Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Hey Gunner thats a stout looking vette, and. Beautiful / unusual color.
I like it. Is it a big block engine.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #42
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I'm thinking of heading to the South East in late winter for visits with family and I'm still hunting for a sweet spot for a base camp . Austin will most likely be on my route. I'll check ahead to make sure you are not booked up. :-)
Cheers Richard
Always room for you, Richard
I recently drove my 310 in the backyard and was able turn it around without too much trouble. So if push comes to shove, we'll set you up a nice camp spot back there.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Great Peter, so looking forward to seeing you both again, and catching up.
I'm a bit embarrassed not to have gotten to the clear coat yet.
But good progress on mechanical and domestic systems so far.

Maybe a swing by your place will stimulate some action on the cosmetics.
Your work is inspiring.

I'll let you know as my plans flesh out.

Cheers Richard
Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
SebasSF, I would LOVE to find a diesel classic. That would be the holy grail for me. I'll cut my teeth on the rigs that I own now until a diesel comes around that is not priced sky high. My '99 diesel Cutter drives like a dream, and has a beautiful interior, I just do not like the same-as-everybody-else exterior.

Isuzusweet, I feel the pull into the asylum! This is how I do things though, get into something and fall deeply. I got into Porsche 968's, and now I've owned 5 of them! I whittled it down to one uber rare, magnificently dialed-in example. I had amazing help, and made great friends through the 968 forums. I am looking forward a similar situation here. Thank you for allowing to lean on you and the "crew" during my journey.
LoL, Ryker you call it your Holy Grail and I call the '95 Cutter Classic DP my unicorn I'll find the right one some day....there was that gorgeous one in Florida, but as a designer and house flipper, I just can't pay for someone else's elbow grease...but, considering I heard from someone that they maybe made 25 that year in total...I may have to go against my rule...
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:28 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Old Porsche and classic motorhome, what a combo !

Cheers Richard
Hey, that's an Airforum member!! I unfortunately can't remember his SN but I know I read an entire thread dedicated to making his Porsche his toad. I have a garage of classic cars I inherited....a '53 corvette I'd love to drive but I literally get sick to my stomach when it's trailered to car shows (haven't taken it to one in a while) and a warehouse full of Cadillacs and Lincolns in all different states of restoration...and not so restored (apparently in the South when you made it you bought a Cadillac or Lincoln...but my grandparents, bless their hearts, never traded in their old ones) but my favourite ant the one I'm definitely going to ship it out here soon is the '59 Eldorado convertible. God I've loved that car since I was just a boy. I think I've definitely noticed a correlation between AS owners and car enthusiasts...but I may be wrong...you couldn't get my grandmother in moho to save her life....I heard stories that my grandfather did try to convince her to buy one after WW2 but she just wasn't having it...omg if only he did (and considering the fact they never got rid of, or traded in ANYTHING....good lord)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #46
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
Hey, that's an Airforum member!!
I unfortunately can't remember his SN but I know I read an entire thread dedicated to making his Porsche his toad.
That is Richard aka Tevake...

Quote:
I have a garage of classic cars I inherited....a '53 corvette I'd love to drive but I literally get sick to my stomach when it's trailered to car shows (haven't taken it to one in a while) and a warehouse full of Cadillacs and Lincolns in all different states of restoration...and not so restored (apparently in the South when you made it you bought a Cadillac or Lincoln...but my grandparents, bless their hearts, never traded in their old ones) but my favourite ant the one I'm definitely going to ship it out here soon is the '59 Eldorado convertible. God I've loved that car since I was just a boy. I think I've definitely noticed a correlation between AS owners and car enthusiasts...but I may be wrong...you couldn't get my grandmother in moho to save her life....I heard stories that my grandfather did try to convince her to buy one after WW2 but she just wasn't having it...omg if only he did (and considering the fact they never got rid of, or traded in ANYTHING....good lord)
This is the person to know if you into restoring or customizing 50's cars:
My good friend MercuryCharlie in Austin, Texas. His shop is right around the corner from our forum members friend Ben, aka bpg_austin
The Home of Mercury Charlie
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #47
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Quote:
Hey Gunner thats a stout looking vette, and. Beautiful / unusual color.
I like it. Is it a big block engine.

