Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #81
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Well we have a plan, which may not sit well with some folks. Firstly to complete the beds themselves we are having some some covers made from Sunbrella (much like used in the Flying Clouds) so when using the beds as a dinette we will be sitting on the covers. The next part is a little unorthodox; when sleeping we are going to use sleeping bags, not sheets/duvets. We have sourced some bags with cotton liners, and the rational is, if you are in a sleeping bag you are less likely to touch the wall anyway. More so when the sleeping bags are rolled up, they will go into covers we are having made (from the same Sunbrella fabric) and along with duplicate covers for the pillows, form the 'chair backs' when using the beds as a dinette - fortuitously the oversize sleeping bags role down to 36" by 12" , the same size as two king size pillows so each bed will have a pair of bolster pillows along the wall (when using as a dinette).

That said we also have a Plan B, which is Plan A plus some fitted bed bumpers. These are effectively side/headboards covered in the same Sunbrella, attached to the walls, upto just under the windows, using marine grade press studs (the guys making our covers and curtains etc are marine upholsters so used to making this sort of wall protector). These press studs are just riveted to the inner skins so can be added later if Plan A doesn't work.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #82
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The weather has improved slightly in the Boston area, so we had a chance to drive over to the workshop and see how things are going.

I guess the guys have been a little distracted as pulling into the car park it is pretty obvious the storms had done some damage (the siding on one side of the building was buckled, and some of the showroom windows had caved in). Have to say I was pretty glad when I went inside and could see the damage appeared cosmetic and the workshop was intact.

That said the new kitchen cabinets and counter-top are in.

And the guys have also finished the matching Formica on the nightstand/pull out table.

The electrics are all in and under test, hence the Parallax converter/charger in the lower picture. That is temporarily sitting on the installed Magnum MMS1012 whilst they put the circuits through their paces.

As Tom the shop manager says.....moving right along.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Nice! Very nice!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Very Excited for you!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #85
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
New generator arrived so I popped over to the shop to see if it would fit in the space the guys have left to store it (when driving). I have picked up a LowPro lock down plate to hold it secure but it was good to see it at least fitted in the space behind the A/C within the dummy night-stand.

Wet-room and closet cabinetry finished now as well (although the handles still have to be fitted)

Not so visible is the on-going work on the dash A/C. Despite the techs best efforts we are sure it is never going to work really well, so I have decided to bite the bullet get a complete new custom setup from Classic Auto Air, with additional outlets ducted back into the step down into the main living area.

Biggest issue now is the trimming of the skins around the new Vista View
windows. What should have been an easy task appears not so, and we have now tried both types of plastic close-outs (no joy because the Vista Views are too close to the main sliders), current aluminum trims (too short), the trims that were used on International and other Stack Windows, Unless I can sources 5 of these....

(Airstream PN#106760) then I am going to have to get some custom rolled.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Absolutely Gorgeous! Looking forward to the next post.

What system did you go with for the A/C? Our dash A/C is about worthless because of the space in the motor home and only the front gets kind of cool (maybe 10 deg less than ambient), and it drops off sharply every foot your travel back. Only way to keep her cool is to run the generator and the A/C's.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #87
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Thanks Vycan, we are pretty happy with the way it is going.

I had been talking to the guys at Vintage Air and they had specified one of their SureFit systems as a direct replacement (http://www.vintageair.com/2014catalo...08-15%2038.pdf). At that time the plan was to run the main A/C if needed (the small ClimateRight unit in the actual main body can run via the inverter). But it was going to be a pain to get air flow around it on the move (it is located within the dummy nightstand even though it is accessed from outside) so we decided just to use that when parked up, and so needed to upgrade the dash A/C for on the move.

I then started talking to Steve Rejkowski at Classic Auto Air as they make not only direct replacements but also upgrade systems to fit in the same locations. What we are getting is based on one of their Street Rod Cooler III systems but with electric controls. Once they guys get it in and show it works I will share a list of what we needed - just want to make sure it works before miss-leading folks.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #88
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Unfortunately this has been a 'two steps back' week.

The guys weren't happy with the fit of the generator, or rather the easy of removal of the generator when mounted to the LowPro, so when I visited yesterday they are part way through moving the hatch up by approx an inch.

Add in three separate custom fab shops have said they can't make the window trims, and the one that said they would try is talking about $800 per window as a starting point. Means I have spent most of the weekend experimenting with rolling aluminum angle......

