Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #481
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Spring is really coming early this year!

Brad
I guess the dreaded subject of mowing raises it's head then Brad?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #482
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
I had the very same circumstance with my plastic battery box. I used cedar door shims and a little construction adhesive. I think I put a shim at each end of both batteries. Just slide the shims in opposite directions until it is snug and wait for the glue to dry, then trim them off with a utility knife.
Greg,

I was thinking along the lines of some shims as well. I happen to know someone that has a box full of them so I think it's time for a visit

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #483
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I guess the dreaded subject of mowing raises it's head then Brad?
As much as I hate to say it probably within two weeks I'll have to start
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Some days nothing goes according to plan

We planned on installing the left rear banana wrap today after cleaning up a few loose ends on the right front wrap. Holding the banana wrap in place we found this.........
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-lr-banana-wrap-fit.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	280555

Needless to say I don't think Martin would accept a fit like this! This particular wrap came from a 1978 28' Argosy. There is a 1-3/4' difference in length that needs to be made up. So, Ernie's going to have to extend the wrap to get it to fit properly.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll be able to try again.

Brad
Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #485
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Oops; anyone have a ABS fibreglass stretcher handy?

Blossoms on your trees? We're lucky most of the 1 1/2' of snow in my yard melted over the last week. It will come back I fear.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #486
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Some days nothing goes according to plan

We planned on installing the left rear banana wrap today after cleaning up a few loose ends on the right front wrap. Holding the banana wrap in place we found this.........
Attachment 280555

Needless to say I don't think Martin would accept a fit like this! This particular wrap came from a 1978 28' Argosy. There is a 1-3/4' difference in length that needs to be made up. So, Ernie's going to have to extend the wrap to get it to fit properly.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll be able to try again.

Brad
The Airstream 'deities' are probably laughing out loud at that one.

"I know how we can screw with them a little, wait until Ernie has done all the work to repair the busted up wrap, and only when they go to re-fit it let them find out its too short"

....and it's not even April 1st yet
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #487
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The Airstream 'deities' are probably laughing out loud at that one.

"I know how we can screw with them a little, wait until Ernie has done all the work to repair the busted up wrap, and only when they go to re-fit it let them find out its too short"

....and it's not even April 1st yet
So far I've worked on three different Airstream motorhomes and have dismantled a fourth. It seems that no two are alike and more importantly don't take anything for granted as you'll just find out you were wrong

Not as much happened on Peanut as I had planned for this past weekend. On Saturday afternoon I finished up the battery cables, got the ends on and sealed the openings top and bottom with Tempro 635. I wanted the Tempro to set before putting the batteries in the box but unfortunately the Tempro hadn't set completely by Sunday afternoon so I decided to wait until next weekend to put the batteries in. I want the Tempro to set to ensure it makes a good seal around the cables.

So I gave up on Peanut and put in a little time on my Argosy and the TR6.

Brad
Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 AM   #488
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Oops; anyone have a ABS fibreglass stretcher handy?
No....but we've got ABS glue!

Quote:
Blossoms on your trees? We're lucky most of the 1 1/2' of snow in my yard melted over the last week. It will come back I fear.
It got down to 23 degrees Saturday night and the blossoms are now dying and falling off the tree

I think at the most we got maybe 2" of snow this winter. It's been a short warm winter here so far. Probably the shortest since I've lived here.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #489
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
So far I've worked on three different Airstream motorhomes and have dismantled a fourth. It seems that no two are alike and more importantly don't take anything for granted as you'll just find out you were wrong

Not as much happened on Peanut as I had planned for this past weekend. On Saturday afternoon I finished up the battery cables, got the ends on and sealed the openings top and bottom with Tempro 635. I wanted the Tempro to set before putting the batteries in the box but unfortunately the Tempro hadn't set completely by Sunday afternoon so I decided to wait until next weekend to put the batteries in. I want the Tempro to set to ensure it makes a good seal around the cables.

So I gave up on Peanut and put in a little time on my Argosy and the TR6.

Brad
I think it took me a year or more to realize that "taking anything for granted" or making any assumptions on how the 310 is put together is a huge mistake. In fact I think I still do it, and then promptly pound my head against a wall. How many WTHs will it take? We warn new owners here on the forums, I was warned, but until you experience it over and over again for yourself I don't think you truly "get it".......ahhhhhhhhh the joy!!!! Keeps it interesting right?

How bout an occasional picture or two of the TR-6 Brad??? Would love to see that project too! Ive always loved the lines on the TRs, all of them.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #490
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I think it took me a year or more to realize that "taking anything for granted" or making any assumptions on how the 310 is put together is a huge mistake. In fact I think I still do it, and then promptly pound my head against a wall. How many WTHs will it take? We warn new owners here on the forums, I was warned, but until you experience it over and over again for yourself I don't think you truly "get it".......ahhhhhhhhh the joy!!!! Keeps it interesting right?
Yep, just when I think I've got these things figure out something else pops up and surprises me! These rigs are a true case of "Expect the unexpected"

Quote:
How bout an occasional picture or two of the TR-6 Brad??? Would love to see that project too! Ive always loved the lines on the TRs, all of them.
Several people have asked for some pictures so I've posted a few in my Argosy thread for my 72 Triumph TR6.

Brad
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #491
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

Brad
On that note I don't know if anyone else has seen this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/a...as-163146.html

Now I suggested removing the front quarter from the donor wreck in Calgary but I have always had a niggle at the back of my brain wondering how common our MH parts are, even major parts like the front quarters. If the owner did travel to Calgary to remove the front quarter off the wreck, how close could it, or would it be?