Cheers Richard
It is a number matching built-up small block, approximately 370 HP. It is original color called Mosport Green, only one year color.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I remember a guy on here who built an awesome toy hauler, either from a vintage airstream or Spartan. He was going to carry a 356 Porsche in it.
After a ton of work, and the car was restored, his first trip out the weight shifted and the car was mildly , but sadly wrecked.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
That was a '51 Spartanette. The thread that covered the build was extensive and quite detailed, including the post mortem. I seem to recall that the cause of the accident was either the hitch, or the weight distribution within the trailer. It was eventually listed for sale after being repaired.

BaT Exclusive: 1951 Royal Spartanette Converted Hauler | Bring a Trailer
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Sacramento , California
Quote:
LoL, Ryker you call it your Holy Grail and I call the '95 Cutter Classic DP my unicorn I'll find the right one some day....there was that gorgeous one in Florida, but as a designer and house flipper, I just can't pay for someone else's elbow grease...but, considering I heard from someone that they maybe made 25 that year in total...I may have to go against my rule...
Yeah, I've owned two gassers and with the weight, I believe diesel is the far better choice. Your Land Yacht must be a nice ride. I think they are a step above the Cutter. They sure demand a higher price. I think you're right, the days of finding a deal on the "unicorn" are behind us.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:50 AM   #51
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I've owned two gassers and with the weight, I believe diesel is the far better choice. Your Land Yacht must be a nice ride. I think they are a step above the Cutter. They sure demand a higher price. I think you're right, the days of finding a deal on the "unicorn" are behind us.
A lot of us thought that as well, until this year when two members bought "Unicorns", turbo diesels to boot, one with the G air ride for far less than you would expect. Yes, both coaches need work BUT well inside the capabilities of both members.

Deals can be had but you can't be picky.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
A lot of us thought that as well, until this year when two members bought "Unicorns", turbo diesels to boot, one with the G air ride for far less than you would expect. Yes, both coaches need work BUT well inside the capabilities of both members.

Deals can be had but you can't be picky.

Cheers

Tony

They do pop up when you least expect it. I had given up finding one when a nice one showed up listed on Craig's list as a Classic Diesel Pusher Motorhome. No mention in the title as Airstream.

I found the second searching for a salvage Spartan EC2000 chassis to harvest the Reyco Granning air ride components. One popped up 120 miles south of me.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Well, I finally have someone to pick up my motorhome. I could not get the time off work, so a truck driver buddy of mine picked it up this morning. We may have a problem though because the temp gauge is close to the red. The electric fans kick on right when it hits the red and brings the temp down just a little, then they turn off. Is this another case of needing a new radiator? Or maybe re core the radiator? Problem is he took this weekend off to drive it to California. Is this too risky? He has only driven it from Savannah to Atlanta so far, and current ambient temp is only 85 degrees. What's going to happen when he is going up a grade in 100 degrees?

He is going to try jumping the electric fans so that they run continuously but I'm wondering if this will be enough.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ryker, you definitely want him to hot wire those fans so they run all the time. Also have him get the fan clutch checked to see if it's working. If not get it replaced before he drives to much farther.

I'm assuming he's checked the coolant level as well......

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Thanks, Brad. Checked the fan clutch and it was bad. Installing a new one tomorrow morning. Replacing the thermostat and flushing the coolant for good measure as well. If it is running cool, would you still jump the fans to run full time, or leave them be?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'd base the decision on what to do with the electric fans on how the temperature does. If it still runs hot then hot wire the fans to run all the time until he gets to CA.

The last thing you want is to overheat the engine. Right now the odds are the engine is ok and the cooling system is the only issue. But if you overheat the engine then you're going to have to deal with the cooling system AND the over heated engine. I'll guarantee you an overheated engine is not fun to deal with and not cheap either.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #57
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Ryker

Call me wak but doesn't the 360 have a problem with dust/oil and crap clogging up the A/C condenser/radiator. I think you need to give Kota a PM and he'll go throught it with you on how to flush out the CAC. I know I saw Kota discuss it on a thread somewhere.

FOUND IT!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ng-134758.html

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Good work, tony.
That was exactly what I thought should be brought up for consideration.
The question now is can the driver do anything about this lkely issue.
Can a hose run down thru the gap do any good at flushing enough clogage out to help.

Certainly worth a try I guess.

It will be interesting to hear Kota's take on it.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #59
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I believe the unit being driven to California is a gas engine not diesel.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Yes, mine is gas