Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #41
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Did you get the VIN Brad - gotta add it to the list.

Not sure who you would put down as the owner though!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Did you get the VIN Brad - gotta add it to the list.

Not sure who you would put down as the owner though!
Already added it. I put it down as owned by Estill County

What surprised me is it's vin is 5315 and Tony's is 5318. The weird part is Tony's is an S (made in California) and this one is a V (made in Ohio).

I find it somewhat hard to believe that Airstream would manufacture motorhomes in two different locations. I think there has to be some other reason why an S was used in place of the V on some Argosies.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #43
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Property Owner

Couldn't you look up the land ownership records in the county seat? GIS records if they are available online would be easy, otherwise, go to the tax office in Estill County to confirm property owner. Possibly use whitepages.com to obtain phone number of property owner.

Doesn't appear to have extensive water damage, which seems unusual to me.

I would love to know the back-story.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #44
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Alternative?

Another option might be to move it back into the woods, rent it to a Kentucky version of Walter White, maybe create a Kentucky version of Breaking Bad.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Couldn't you look up the land ownership records in the county seat? GIS records if they are available online would be easy, otherwise, go to the tax office in Estill County to confirm property owner. Possibly use whitepages.com to obtain phone number of property owner.

Doesn't appear to have extensive water damage, which seems unusual to me.

I would love to know the back-story.
I'm sure there's several things I can do, getting time to do them is more the issue.

I'm going to keep plugging away at it though
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #46
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
My wife seriously wants the front couch. I want the stove/oven and the doghouse upper unit, rear pano windows...............

As much as I'd hate to part it, it doesn't look like a saver to me as it has been parked over grass for too long.

I really do want it for parts. I'd even come down the last week of July and the first week of August to get what we can off her and get rid of the rest.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I'd have trouble believing that Argosy would make two almost identical Argosy motorhomes in two seperate factories. The S must stand for something else.

We could again use my CAA/AAA to pull her off the mountain. They wouldn't know it was a different Argosy.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
My wife seriously wants the front couch. I want the stove/oven and the doghouse upper unit, rear pano windows...............

As much as I'd hate to part it, it doesn't look like a saver to me as it has been parked over grass for too long.

I really do want it for parts. I'd even come down the last week of July and the first week of August to get what we can off her and get rid of the rest.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I'd have trouble believing that Argosy would make two almost identical Argosy motorhomes in two seperate factories. The S must stand for something else.

We could again use my CAA/AAA to pull her off the mountain. They wouldn't know it was a different Argosy.
Tony,

I would think the couch is the typical fold out couch used in a lot of Airstream trailers and motorhomes. If you're looking for an overhead bin I will likely have one out of mine that I'm not going to be using. The bonus is mine seems to be the same style that's in this 24. Currently I have two overheads and will only need one on the drivers side.

I believe I might have a solution to the transportation problem although I don't know what the cost would be although it should be considerably less than what the typical charge is from the towing companies.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Wooster , Ohio
Hi guys,
I think it's waycool that these two Argo's are like twins separated at birth. Without Brad finding "The Last Thing" I probably wouldn't have made the deal with Tony. At least as quickly as it happened...… And of course time was not in favor of the Argo I had. It was like on "Death Row" with Slim to None chance of Pardon (and Slim just left town).

In any event, I have news on my old Argo. I stopped by the Garage it's at the other day and dropped off the TV and bracket I had in it when I owned it. The TV is a perfect size for that RV. Plus it's like a Home Theater for two when you swivel the front seats around. Not watching ? Just tilt it up to the ceiling. Pretty much out the way, if you're not tooo tall.
Good luck on getting the "TLT" Argo "out of the woods"

Don

P.S. I love following this adventure from the comforts of home !
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #49
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Emailed the county Clerk of Estill County, Ms Sherry L Fox and she advises there aren't any online services re: land ownership

So Estill County is somewhere in the late 20th Century tech wise. If you want ownership records, you show up in person.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #50
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
These pictures remind me of the 79 Revcon 31' Camelot I bought before I found our 345.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #51
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Do you need to pano windows as spares, or are yours damaged Tony?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #52
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Do you need to pano windows as spares, or are yours damaged Tony?
Yeah, I just wanted them as spares. I need the front drivers side windshield; hopefully they just pop out as easily as Davejay yipped about. There are a ton of parts on this rig.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS Thanks Don for the TV; I'll be contacting you soon for a little favour as I need to send some stuff to a US address........nothing too big, just a Cummins engine.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
......nothing too big, just a Cummins engine.
Foam or steel......
Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ten bucks if you open that milk jug and take a whiff!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
20 if you take a sip !
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #56
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Foam or steel......
I had an online chat with the conversion fella; yes, he has a forklift and has never had an occasion to need a foam mock up, BUT, in my case does think it could be of value, especially since the real engine could only be installed without the head being on. The foam core would allow us to mount the exhaust, inlet manifolds, and accessories with turbo attached to check for clearances.

Pricey, but fixing something later on because we guessed wrong would be pricey too. Plus working underneath a 1100 pound engine suspended over your head would have a pucker factor involved.

https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...2-valve-p-1230

He stated I could always sell it afterwards. I may keep it for the Cummins install into the 310.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
20 if you take a sip !
Man, this is a tough crowd

If a deal for this Argosy ever goes through I'll save the guzzling honors for Tony
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #58
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Man, this is a tough crowd

If a deal for this Argosy ever goes through I'll save the guzzling honors for Tony
Pretty sure whatever is left, is solid or dust by now. I'll pass though.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I had an online chat with the conversion fella; yes, he has a forklift and has never had an occasion to need a foam mock up, BUT, in my case does think it could be of value, especially since the real engine could only be installed without the head being on. The foam core would allow us to mount the exhaust, inlet manifolds, and accessories with turbo attached to check for clearances.

Pricey, but fixing something later on because we guessed wrong would be pricey too. Plus working underneath a 1100 pound engine suspended over your head would have a pucker factor involved.

https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...2-valve-p-1230

He stated I could always sell it afterwards. I may keep it for the Cummins install into the 310.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
There's no doubt it would save time and easily allow for multiple insert and remove sessions to ensure everything is going to fit the way you want.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the swap process.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Made a little headway today in tracking down the owner. Turns out one side of the road is in Estill county and the other side is in Powell county. Unfortunately neither county seems to think it's in their jurisdiction! I started in Estill county, went to Powell county and ended up back in Estill county. However I think in the end I'll be back in Powell county. I did get to see a lot of the back roads around here

I did manage to get the name of the last registered owner of the Argosy and a 26 year old address. If what I've been able to find on Google is accurate she's about 81 years old now.

I have a couple of old addresses and a couple of phone numbers. This weekend I'll see if the numbers are any good.

It appears I might also have transport arranged, 24' gooseneck with a winch.

Brad