Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #41
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Well today the target of my frustration is 'Craigslist', and I am starting to wonder if I have angered Tony's Airstream Gods, because they are (I am sure) deliberately taunting me.

No sooner do I get the news that the A/C unit is not available, but a 'used' one shows up on Craigslist less than 100miles away. Hurrah, I here you shout, except the listing is only contactable by email....and everyone knows the Craigslist email contact system sucks - why could the guy not have listed a phone number so I could offer him whatever he wants as long as the rebuild can keep on track!!!!!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I hope he emails you back immediately!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I'm sure you saw this one, correct?

http://nh.fr.craigslist.org/hsh/4716638925.html
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #44
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Yep, it's strange though; comes up as 'French' listing on Google but a regular listing using Search Tempest or any of the blanket Craigslist search engines (which use Google Ads)....either way, so far two emails to the seller, no reply. I'm not surprised though my experience is about 50% of emails to listing addresses, doesn't make it, plus it has been listed for over 3 weeks now.

At the moment I would even take a non-functioning unit as I wont need the A/C or heat until April, but it would allow the guys to complete the install (all the hoses and connectors are in stock at the supplier); it is an easy swap later.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #45
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Just to close out this 'side-bar'.....

After several attempts to contact the seller via my 'Hotmail' email addy, and getting no response, I tried using my 'Gmail' account. Got a response from the seller, those instance on anonymity continued into, not willing to provide a name, not willing to provide a contact number, only willing to complete the deal in a Walgreens car park (anyone would think they were trying to sell Government secrets not a used AC!). I went along with it because I need the unit (even if it stops working immediately as it would let that part of the build continue).......only to find it wasn't a CR-5000, but a two year old CR-7000 - maybe the seller could have spent a little time looking at the label instead of playing 'clock and dagger'.

On paper the CR-7000 would be a better unit (20% more AC, 30% more heat than the CR-5000), and would have been a better choice (if still available) the problem is, the extra performance comes with a size increase, and I don't think we have that extra space.

Bottom line is I bought the unit anyway, even if it can only be used for testing and mock up, it maybe usual.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Congrats!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #47
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Had to drop by the Airstream workshop today to drop off some parts, so took the used A/C heat pump with me. The guys at the shop will have the final say, but it looks like I have struck incredibly lucky and the CR-7000 appears to fit, through the new access panel and still leave room for the EU2000i generator, that will slide out when in use.

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, the way my luck is at the moment!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You just made a withdrawal from your Karma savings account
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #49
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Big time!!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Martin,

Just want to let you know I look forward to seeing your posts on this thread, and lament when there are no pictures. :-P Seriously enjoying your rehabilitation of this beautiful motor home!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #51
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Maybe a little Karma payback today when the guys went to install the last VistaView (sourced from Silver Trailer Supply (AKA Intermountain Airstream) as we have used all the ones from the donor), only to find I have bought the wrong type - I need a curved window and bought a couple of flat ones. Hopefully quickly remedied by purchasing another; I will worry about if they will take the others back another time....
Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #52
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The latest update is a little brief as the guys had to waiting for the last window to arrive, but also the interior work has been paused whilst the sink/burner combo shipped form Europe.

Means the guys have been working on other customers trailers, apart from doing a lot of detail work on the screen door. Gives an idea of their attention to detail; one of the previous owners had installed a stainless dead-lock below the original lock, and had cut a hole on the screen door to access the internal lever. The guys had dismantled the screen from the donor and welded in slider from that door, so we now have two sliders for the original and new deadlock. Trouble is the door looks so nice now I couldn't help asking if we could find a window for the door.....especially if it was a Winick style porthole.

Today I dropped off the new sink/matching waste bin, TV and PC so cabinetry can be built, but also talked through laying in the prep work for a future flexible solar install.

I think I just added somewhere like $5K to the budget.....
Old 12-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #53
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Took a quick trip over to the Airstream shop today to drop of the alternate counter-top material (after the warning from Curavii, and the spate of 'my Corian counter-top has cracked' posts on the forum, we have changed to a Formica laminate) - the place is packed. Two Argosy trailers now in for work, plus approx eight modern Airstream trailers and a couple of big A Class coaches. The guys have still found time to install all new seals in the transplanted sliders....looks like the window part of the saga is nearing completion.