I'm reminded of the Ferrari's of yore, like the GTO's, where no two panels, however similar, were a like. It was common for the drivers door to be centimeters (not millimetres), centimeters bigger or smaller than the passenger side.

Anything to help this poor fellow from across the pond.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #492
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
On that note I don't know if anyone else has seen this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/a...as-163146.html

Now I suggested removing the front quarter from the donor wreck in Calgary but I have always had a niggle at the back of my brain wondering how common our MH parts are, even major parts like the front quarters. If the owner did travel to Calgary to remove the front quarter off the wreck, how close could it, or would it be?

I'm reminded of the Ferrari's of yore, like the GTO's, where no two panels, however similar, were a like. It was common for the drivers door to be centimeters (not millimetres), centimeters bigger or smaller than the passenger side.

Anything to help this poor fellow from across the pond.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, looking at the damage in the picture on the thread you linked to I have to agree with Peter that there is some structural damage to the cast aluminum framework that makes up the cab structure. That framework will not be easy or cheap to fix. I would fully expect the insurance company to total the coach rather than pay to have it fixed.

As for the damaged skin, the repair would be very similar to what we had to do to Peanut's right front.

To bring that 345 back from the brink won't be cheap or easy
Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Spent some time this morning installing the cockpit window drain tubes. I used 5/16" OD copper tubing. When Airstream started installing the drain tubes in the Classic's they used a short piece of tubing and then used rubber hose down through the floor. I opted to use all copper tubing which means there would be no rubber that could deteriorate inside the walls.

First step was to flare the end of a 29" piece of 5/16" tubing. Next step was to drill 5/16" holes through the window channel and down through the aluminum cab structure and the wood floor. The hole in the floor exits at the top of the wheel well.

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-flare.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	281159

After drilling the hole in the window channel I used a 45 degree bevel to taper the hole to accept the flared copper tubing.

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-installed.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	281160

After feeding the copper tube down through the holes in the frame and floor I used Tempro 635 to create a seal so water couldn't past the flare. This is the same approach Airstream used.

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-routing.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	281162Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-tempro-635-seal.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	281163

In order to keep bugs out and Mud Daubers from plugging the end of the tube I used some stainless screen and a hose clamp. Hopefully this will keep the tube from plugging. I used this same approach on the drain tubes for the evaporator box on my Argosy.

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-wheel-well-protrusion.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	281161Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-drain-tube-bug-barrier.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	281164

I'll let the Tempro sit for a day or to so it can cure properly before putting the insulation and wall skin back in place.

Brad
Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #494
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Wow... what a really neat solution.

I see this in Bella's future as well!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #495
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Window Drains

Brad,
While I had heard of the drain tubes in later models, my 77 came from the factory without any drains. When it was new I never had any trouble with water accumulation in the window channels. Over the years I have replaced the fuzzy seal around the glass multiple times. The last several times I had trouble with water accumulating in the channels and could not understand why in recent years water was a problem and was not in the earlier years. Out of the cobwebs of my old brain I finally remembered that the original factory installed fuzzy seal had holes drilled or cut along the bottom of the fuzzy such that water accumulating in the fuzzy would drain down into the channel below the fuzzy and out through the exterior weep holes. So this last time in replacing the fuzzy seal, I drilled several holes into the fuzzy in the area of the weep holes and then there was no more water problems. Of course the weep holes and the channel below the fuzzy seal have to remain clear.
Gregg
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #496
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Gregg,

So far from my own experience I've never seen cockpit windows slide open! My old 310 windows were stuck in place and I never got around to replacing the seals. My Argosy windows are also stuck as were the 345 windows that I salvaged.

It would appear that proper maintenance and probably a little bit of luck is required to not have issues with water on the inside and on the floor.

The 74-76 Argosies had a different arrangement to where the gap between the inner and outer skin was left open all the way into the wheel well. All it took was to drill a hole in the bottom of the window channel and any water that got on the inside would drain out the hole. Not so with the later models where they extended the wood floor all the way to the outer skin for 77 and later models.

Martin's Argosy has weep holes and is a fresh install by "professionals" but he still has water leaking inside onto the floor. Maybe that's where the luck comes in!

Brad
Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #497
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
When I first replaced my fuzzy seal 2 years ago, I didn't drill the holes in the fuzzy and I was having trouble with water accumulating in the channel where you installed the drain. I spent some time trying to figure out how the water was getting in. I stayed inside the motorhome during a driving rain and watched. I was finally able to determine that the fuzzy seal was getting saturated and excess water was was wicking up on the fuzzy seal on the inside and running down into the channel where you installed the drain. Without the drain in the inside channel water would fill up and overflow into the motorhome. After drilling the little holes in the bottom of the fuzzy no more water came inside.

To keep the window sliding properly, I periodically spray silicone lubricant into the fuzzy seal and then slide the window back and forth spreading the lubricant around as much as possible. With the window working, I then. Use a dry cloth to wipe up the excess and the window usually works quite nicely. I usually do this about once per year. I agree that without some silicone lubricant, the window will jam in its track. I do the same with the screens in the side windows.

If a window is stuck I liberally lube the fuzzy seal, let it soak, and with some persuasion the window will free up and slide.

Gregg
Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #498
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
By the way I do like your approach to installing drains. The next time I have to open that area, I think that will consider adding drains.
Gregg
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #499
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Gregg, what type, brand, etc silicone spray do you use?

I need to tackle Peanut's and my windows in the near future and the silicone spray sounds like a must have.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #500
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Silicon Spray Lubricant

Brad,
I get an aerosol can at an auto parts store. I try to get a can with the little red plastic nozzle so that I can direct the spray more precisely without getting it everywhere. Over the years I have used multiple brands with equal success. It is great stuff to have available when traveling.
Gregg