Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
Air compressor

While someone was looking at water pump, he noticed that one of the electrical lines to the air compressor was not attached. He reattached it.

I looked at my dash control and there is no air pressure. MH has been stored for the winter and someone told me when bought and inspected there was a slow leak to one of the bags. Should I first try putting in air via port which seems to be inside the rear storage compartment?

I did have key engaged as per manual. I've reset breakers. What to do? Help appreciated as always... trying to get on the road!
silverdream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Is the compressor running at all? If so it will take much longer than you might think to build pressure. The factory compressor does not have a high output at all.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
There is an in-line fuse (somewhere) for the compressor, besides the main fuse. The question is, what blew the fuse?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
The compressor looks fairly new; I'm guessing it was replaced. When I turn on the engine I do hear a noise back there (it's under the bed, so helpful), anyway... As I said, it sat all winter and if there was a slow leak, I'm guessing the bags would be empty.

Is the solution to go to a tire air pump and try to get it to the valve in the outside compartment?

It's also possible the gauge on the dash is not working; it's not where it is "supposed to be" re: owner's manual and there are a bunch of wires hanging down beneath.

If I drive without air suspension I'm guessing it's a bad thing as I already have new tag axle et al and replacing it was expensive.

????
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
Oh, and I'm in one of those places where the word RV scares the **** out of all the mechanics.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream2 View Post
Oh, and I'm in one of those places where the word RV scares the **** out of all the mechanics.
Tire pump is not going to get it. Go to your local tire store and get 90 psi in it. I've seen other 345s with a external air fill, and like our compressor (which is the second) wondered about the crappy under-sized compressors/ poor design AS used. Vinnie put a pretty cool compressor in the Tin Crumpet, which I believe went to 125 psi, which is what those bags need (no offense Lily), maybe he'll climb in.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
The water pump is next to the compressor and has a 30amp breaker. You can jump it from there to see if your compressor is working and pump up your bags to get the rig somewhere it can get fixed.

One more thing if you try this disconnect the wire going to the key (at the Compressor not at the key) as it will backfeed the accessories and you will have all sorts of problems. The water pump is fed by the house and the compressor is fed by the starting batt.
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
The original compressors draw a lot of amps through the ignition switch, fuse block and long wire runs. The tank also collects water and needs to be drained frequently. Also check the check valve on the output side of the compressor. They can get stuck and cause trouble.

I installed one of these VIAIR Corporation - 450C IG Part No. 45050 45058. It's a nicely built unit and I like the 100% duty cycle at 100 psi. I installed a relay near the batteries with a 10 gauge wire to the compressor. I operate the relay from the original wire from the dash. Gets lots of amps to the compressor with minimum load through the ignition circuit.

My 280 runs with about 72 psi. in the bags at normal ride height and load. I set the pressure switch to keep the tank at 100 psi. I figure this set up will out live me.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Cheers, Dan
Thanks for the link, Dan. Now get moving on your trip and post lots of pics!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup.. Dan, AirRowan and Mikeys advice is good. If you can find the air fitting on the accumulator tank you can manually fill the bags until they begin to lift the coach but dont exceed 75 lbs just in case. Then watch and see what happens. Maybe the air will leak out at one of the bags or an airline fitting. Should be pretty easy to determine. If it holds then maybe its time for a new pump. Good luck!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air compressor, suspension, tag axle