New aluminium interior panels have started arriving from Airstream and the interior work is 'moving along'....biggest worry at the moment is the pile of new parts to go into the Argosy is bigger than the MH itself.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post

New aluminium interior panels have started arriving from Airstream and the interior work is 'moving along'....biggest worry at the moment is the pile of new parts to go into the Argosy is bigger than the MH itself.
It is truly amazing how much can fit into a 20' Argosy MH!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Oh man Martin.....looooooking gooooood
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Wow... this makes me want one now... too bad they didn't start this way.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #57
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
.......Trouble is the door looks so nice now I couldn't help asking if we could find a window for the door.....especially if it was a Winick style porthole.....
Never one to do things conventionally, and after being quote $1500 for a replacement salvage door which included a (regular rectangular) window and after finding out the Winick style porthole was not available from Airstream, it got me thinking (never a good thing).....porthole....why not an actual marine porthole (at least they a designed not to leak!)? As an experiment I ordered two salvage portholes from a ship dismantler in India, one round and one oblong.

Yesterday I call into the Airstream shop (to look at the kitchen mock up), but armed with the portholes.

Imagine the conversation....
Me: I have a suggestion for the window in the door, can we install an pothole I got from India.
Dave the project manager: silence.
Me: I think it will, fit can we try?
Dave: well I'm not the one who is going to have to try, lets talk to the techs, we go out to the shop.
Me to Bob the tech who has spent the last 2 or 3 months fitting all the new sliders and VistaViews: I have an idea for the window in the door, I show him the porthole.
Bob: let me get this right, you I want to fit a salvage pothole from India in the door?
Me: well I want to see if it could fit.
Bob: a porthole in the door?
Me: humor me....

Guess what.....the oblong one looks a perfect match for the VistaViews, and would go straight into the door at about 3/4 height (where there is enough flex in the door to accommodate a flat window). I would like it a little higher so the guys are going to try and put a curve in the porthole frame (about 3/8"), but also the round one is going to look great in the shower door (instead of a complete glass door)....result!

The second result of the day was the kitchen mock up works great....with the latest layout we have managed to get 6ft of countertop into the kitchen and still have access for rotating the drivers seat....actually the end of the countertop is perfect height to double up as a side table for the driver. The entire drivers side is just bed and kitchen.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #58
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hmmm.....so today we found the breaking point of cast aluminium which resulted in two halves of a porthole. Lessons learned, and a second porthole is on order this time we will be less ambitious with the curvature.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #59
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Been a little crazy at the Airstream shop over the holidays so one 'big' update.

The Magnum inverter/remote arrived and allowed all the internal wiring to be laid out and installed, which marked the start of 'reconstruction' rather than 'development'. In terms of the interior; all the mock ups have been removed and lots of new shiny aluminium skins are being installed.

We spent a lot of time deciding what to do about the 'door hinges'. The best advice on the forum was to change them whilst we have access, but neither me nor the guys in the shop can find anything wrong with the ones we have - the door fits great. So we have decided to leave alone but ensure the skins covering the hinges can easily be removed - much easier than the hinges themselves will be!

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum the mattresses for the twin beds have been spec'ed out but we can't pull the trigger on having them made until the cabinetry is installed. Other new bits that have arrived are, the 200w Zamp portable solar panel (we are going with 4x6v batteries) so will be able to run everything including the small AC/heater from the batteries if needed, the Atwood on-demand water heater, and the main distribution panel the electrical system (a Parallax 80D).....and the additional porthole from India (how come DHL can ship a porthole from India in 4 days yet FEDEX and UPS have taken 10 days to ship parts from California??????)

Still waiting on delivery of the new generator (which is going to be stored/carried in the night stand behind the AC/heater, and is needed to finalize the build of that cabinetry) and the pull-out table which comes out of the 'top drawer' of the nightstand. Also waiting on the Dometic RM4223 3-way refridgerator.

One thing got added to the 'going to install' list this week....we have found we have room for an Atwood furnace next to the on-demand heater as going to install that option as well.

Just to finish more pictures of the new skins.....because they look so nice!!!!!

Looking through the front screen,

Looking through the back window,

Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Happy New Year's Martin!!! I am so happy for you. I always look forward to seeing your project progress. Please keep up the posting. Also very interested to see how your door idea turns out. :-D