Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
SteSpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
They gave me a temp license that is good until Jan 31, 2012......so things are moving along. Thanks for the sites. paula
Hmmm, temp tags good for 3 months. So, thinking of your 1st camping trip yet???
Good luck, Happy Thanksgiving!
Derek[/QUOTE]

Don't forget we still have SteSpot....which is our first love and she is ready for our next rally the first weekend in December. Unlike when we were waiting for SteSpot to be finished, we have another rig to take.......so we are in no hurry.....well, maybe that is not true but getting an air pump has us on hold right now.....and I am practicing patience.

By the way, I appreciate the long temp time.....I was surprised at how smoothly the DMV visit went.....of course, I have to return with the vehicle and the smog test.....

Happy Thanksgiving to you. p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Paula,
The rules in California to Pass Smog are twofold...
First you must have all of the ORIGINAL Emissions Equipment that was fitted for the year of your M/H. There are 2 levels... California and Federal, but you only need the equipment originally fitted. So, A Federal Emissions being tested in CA only needs Federal, not CA equipment.
Second the Motor must pass the exhaust sniffer test, at whatever level you County designates..

As I promised, here is the smog equipment page for the 82...
Federal is last box in the 82 section...

So to clarify, to pass the VISUAL part of the smog test, your M/H needs to have:

1/ Engine timing set and tested at 4deg @700rpm.
2/ PCV Valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve).
3/ ACL (Thermostatic Air Cleaner)
4/ AIS (Air Injection System), Smog Pump, Diverter Valves, and Air Injection Pipes on Exhaust Manifolds.
5/ SPK (Spark Control)

This is the Smog Pump I got for my 84, which I believe to be correct, so I think yours will look similar..

Here is what I believe to be the whole AIS setup...
Pump, brackets, Valves and Air Injection tubes for the Exhaust Manifolds...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FWIW for future reference...registration in Montana is relatively easy, cheap, and I'm not aware of any smog restrictions...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
It's sad that the early airpumps were required to burn off excess fuel. The excess fuel (richer mixture) and lower compression ratio lower combustion temperatures. The lower combustion temperatures were required to reduce the NOx levels at the expense of performance and fuel economy. Removal of the smog equipment became common to get back to the performance and MPG of the origional 500 hp 454. The early 80 were the worst of the worst in smog equipment.

If it were my coach I'd retrofit the latest EFI 454 I could find into it. I realize that is beyound the scope of the average camper and most have to settle with restoring the origional smog gear to keep some bureaucrat with a clipboard and checklist happy.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Agreed, Dakota.
Its not an ideal situation, but one Paula, I and others have to live with for the short term.
I actually have a complete engine, with TBI system in my storage from a 1990 Suburaban from exhausts, to air filter. Also have the Computer, and wiring harness. I could put that on if I want or need to.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
The Chevy techs told me that one reason that the 454's run so hot is because it was a way to lower emissions. Higher temps meant fewer unburnt hydrocarbons and the air pump worked better. Unfortunately it meant that MPG went down because the fuel was converted to heat energy instead of horsepower. "I'm from Washington and I'm here to help".
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #187
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
My understanding is that the primary concern back in the 80 was NOx which is a product of high combustion temp/pressure. Air is injected into the heads and exhaust manifold to burn off the excess hydrocarbons. That causes a lot of extra heat that isn't doing anyone any good. Except those selling gas.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #188
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I wish AS had better files, the folks we met in Cali (I don't think they're on the forum) had a 24, but it was a converted hearse, of which they told me, AS made a few of them. Maybe someone went out of the "last ride" biz and had yours converted to a conventional?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #189
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I wish AS had better files, the folks we met in Cali (I don't think they're on the forum) had a 24, but it was a converted hearse, of which they told me, AS made a few of them. Maybe someone went out of the "last ride" biz and had yours converted to a conventional?
That's sorta creepy! I would think it would have had a big door somewhere.

http://www.viewrvs.com/a/airstream/1...4_hearse_b.php
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #190
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
That's sorta creepy! I would think it would have had a big door somewhere.
It did, the whole stern opened-up in a big clamshell rear "exit" door.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #191
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Don't think ours was a hearse

We have a molded shower in the rear bath......pretty sure it is original.....with the central vac and all.....doubt a hearse would have had that.....

will keep you posted on the smog saga....thanks for all the information.....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
wondering, since my '89 has the TBI 454 motor, I'm still running at about 220 water temp. Doesn't seem like it's running hot though. Not sure about mileage, I'm still getting used to driving something that's 3 times larger than my daily driver. Took a neighbor's visiting family member out for a spin today after work. Guess I made a 'convert' to Airstream. His grin was even sillier looking than mine......
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Ours is a peanut

compared to your 34.5.......got a personalized plate....82 Ste P (1982 Suite P (for Paula).....Sweet P was taken as was Suite P but the 82 will tell everyone the year so that is really better anyway.....of course, I don't have her licensed other than the temp......but I am counting on it.....getting her smogged that is.....happy thanksgiving everyone. p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
wondering, since my '89 has the TBI 454 motor, I'm still running at about 220 water temp. Doesn't seem like it's running hot though. Not sure about mileage, I'm still getting used to driving something that's 3 times larger than my daily driver. Took a neighbor's visiting family member out for a spin today after work. Guess I made a 'convert' to Airstream. His grin was even sillier looking than mine......
Derek,

I used to worry that mine ran between 215 and 220, I noticed that my 2008 Silverado runs at the same temp. I also don't take these old gauges as gospel...if it doesn't smell hot, vapor lock when I stop, boil over, or is hard to start after I stop for a short break...it ain't too hot. From what I read here, and other places, it runs hot to help with emissions. Easy for me to say but I wouldn't worry.

