Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bloomington , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
There's another saying I like using.

The definition of insanity is using the same material for your subfloor, and expect a different result. The wheel you are refering too is a wooden spoked Model T wheel; the wheel I use (Coosa board) is a modern magnesium hollow spoked wheel with the ability to inflated the tire through the spokes. Lighter, stronger, waterproof, mold proof, fungus proof and just better; far better.

If I was the OP, and I knew without a doubt that those vista windows were going to leak five minutes after I "sealed" them; letting water into contact with his new subfloor; I'd want the piece of mind of Coosa.

Yes, you can use the Coosa for the outer 24" or so, leaving 4' in the middle with plywood if you want. I did just that in my back room, but it just turned out that it was easier to do the entire front 8' with Coosa.

BTW, It is also a very good sound deadener.

Cheers
Tony
Trust that it's driving me nuts trying to justify Coosa and driving me nuts thinking about the price. I really want to rebuild this coach to a better state than it was when new and I believe that the weight savings(small as it may be) and other benefits of Coosa are ways to achieve that. Nearly 3000 dollars just hurts to think about. Like your story about wheels, the model T wheel was fine considering the rest of the car. Given the horrible job Airstream did at preventing leaks, my subfloor still lasted most of 40 years. I have considered putting coosa in the known problem areas which be a best of both worlds scenario. There were only a couple places where the rot was bad, In those places it was really bad that was a pretty localized problem. Adopting a better wheel well should eliminate or vastly minimize the rot in that area, a proper drain for refrigerator condensate would elminate that major rot issue. I'll probably end up getting some for the front where windows seem to like to drip.

Which reminds me. Does anyone have a line on some of the channel for the sliders? Vintage trailer supply has a product that they want 20 dollars for each 8 foot section. The sections I need are 4'2" and 4'8". That means I'll be wasting a ton of it. Before I spend 560 dollars on window channel I thought I'd ask around.

Also, my engine is getting closer to being sorted. Whenever this crate engine was built it was built with a collection of Gen V and gen VI parts. A gen 5 cam means I need a Gen 5 timing set but a Gen 5 double roller doesn't fit under a Gen 6 timing cover. I finally know exactly what I have and what I need now so tomorrow I'll have the final parts and she will hopefully fire up!
Scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bloomington , IL
The engine came back to life! Now while the front end is apart I'll replace motor mounts and possibly install headers if I can find banks headers for my year. Not sure if the newer model headers will fit.

I've been scouring threads for hose replacement, that will be my next goose chase I'm sure.

At least I'm getting closer to the "fun part"

In the arena of a mini split, what does anyone think about the ceiling mounted cassette type. It would require a small box above the roof of the coach but it might look better than the roof AC unit.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottorious View Post
The engine came back to life!
Congratulations! One less thing to worry about

Quote:
Now while the front end is apart I'll replace motor mounts and possibly install headers if I can find banks headers for my year. Not sure if the newer model headers will fit.
I can't say whether Banks headers will fit your year coach or not. I do know that Thorley THY-303Y-C headers fit on my 74 and I'm sure they would fit your 77.

Quote:
I've been scouring threads for hose replacement, that will be my next goose chase I'm sure.

At least I'm getting closer to the "fun part"
The radiator hoses are no longer available, lots of us have searched without success for the original hoses. There is a flex hose replacement that fits for the lower hose. I have this hose on my Argosy and on Peanut which is a 77 Argosy.

The upper radiator also has a flex hose replacement that works as well. I used this hose on Peanut. Once Peanut's was installed I also found this hose and installed it on my Argosy. The hose is actually for some other vehicle but it has the right curves and can be cut to fit. I bought one and installed it on my Argosy. Fit seems to be fine.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bloomington , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Congratulations! One less thing to worry about

I can't say whether Banks headers will fit your year coach or not. I do know that Thorley THY-303Y-C headers fit on my 74 and I'm sure they would fit your 77.
I'll have to look into those headers. I called Banks to see if they had any experts on the matter but they understandably didn't. I really like them for the thick flange that requires no gasket.

As far as the hoses. Thanks for that. I ignorantly thought last night that I had a line on some parts that worked but whatever those parts were for were absolutely not going to fit. Between flex hoses or maybe a multi piece hose kit I suppose I'll get something working. Summit has a stainless steel flex hose that might work. I think while I'm on the hunt for these parts I'll replace the motor mounts and headers and then slowly piece the front back together as I find parts.

Thanks for the help as always!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bloomington , IL
With the engine accessories still laying on my garage floor I thought it the perfect time to replace motor mounts. Got those rascals unbolted and I'll jack the engine up tomorrow to replace them. I have been soaking the manifold bolts for a few days now and noticed today that they're barely tight. I was up in the air about headers but while I have this much access to the engine I think I Neff to go for it. Unless the curbside manifold is supposed to be 2 pieces, it's broken anyway. I wish I knew banks headers would fit (I like the gasketless flange) but the Doug thorley units look nice. The brunt of winter might slow down some of the exterior jobs but I feel better about them since I've already got the bolts loose. Everything back from the cockpit is stripped and I'm hoping my wheel wells are finished soon so that I can seal up the coach a bit. Might not be totally forward movement yet but I'm going somewhere and it's feeling good.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
If I remember right there are several forum members running the same Thorley headers. I believe the header flanges are 3/8" but Thorley does specify a gasket be used. Unfortunately as yet I have no on road experience with the Thorley headers as I haven't drive mine.

It sounds like you're making good progress!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bloomington , IL
So while I'm waiting on parts to show up or get built I'm diving into the planning of the interior build. I had mentioned a mini split in the past and now i might be more and more serious about it. I bought the 16KWH pack from a Chevy volt for a good price and it's made up of 7 modules of 48 volts and 2 of 24 volts. There exists on the internet at least a 48v mini split and it might just pair up nicely with these cells. I'm definitely going to look into a proper BMS for them and I'm open to ideas of a rear bumper mounted box to keep the slightly more dangerous batteries out of the living area. With that much storage and only about 300 pounds of weight I hope It enables more time off grid without chasing sun or running the genny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171209_074634_181.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	300907