Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
6.5kw onan generator

Yesterday, I tried to exercise the onan which I have been doing every weekend throughout the winter. I turned on both the overhead a/c units to the heat setting. It seems it would start surging after a while. However, when I turned off one of the units it would be allright. I had got a new carburator last summer and the gernerator would run fine. At that time I had tried to set up the governor tensioner per the manual. I was curious as to just how many amps the heat strip a/c units draw? I just wanted to make sure that Nancy is capable of running both heaters at once, before I start to adjust on the governor of my Onan. Anybody know this?
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
JaG,

If your genset is 6.5k or larger you should have no trouble running both heat strips or both A/C units at the same time.

Heat strips would actually be easier on the genset because there would be no starting surge like an A/C compressor has. I'm betting your problem is the carb might be slightly gummed up. When you were starting it up each week did you apply a load to the genset? Its my understanding that you should apply a load to the genset while test running to help keep the moisture out of the windings, etc.

By the way I was told by the local Kohler generator repair shop that the best way to run two air conditioners at the same time from the generator is to have one set to FULL cool so it runs all the time and use the other air conditioner to modulate the temperature in the motorhome. This method keeps from having both air conditioners kick their compressors in at the same time. Its the starting current inrush that bogs down the generators.

Let us know what you find.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
I had a gasket leaking between my carb and air cleaner.... which would cause mine to be somewhat hard to start... i'd have to manually hold the choke and it would surge here and there, after i fixed that and put a new plug, filters, and fluids, and ran some of the onan fuel stabilizer in there it works fine now. Doubt this would be your problem but if you haven't used any of the stabilizer/cleaner it might be worth a shot in case you are gummed up. I'm sure your switch is seat to the rear air also right?? Since i doubt it'd even turn on without that.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
I'm sure your switch is seat to the rear air also right?? Since i doubt it'd even turn on without that.
In theory once the generator is running the rear air conditioner should run if you turn it on no matter what position the front rotary selector switch is in. When the generator starts there is a transfer relay that ties the rear air conditioner directly to a separate circuit from the generator. This is supposed to allow you to run both air conditioners at the same time while running on the generator.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
Thanks for the replies. I believe mine is missing the gasket that goes inbetween the air filter tubing and the carb. I need to replace it. I will check to see if that fixes the problem when I can get a gasket or make one.
- I did apply a load each time to the genset when I was exercising it.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I hope that fixes the problem for you.

A while back I yanked the 7kw Kohler out of our 310 and had a lot of work done on it. After I reinstalled it it seemed to start fine however when my wife took the motorhome up to Airstream of Arkansas for some leak checking she couldn't get the generator to start. So now I get to try and figure out why.

If it isn't one thing its another......

Brad
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
I hear ya Brad. There does seem to always be some little issue that is needing tweaked on in these older airstreams. But I enjoy working on it most of the time. In fact I had the backing on a couple of original dinette cushions replaced just the other day. I am psyched up to go camping badly. I probably won't get to working on the generator until I get back from a family vacation. And no, we don't get to take Nancy, cos she wouldn't fit on the plane we are taking overseas.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
If your generator is the same is mine, which is a 6.5kw onan emerald series... there should only be 2 bolts which the tubing into the carb part, maybe if you have an owners manual you can find the part # for this gasket, i talked to my local rv shop and he said the gaskets are cheap but shipping and such makes them more exspensive, so i went to napa and purchased a small sheet of gasket material and cut my own.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Gasket

It's kinda hard to believe that a bad gasket between the air filter and the carb would cause much of a problem....other than allowing the carb to suck unfiltered air. Now a bad gasket after the carb... that would lean out the gas mixture (I think)
Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Yeah i didnt think so either, but i guess being so close to the carb it was messing up the air ratio....??? but maybe then again it could have been wierd coincidence but i have ran it about 5 times since then, and it starts like a dream, and before was a pain to start. It never really ran bad however.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We put a load(Margarita machine) on our 6.5 and had CLOUDS of smoke issue forth...there was gas in the crankcase...a new carb and oil/filter change fixed it, but it was a $484 repair...gotta learn how to do this stuff myself. Apparently, there is a gasket between the carb and oil...??? Still get the occasional surges, but they seem to clear after about 5 minutes...sometimes, I have to shut down the gen and restart to get rid of the surge.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
The oil and filter change is pretty simple, not sure what year your model is but should on the very bottom have an oil filler cap, and below that should have a metal tube which drains towards the ground and at the end of this there should be a valve which when loosened drains the oil. It should take probably around 4qts of oil, that will be the highest priced parts as if you get the onan oil they are kinda pricey. The air filter only has 1 bolt which holds it in on the right side, and the box assembly slides off and filter pops out. a new plug and fuel filter(s) probably wouldnt hurt as well.