Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
icc lights

We have just been into the dash reparing our clearance/ icc lights. we had to buy a new light switch as the clearance lights wouldn't burn. our icc switch will work when the parking or headlights are on. It is not necessary to have key on or motor running. Lights should be connected direct to a hot wire not thru a keyed power. Icc light switch is a kill switch in line to clearance lights on our unit . The icc switch is a spring loaded switch that is connected in line to the clearance lights only. when you mash the icc switch it breaks the power to the clearance lights and they stay off until you release the switch and the spring returns power. The older semi's had the same type switch. The newer semi's don't have an icc switch.

My husband was a trucker for over 40 years. owned and maintained by him so he is very knowledgeable about the operation of lighting systems.

Blinking lights may be illegal, but it is a common courtesy of the road to signal room to pull back in or to say thanks to another driver for letting you know that it the way is safe to go ahead.

when we got our first rv Roy wouldn't even talk about a motorhome so we got a trailer. After 9 years of pulling a trailer and setting it up he finally decided that a MH would be nice after all. We bought our 83 300 turbo deisel in may 05 and love it.

We are getting it ready to go on a trip to Ark and Okla in July. Most old truckers have what is known as white line fever. Just follow that white line where ever it goes. A new place to sleep every night. If money would hold up we would probably full time and be very happy.

White line fever and alluminitis are very expensive problems. Where else can you find a sickness that is so enjoyable? 40+ years trucking and 10+ years seeing the good old USA. nothing better.

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Pat,
Nice job. Electrical issues seem to take on a life of their own on these old coaches. Nice to hear about one that did not require the removal of the nose sheet metal and new coach to frame mounts

I read about this before. Something about liability? Seems like it's still a common practice. I certainly wait until I know I'm clear to pull in front of another large vehicle, but feel like a blink of the lights is a nice way to say "thank you".

I've also found that using your ICC lights in a line of trucks seem to keep driver happier about a motorhome anywhere near them (based on the CB chatter).

First to Pat,

Congratulations on your persistence. I can't imagine why Airstream didn't make a separate switch for your docking lights as they did on mine, but that's not all I don't understand about these units . Anyway, I think you'll find the docking lights to be very useful. Just too bad you have to turn on all your compartment lights at the same time. Want to start another project and put a separate switch just for the docking lights ? In fact, why didn't they put separate switches on all the compartment lights (at the compartments) so you could use only the one(s) you need ?

Now to swebster,

I do courtesy ICC blinks, and have been for over 30 years. I seldom have semis who don't use theirs as well. I have no idea if it's illegal, but I really can't imagine why - if it's true. Anyway, I fully agree that the blinking (both from me and the semis) certainly seems to be met with appreciation.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935
We have just been into the dash reparing our clearance/ icc lights. we had to buy a new light switch as the clearance lights wouldn't burn. our icc switch will work when the parking or headlights are on. It is not necessary to have key on or motor running. Lights should be connected direct to a hot wire not thru a keyed power. Icc light switch is a kill switch in line to clearance lights on our unit . The icc switch is a spring loaded switch that is connected in line to the clearance lights only. when you mash the icc switch it breaks the power to the clearance lights and they stay off until you release the switch and the spring returns power. The older semi's had the same type switch. The newer semi's don't have an icc switch.

My husband was a trucker for over 40 years. owned and maintained by him so he is very knowledgeable about the operation of lighting systems.

Blinking lights may be illegal, but it is a common courtesy of the road to signal room to pull back in or to say thanks to another driver for letting you know that it the way is safe to go ahead.

Kay and Roy
Kay and Roy,

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this. My ICC switch works just like yours, with the exception that I have to have the engine running. Not a problem, but most likely something a previous owner did while working on something . When I first tested it to see if I could help flash I was very surprised the engine actually had to be running. Very strange, but that's not at all unusual with my unit, as I can also tell is true for everyone else who owns one of these units .
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Kay and Roy - I'm with Tim, great story, thanks for sharing it
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote