Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
duhhh... spare???

I hardly dare to ask but: Did Argosy 20's (or any argosy MH for that matter) come with a spare tire? If so where were they fitted originally?

thx

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
yes I have seen the pics on Freds site

It suggests on the back, but non of the brackets look alike.... suggesting a spare was not standard. SO what were you supposed to do when a front tire is punctured, borrow from the rear axle?
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Two choices: 1) call a tire service company to fix the tire or 2) change an outside dual off and proceed at slower speed till you can get to a tire repair shop. or 3) Good Sam Road Service can handle the whole thing for you.
Depending on your age and physical ability I personally think road service is a good choice for me. Tires and wheels are heavy and hard to handle for most people, so I leave it to the pros to do it. Besides, unless you have had your wheels removed and coated lugs with anti-seize lubricant and properly torqued on, they have been installed by a cat with a super powerful air wrench and you probably won't be able to break the lugs loose. I have owned 13 RVs and only 4 have had spare tires and wheels.
Good to remember: Motorhome tires should be replaced every 7 years regardless of tread remaining or miles driven. I replaced all 6 tires on my 02 Diesel Pusher in 2005 because the tires were manufactured in 01 and had signs of cracking on the sidewalls. I never have had a failure since I started checking and replacing as the tires age.
Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfclubroad View Post
It suggests on the back, but non of the brackets look alike.... suggesting a spare was not standard. SO what were you supposed to do when a front tire is punctured, borrow from the rear axle?
Wiebe,

This is all that remains of what I think is the spare tire mount for our 1974 20' Argosy motorhome. What I don't know is if its original or not. I'm not sure if I will fab something to make it usable or remove it and use something totally of my design.

Since we have a generator in the rear it has to be something that is easily removed or swung out of the way. Either way I have plenty of time to worry about it since it doesn't have have an engine installed yet .

Click image for larger version

Name:	1974-Argosy-rear-tire-mount.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	96758

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wiebe,

This is all that remains of what I think is the spare tire mount for our 1974 20' Argosy motorhome. What I don't know is if its original or not. I'm not sure if I will fab something to make it usable or remove it and use something totally of my design.

Since we have a generator in the rear it has to be something that is easily removed or swung out of the way. Either way I have plenty of time to worry about it since it doesn't have have an engine installed yet .

Brad
No, if there was a factory spare at all, it would have been behind a Fiberglas cover over the rear bumper.

You could modify an exterior spare tire mount off a Jeep or a mid 1980's S10 Blazer to go on the back, it would swing out of the way for generator access.

Didn't Bubba and Buford finish putting that engine in before it left Arkansas?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
My Argo has a spare but since it was made in 1992 or 1993 (I forget) I probably wouldn't use it. I certainly wouldn't use it on the front. Last time I changed the tires, the spare had less cracking than any of the newer tires I was taking off!
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbs View Post
My Argo has a spare but since it was made in 1992 or 1993 (I forget) I probably wouldn't use it. I certainly wouldn't use it on the front. Last time I changed the tires, the spare had less cracking than any of the newer tires I was taking off!
Can you post a picture of your spare tire mount?
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
No, if there was a factory spare at all, it would have been behind a Fiberglas cover over the rear bumper.
Terry, are you sure the early Argosies had such a cover? With the factory installed generator on ours there is no way a tire could have been mounted above the bumper. I haen't seen an Argosy styled like that.

Quote:
You could modify an exterior spare tire mount off a Jeep or a mid 1980's S10 Blazer to go on the back, it would swing out of the way for generator access.
That's kind of what I have been thinking about doing. I just haven't been able to make up my mind whether to mount the contraption to the motorhome or to something that slides into the receiver hitch.

Quote:
Didn't Bubba and Buford finish putting that engine in before it left Arkansas?
Nope. They both worked at the same automotive machine shop and when the shop started to go under they stopped showing up at my place to work on it. I never did understand that because I was paying cash and they weren't getting paid from their place of employment. Go figure....

As it ended up I had to reasemble the right rear hub assembly, put the diff cover back on, support the transmission for transport and finish reassembling the front suspension (about 50%). I wound up busting my butt for two weekends (during our move) doing all this work just so I could get it ready to haul on a trailer.

I'll post some pictures here shortly so you can see what I had to do to get the Argosy to Kentucky.

Brad
Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
Argosy 28 spare tire

Here are a couple of pictures of my spare tire mount. PO had moved the mount from the trailer hitch to the bumper itself so he could add a storage locker. I removed the locker and put the bumper back where it belongs. You can see where the original spare tire support was cut off the hitch. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02845.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	96848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02844.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	96849  

Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote