Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Tulsa , Oklahoma
What was that saying about "the road paved w/good intentions"???

Yep,

I'm hearing what you're saying - and that's about spot on. However, I was thinking the bathroom would be a good initial add-on. It seems like I could charge .25 cents to use the head at the BBQ Competition or a homegame and I'd be rich after the first weekend... Seriously, I know this would be a major undertaking but it does seem to have some pretty significant benefits...

My most pressing goals are to have the tires/brakes checked out, fix the floor and install nice flooring, install driver and passenger chair and get a workable/interim generator solution. At least I would be mobile and could begin to use it (as you mentioned w/some temporary furniture).

You are exactly right about the software analogy... I feel like we just kicked off a simple "internal project" to rebuild the company's legacy billing system as a custom, web-based, ERP. That first meeting is really exciting and there is no end to the possibility of what this thing could become/do. Then, you start the requirements gathering phase - reality hits you like a freight train. But, you've already committed to the vision and now you have to gut through it and deliver...

Thanks for the honest feedback!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2it
My most pressing goals are to have the tires/brakes checked out,
Before we made the first trip on our 1984 310 we decided to replace the rubber brake lines because they looked so dry and brittle. It was well worth doing but I think it pointed out the next weakest link in the braking system, the master cylinder. During the return trip Susan was driving and mentioned that the brakes were feeling kinda spongy. We stopped at a Wal-Mart and found that the master cylinder was now leaking out the front seal.

Not really sure what caused it to start leaking all of a sudden but possibly the braking system was generating slightly more pressure because the rubber lines were no longer expanding like they used too. My suggestion to you is if you're going to go through the brakes be sure and rebuild or replace the master cylinder. It doesn't take much to get the Moho to go fast but slowing down is a whole different matter.

Good luck with your project, I'm looking forward to reading your progress reports.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Being able to stop is also a priority...

Good point bkahler on the master cylinder and brake lines. I have every service ticket on the Beast since the day they ordered it from AS. I also have access to the guy who was in charge of motor vehicle maintenance (this was his baby). So I can call and ask him & or check to see what service work was done on brake lines, master cylinder, etc.

Interesting side note. The guy who maintained this is a gear-head junkie. He was explaining to me how he "upgraded" the transmission and the front-end about 1,500 miles ago. Said he put in a super-overhead-turbo-cam-rocket fuel-nuclear bomb proof transmission (the same kind he uses on his drag car). The acronym-intensive, descriptive list of parts for the front-end rebuild was even more impressive. He claims he spent about $9,000 on this refurb.

He also went on to say that he intended to buy the Beast when she was "surplused" - but they banned him from buying vehicles. He wanted to buy her for the motor and tranny (apparently they would be good components for a drag car).

Apparently, he had purchased several other "beaters" (old flat bed pickups, panel vans, etc.) that the general public didn't appreciate (because they weren't aware of the thousands of dollars in high-end parts/modifications)...

Hmmm... The best laid plans of mice and men...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow! Having those kind of records and access to the person that did the work is great. In looking over our Argosy and the 310 I often wonder what was the PO thinking when they did the modifications or repairs.

The front suspension on our 310 is one of the immediate things I had to deal with when we first got it. On our way home after purchasing it we hit some strong cross winds in Arkansas and couldn't keep it in our lane. THAT was an eye opening experience

You're on the right path though, make sure all the mechanicals are right before tackling much of the interior.

Good luck!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2it
Interesting side note. The guy who maintained this is a gear-head junkie. He was explaining to me how he "upgraded" the transmission and the front-end about 1,500 miles ago. Said he put in a super-overhead-turbo-cam-rocket fuel-nuclear bomb proof transmission (the same kind he uses on his drag car). The acronym-intensive, descriptive list of parts for the front-end rebuild was even more impressive. He claims he spent about $9,000 on this refurb.
This really applies to all the other owners out there. I have been spending a lot of time in transmission shops lately getting figures for either a transmission swap or rear end swap and found that AS did a good job at beefing up our transmissions from the standard P-30 transmissions that were being used. That may account for the low number of threads on transmission problems.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #62
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Chaplain Kent,
That's interesting to read. Have the shops given you any info on what AS did to improve the transmissions? I often think about mine when cresting a hill, towing my car, loaded to the nines with a week of gear on board and it makes me imagine spinning, whirring metal on metal - scary. It would be nice to know more about what was done to our rigs.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Frisco , Texas
Have done it, you can too.

I started with a 1985 345 classic which, like your unit, was built by the specialty vehicles group. Had no plumping, water, windows, cabinets.....the list is long. The original rebuild took about 3 years and $4K to replace mostly airstream parts. I will post before and after pictures for you if interested.