Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Gardnerville , Nevada
Newbie needs a windshield

Hello all,

My wife and I are brand new owners of a 1992 Classic 350 LE. It had/has quite a few small problems that we have been working on. You know; minor wiring issues, small water leaks, fuel leak... Anyway, we also need a passenger side windshield, since the one it currently has is cracked.

I would like to hear from anyone that has replaced one of these windshields. Is Airstream Supply the only place to purchase them? Wow, they are expensive if that is the only source. Where is the best place to get them replaced? Should I just go to an RV/motorhome repair shop? Should I go back to Airstream to do it?

Any thoughts and/or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Eric
eb4strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
They indeed a very expensive
as far as I know airstream supply is the only place to get them and the seals for them
both of my 345 airstream windshields have large cracks in them
I never have $2000 laying around to fix them.
money is always gone to the smaller projects (heater 1, heater2, at least 6 other window issues, steering, suspension, tag axle issues, fuel starvation, almost everything electrical, etc.)
luckily for me they have not completely shattered and I have not received any tickets for them... yet
I have done some research on this form another post any say use a RV shop. some say a truck repair shop should be able to do a good job. I will be watching this post with great interest as I am also in desperate need of “economical” windshield replacement
I even once went looked at a very run down 310 motorhome it was selling for $3000 and I figured it had at least $8000 in parts but one of the windshield had a crack in it, the entry door did not work the engine cover was cracked and it was missing one of the two bumpers I needed[emoji34].
Again if I had $3000 laying around I probably would’ve bought it for the parts but if I don’t have $2000 to spend $3000 is just a dream. Again I hope someone with more knowledge and a better idea adds to this post.
On another note I am a big fan of the cable TV show wheeler dealers they recently did a car that needed a windshield. They went to a place (I think in California) where they can take a windshield from another car and cut it to make the windshield you need... HOWEVER the donor windshield needed to have the same radius bend on it, and I doubt anything has the Bends in it that we would need.
Also on this forum some people mention I think it was the GM motorhome had a windshield very similar but as I remember nobody was quite sure if it would work, it’s price, or if it Even still exists.[emoji19]
I wish I was of more help to you
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
When we bought our 310 seven years ago one of the windshields was cracked. I called the toll free number of one of the first auto glass places that popped up on the web, and they ended up sending someone to replace the windshield while the coach was sitting in my in laws driveway. The reused the original gasket and did kind of a sloppy job of caulking around it, but the glass is still fine and no leaks. Total cost was about $1K.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Beware if you only do one half, you will likely end up with different shading colors in the sun visor area. If they do not do a proper job prepping and sealing the old gasket, you will have leaks and you can ruin your glass with fogging from water getting between the layers.

My road side is very fogged in the lower inner corner from water leaks. I have insurance with full glass coverage but I dont know if that would be covered because it is only ugly and not interfering with driver viability .
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
They are available from Airstream new, who get them from Coach Glass. The list price is just the start, add $300 to ship, $300 for the gasket (you needed a special tool to extract and insert the locking bead) plus fitting and a pair of new windscreens easily runs $3000 plus. I say a pair as per Wayne’s reply there have been at least 4 different colour tints (turquoise, light blue, dark blue and gray) and if you do one side they probably won’t match and the odds are the original side will have some fogging which sticks out like a sore thumb when the new one is fitted!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Is it possible to buy direct from coach glass?
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
You might want to try Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City. I believe they have windshields for around 850.00
Silver Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I need both mine replaced. In edmonton Alberta. I phoned 5 places only 2 phoned me back with a quote. Other 3 places had various excuses. One place $4750 ( this is for mobile service) they offered $200 discount if I drove to another city 120 miles away each direction)the other was over $6000. These are from reputable companies with multiple locations also.
2 pieces of glass new gasket installed( all this is in Canadian dollars also......)

I only wish I lived stateside to get your deals lol

I may make a road trip one of these years to Oregon to save 1g
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Is it possible to buy direct from coach glass?
I tried to contact them and ask but couldn't even get a response.

Here is the ID tag with the Coach Glass number if anyone wants to try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-24 13.41.38_edit.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	298050

This is for the gray (sorry grey, I have to start re-learning English now I am back this side of the pond!) tint across the top
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Interesting thread as I will need both glasses replaced at some point... drivers side is cracked and passenger is fogging from the bottom up...

I actually found a new, unused seal on ebay a few years back... nobody else bid on it and I think I got it for $50 or so!

I just heard from SteSpot, who just cracked a windshield on her 24' and here is what she said....
"RV Glass Solutions has it in Oregon....$554 for the glass, $234 to ship"
They say its an "Argosy" Windshield...

Anyone know if its the same, or comment on that price? Shipping was to California...
Old 11-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
http://airstreamsupply.com/Airstream...dshield-gasket
Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Price seems low from me phoning around....

I'm going to look into it. I heard that argosy/ airstream windsheilds are the same is this true?

I'm probably getting my hopes up, I'll be driving to Oregon 2018 for new screens if I can get installed at rv solutions without paying for shipping.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Okay excellent news!!!!!

I called rv glass solutions and confirmed a 81 argosy/ airstream windscreen is

$544 per side
$336 gasket
$60 urethane kit
$650 labour
----------------------
$2134 total.

This is obviously today's price, price can change etc etc.

I made the mistake initially calling mine a classic? Only thing that came up in their system was a 1990??( I thought this was the same size as 82?) or is it wide body?

Well I'm recording the price here anyways. 41" high. 53"wide.

$427 per side other costs are the same

The lady I spoke to gave me a bit of detail. They make the glass, they supply coach. It is thicker and stronger than guardian brand( original). Also cross strength, radius, something for how it's made is better. Only colour they offer is blue tint. They need 1.5 days to install(. 1/2 install, 24 hr cure). If you go to coburg, Oregon obviously no shipping. On the website they list Arizona and Florida as other warehouses so check into it as a drive to one of these locations can save you money

As for myself cheapest quote I could find locally was $4750cad. In Oregon its$2750cad. It's a 1100 mile one way trip. I'm going to try to do this next year make a mini vacation out of it. I'll probably spent the $5g still but some of that will be bonding time with my girl and a couple good friends with good food and drinks in Oregon