Bill
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Bill,
Thanks for responding. Always knew that stock gauges are unreliable at best. Just a generalization. Maybe one day I'll get rid of those and go with something better. Right now, I'd be happy with 9 new tires.....
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #196
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
You guys are right, the stock gauges were junk. I had my buddy measure the temp when we were north, 180 compared to my gauge at 210. Guess what gauge/sending unit gets replaced next?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
. Guess what gauge/sending unit gets replaced next?
Replaced my sending unit and it didn't help, your replacing both with a matched pair might solve the problem. I used ir thermometer to check and the gauge is reading low, when you take the gauge out see if it is possible to change it's reading.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #198
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
New pictures....

Check out the new paint.....called Chevy blue. And getting to the radiator.......stablizer on right side got new bushings and a black paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-07_14-49-46_477.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	146806   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09_14-27-49_304.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	146807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09_14-28-42_868.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	146808  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #199
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Replaced my sending unit and it didn't help, your replacing both with a matched pair might solve the problem. I used ir thermometer to check and the gauge is reading low, when you take the gauge out see if it is possible to change it's reading.
The deal with gauges, as I've found, is to replace EVERYTHING: the sender, the wire and the gauge. Then you're done, have a cold one, and move on to the next gauge. My temp gauge (which I've replaced once, but had problems with) seemed to work fine coming south, so we'll see.The big test will be in the Spring when we pull I-17 from Phoenix up to Flagstaff. The only gauges I've not replaced are the fuel and speedometer. I'm thinking the pyro is going bad, also, but I've had the coach long enough to trust the boost gauge until we get back north in April.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #200
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Progress report

Yesterday I picked up Sweet P and actually drove her to the gas station to buy gas.....the mechanic went with me to give me some driving tips. As we were finishing up a huge oil tanker pulled in right beside me......Mechanic asked if I want him to get us out of there, and I said, no, I need to learn...so he helped me back up to get away from the pump so that I could squeeze through between the pump and tanker and make a left turn in front of a wall......it worked.....so I dropped him off at his shop and I took her to Venice to a friend's house where I pulled into a narrow alley behind his shop.

Okay driving will take some getting used to. I have to remember, I am driving a P30 chassis.....a big truck....that eats gas.....I don't think I went over 30 mph in city traffic and only a few people darted in front of me but I was real careful with my turns not to run over the curbs or swing out to far or not far enough so I don't hit anyone with my tail. She runs great.....and has a lot of pick up.....braking is harder than I am used to but she does stop.

My friend checked a few things.....generator starts but doesn't run (may be needs to have the carbureator cleaned normal for a sitting vehicle). I don't have any propane in the tank so couldn't check water heater, stove, furnace but we did put water in the fresh tank turned on the pump and it leaks.....now to find the fresh water tank.....the owner's manual doesn't tell us and the 1982 service manual doesn't really help much because this is a 24' and the tank is not under the streetside couch as in the 28'....so this is a mystery MH...found it in the back near the bathroom....found the valves....turning them really didn't let us drain the tank.....PO had drilled holes in the floor to allow the leaking water to drain...so my friend sent compressed air from the bottom to clean out the line....so first order of business is to replace those leaky valves and fix the kitchen faucet that is leaking as well....and probably a new water pump.

Also, the horn doesn't work and the gear indicator is gone.....maybe need a rebuilt or new steering wheel and column? Maybe an adjustable one...is that possible? Anyway back to the shop because the gas gauge sender is not working properly.....

She has passed her smog test so now I have to have her VIN verified by a peace officer and go to the DMV to pick up plates...hope to do that tomorrow...let's see, I bought her in Florida the end of October and she was brought to California the middle of November and after a few things like my list below, she is drivable, smog legal in California.....

Rebuild carburetor
6 New tires and painted rims
New front shocks
Rebuild Radiator Assembly with hoses and clamps
Valve cover gaskets
Replaced left manifold and replaced gasket sets
Replaced sway bar bushings
Rebuild heater core/hoses,clamps and cable
Air Pump brackets hoses and belt for smog
A/C retrofit
3 new batteries, cables and terminals
Oil lube and rebuild broken dip stick (not easy)
New head lamps plus assemblies (totally rusted)
Rear differential cover gasket
rear Brake shoes, wheel bearings (inner and outer)
2 new rear air bags
Rear Shocks
New rear view mirrors with a little rework on the existing brackets.......old ones were broken and not easily fixable....still have the old ones.
New gas tank and sender.

So there you go.....shop has promised a detailed list of parts and mfg. so I can share. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593