Being ready for a first outing at Chilly Man is looking less likely.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear that. Maybe this week will be a 5 step forward week. And MH or not - I hope you can make chilly man anyway!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I have really enjoyed following your thread. I have learned so much from your experience. Building one of these from scratch is not for the weak of heart. Hang in there, you will soon be cruising down the highway with a sense of pride and satisfaction that few will ever know. God speed.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #91
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Thanks for the encouragement; I understand it's 'the way of things' and just challenges to overcome.

I more thinking of the guys at the shop; I ordered the generator back in December and when it no-showed, they had to build based on measurements - most of the time that is fine, this time it bit us.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I am not clear on the problem with the vista view windows. I see the picture of the fame you are trying to install. Did you see the vista view window on E-bay right now? It appears to be brand new never installed.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #93
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I just checked out the ones on Ebay, they do look like new (never installed) windows, but I would still have the problem.

Regular cabin windows have a 'frame' so that when they are riveted in to the out skin they close the gap to the inner skin, however the VistaView/stack windows don't have the frame; the gap between the inner skin and window needs to be 'closed-out'.

The issue is the normal 'close-outs' are much bigger than the windows, and are profiled/scalloped a little like the surrounds of an aircraft window - they take up a lot of real-estate. When the shop added the VistaViews they were limited by previous holes etc and they ended up about 3inches lower (closer to the main windows) and there is no room for the regular close-outs.

So, I ordered some trims from the current Airstream range (which are bent from aluminum angle) but they were too high and have a semi-circle end shape (the old VistaViews are a quarter curve, a short straight, then the second curve) - so wouldn't work.

So, I ordered some that where used for a short time on the International around 2004, again too wide.

So, I ordered some plastic trims from 30" stack windows from 1969 - 1993, too short.

....and the sage continues.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Martin,

Have you considered a machine shop? If you bring in the specs they can make anything to your desire as long as you either show them what you want, or have the technical specs for them to make it. It would also likely cost you 1 hour of labor plus materials. Additionally I have found if you stop by a machine shop and just chat with them for a bit (assuming they are not busy) they will cut you a good deal as they are more concerned with repeat business.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #95
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have asked at a couple of machine shops that also do fab, but so far no joy.

I will try some of the local water-jet or CNC guys, but I'm not sure if a machined part would have enough flex to take the third axis curve of the window/skin, or if the curve would have to be cut in and that will be more difficult (=expensive).
Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #96
Rivet Master

If that does not pan out, also try a municipal airfield, and ask if they have an airframe repair shop. That will be expensive, but they can do anything with aluminum. If you do not know of any use www.skyvector.com to find the nearest one to you.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #97
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Will do Vycan, there are a couple of small airfields nearby.

In the meantime the first progress update isn't really obvious.

But note the shore power, as the Magnum and on-board electrics are all working.

But that also means the Fant-tastic vents are in and for the first time I can see how clean the inside and outside roof line look (sans AC and other roof vents).

But also the on-board ducted air AC/heat is in and running, nestled behind the generator.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Just curious... do you have any plans to isolate the AC from the generator and isolate airflow from the two to prevent either from increasing ambient temps and reducing the efficiency of the other?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #99
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I think the situation looks more complex than it actually is, because the generator only lives there for transport, the intention is to lift it out for use (there is no transfer switch, it just plugs in the shoreline when running.

The AC is permanently installed and runs either with the hatch open or closed (the hatch is louvered), but is normally plugged into the shore/generator 110v/20 amp circuit.

If we want we can physically change so that it plugs into the 110v/15amp circuit and run off the inverter/solar, but as a 'safety' you can only access the plug from the outside, after the generator is removed, and if running we can't use the only other high power appliance....our toaster oven!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #100
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
We have had a small 'gotcha' this week, which is hopefully solved, at least I am confident enough to share.

The media system is centered around a small Lenovo PC. The PC is mounting in the top of the closet, with optical audio output (via a optical/analog converter) to the dash stereo (or rather the amplifier for the stereo) and HDMI to the flat screen mounted on the side of the closet looking towards the back.

It was mounted in such a way that the TV could rotate through 180 degrees to face forward (diagram below).

Which was fine for the person sitting in the drivers seat but the passenger could only see half the screen. As the front seats double up as the main seating this wasn't exactly 'useful'.

The solution was to get two 'heavy duty' long reach Cheetah mounts, remove the TV plate from one, the wall plate from the other and join the two halves to make a mount that can extend to 40", and actually reach clear across the main 'corridor'.

We will have to strengthen the closet wall where it bolts through, but it also means we can better centralize the bracket, on the wall, and still see the whole screen from both front seats.

It also means the TV can be positioned centrally at the end of the pull-out table, if we are set up with the beds as a dinette.