Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
Supposedly we can get up to 800 reliable horsepower and gobs of torque out of a big block. Hmmm. Eventual engine demise suddenly not feeling terminal.
Please remember that getting hp is like a bell curve; yes, the old vintage 454 is on the low end of engine efficiency and the 502 is miles ahead of it; but getting even more hp is at some point going to require more fuel and getting 800 hp is going to demand a lot of fuel.

HP is all about compromise; how much are you willing to spend in fuel to get it.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Thanks Tony. I don't want to lead this thread too far afield but I think my mileage has improved along with a significant improvement in horsepower. I have never figured out my mileage but it went from really bad to pretty bad. Gearing is still the big limitation preventing better fuel economy. The 502 moves it along very nicely and isn't working as hard as the 454 was. If I was worried about fuel economy I wouldn't be driving around in a 32' dinosaur.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Not a problem Brad, I'll trade you for that other PITA Argosy thats just taking up space in your garage and time away from your own coach. One word of caution, she is high maintenance and knows how to fight back; a talisman of sorts against Airstream Gods.

Cheers
Tony
Hmm, Martin's back in England right now. If you can show up with a 22' trailer we might be able to work something out

One question, is she a good cook?
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #18
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Hmm, Martin's back in England right now. If you can show up with a 22' trailer we might be able to work something out

I was resisting raising to the bait....but the insurance is up to date on Peanut in case he goes missing!!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Don't worry about Martin, Brad as the slave trade is probably still legal in the old laws in whatever "shire" he lives in; however if he comes back to the your neck of the woods looking for Peanut, just tell the local 50 he traded a peanut for the girl and demanded you fixed both up before he got back. I'm sure his insurance would love to pay out for that; after he gets out.

As for fixing up, yes that would entail cooking lessons as I've never seen her cook but remember, domestication may take the wildness out of her if she could cook her own food and reduce her effectness as a talisman against the Airstream Gods.

If you've ever watched The Game of Thrones, she would be considered a "Wildling".

What an epic thread hijack.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Don't worry about Martin, Brad as the slave trade is probably still legal in the old laws in whatever "shire" he lives in; however if he comes back to the your neck of the woods looking for Peanut, just tell the local 50 he traded a peanut for the girl and demanded you fixed both up before he got back. I'm sure his insurance would love to pay out for that; after he gets out.

As for fixing up, yes that would entail cooking lessons as I've never seen her cook but remember, domestication may take the wildness out of her if she could cook her own food and reduce her effectness as a talisman against the Airstream Gods.

If you've ever watched The Game of Thrones, she would be considered a "Wildling".

What an epic thread hijack.

Cheers
Tony

Hmm, she sounds like more of a project than I can deal with at this time. Worse, not being able to cook is a real deal breaker for me.....

Martin, it looks like Peanut is safe....for the time being at least

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote