after my initial period of ownership and ongoing maintenace seems to help keep it that way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Sandi!!!
Congrats from your "Nascar Buddies!!" Are you going to tow your 34" behind your MH... Just kidding, are you going to be a 2 Airstream family from now on??
Hope to see you soon!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Hey Bristol Friends,

I plan to try out the motorhome a few times and if I like "motorhoming", I will sell the trailer. I sure hate to give it up when I have just gotten it near perfect, but I can't convince my husband that I need TWO Airstreams!!!

If I can get a few of the bugs worked out, I am headed to Talladega next week in the new motorhome. If not, I guess the trailer will get to go. We have been playing with the generator trying to get it running smoothly and the refrigerator doesn't seem to be cooling enough, but it is only 3 years old so I hope it isn't anything big. If I can get those things straight, I guess the motorhome will head out on it's first Nascar experience. I do plan to be at Bristol in the spring and hopefully we can get together again. I think I will start a thread to see if anyone will be at Talladega.

Hope to see ya'll soon.

Sandi
Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Sandi- the step is not worth repairing. I am afraid that the good folks at Airstream used up all of thier good ideas on this coach and were plumb exhausted when it came to the step. If you do get it working you will find that even when fully extended it will not be enough to safely exit and enter; plus the wobble gives new meaning to word tipsy. I am investigating replacing mine with a sturdy two step electric. In fact I was at the dealer yesterday with the coach and they took measurments.
I am certain you will learn to love your 280 as we have ours.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Chaplin Kent, please keep me posted on your step progress. My husband checked what he could on the step but so far, nothing. I would love to know what you replace yours with.

My motorhome is growing on me everyday. I was really discouraged the night before last when everything we touched seemed to go wrong, but Smily helped me with my generator problem and last night things seemed to come together. I am headed out today for my first couple overnights. I am meeting Smily and family at a small campground on the lake where I can hook everything up and give it the real test. I am looking forward to it. Cross your fingers. If things go well, I will head to Talladega in it next week for almost a week of dry camping. I guess that will be the true test!

Thanks for the help.

Sandi
Old 09-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I will be riding with you in spirit. You are fortunate to have Smiley close by for the shake down outing. Our Chummy always behaves well for us but leaves just enough for me to stay busy fixing things when we get home. He is the perfect coach.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
step replacement

Hi,
I'm don't know what the dimensions of your step are but......we just replaced the single step setup on our 03 Safari with the two step version that the factory is putting on the new ones. Works great!
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
The step is fixed!

We have returned from our maiden voyage and yes, Chaplin Kent, we are extremely fortunate to be near Smily. We camped at a great spot right on the lake, the weather was great, and Smily did it again!

Smily fixed my step first. It was a leak in the vacuum. He examined it for a while and then said he had figured it out. Sure enough, a few minutes later he had it working. Next on the list was the leveling jacks. After a few minutes of trouble shooting he traced the problem to a blown fuse and now they work!!! That was yesterday. He also had time to cook a few meals, take the kids and my husband out in the boat, have a few beverages, and visit with several friends that came by. What a guy!!!

Then this morning, he fixed my signal lights and then made my remote switch on the generator work, all before lunch. This goes to show what wonderful people have airstreams and how lucky we are to have these forums and good friends like Smily. I hope he knows how much I appreciate his help.

With the weekend behind me and most everything in order thanks to Ken, I plan to head to Talladega in the motorhome this week. And it may have a name by the time I return (where did the name Chummy come from?). Or maybe Talladega might not be the best place to come up with a name.

Anyway, thanks again to Smily for all his help. I really do appreciate you.

Sandi
Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Vacuum Leak

The steps were not working because there was a leak in the Vacuum system up the line.

The leak was under the dog house. Reconnected the leaking hose and the system was tight enough to "collapse" the tubing going to the diverter solenoid.

Glad to be of help and I learned a thing or two along the way.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote