Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Leaks in AS Motorhomes

Am in the early stages of planning for what will probably be a used AS TT.

However, have been intrigued by some of the MH listings on AS Classifieds and am thinking that is an option.

While obviously a different scenario in many ways, I was wondering if the odds of leaks are the same, more, or less in AS MH homes versus TTs? From the Forums, it seems as if AS TTs do leak with some regularity, though I see debate about whether this is true and if regular resealing will prevent it.

However, what's the typical leak situation with AS MHs?

Thank you.
Harvey Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Harvey,

Yep, the motorhomes leak as well. From what I've experienced the bulk of the leaks are associated with the windows. The quality of the windows in the Argosy and Classic motorhomes are at best poor in my opinion. As production continued the quality of the windows probably improved some but probably not a lot.

The Airstream trailers that I'm familiar with used a totally different type of window arrangement but I can't really comment on whether they leak more or less than motorhomes.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I'm still chasing my leaks but the biggest culprit was the holding tank vents!
There is a seal that goes bad and also the design is horrible... I built a little roof on mine, that shields the vent opening from rain and also the seal from UV degradation...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I totally forgot about the roof vents! Yes they do leak and the trailers will have the same exact issues.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It will depend on what MH you are looking at buying? A Classic aluminum MH; yes, they all leak, and as Brad stated, especially around the windows....see below for the damage that will occur....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

That being said, the damage is far more easily fixed on a Classic motorhome than on a trailer; also because the floor of the motorhome is not enclosed in foam insulation and bannna wrap below, the damage tends to stay with in the plywood subfloor and doesn't affect the framework, as most moisture is stopped by the aluminum or galvanized sheet over the framework.

I'll add a couple more leak areas; bottom of the spot lamp and marker lamps.

If you can, get the motorhome, 310 is the perfect length and layout, in a turbo diesel. Just saying.

If you're talking about a fibreglass motorhome.....goodluck, now you're talking a whole new kettle of dog doo. Be very, very careful. There are many buyers that came to the realization that not just the subfloor was rotten, but the walls and roof too. In a Classic, it's just the sub floor.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Sounds like some leaks!

Windows, roof vents, holding tank vents?, exterior lights. That's a lot of areas to watch out for, but I guess it's easier to patch the floors?

I wonder if (either trailer or MH) if it's better to have the raw aluminum interior rather than various ceiling and wall coverings many have? Obviously cabinets will cover the walls, but for the rest of the areas I wonder if one would see the leaks faster with no wall or ceiling coverings?

However, I am guessing that on many trailers and MHs, they run electrical behind the ceiling and wall coverings?

I have looked at Classic MHs. Here is one example of one I have checked repeatedly. Is this a Classic?

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...35-michigan-3/

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yes, that is a Classic.
Looks nice but it's ALL about the condition.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Should have looked more closely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Yes, that is a Classic.
Looks nice but it's ALL about the condition.
The photo of the front driver side shows the label "Airstream Classic."
Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we installed a 3M leak detector. it is a water sensitive cable that you place on the floor. if water touches it, it raises an alarms. many firms make them
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote