Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Can anyone with the 7000 on the rear tell me how much extra length it adds when folded flush against the trailer? Can the rack be removed (and the mounts be left in place) when not in use? I have tight storage. A few inches might tip the balance. Just wondering. Thanks.
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hello Chaeha

We install quite a few of the front bike carriers as well but you have to be sure your turning circle will be ok with your tow vehicle. This is mainly an issue with pick ups, and full size SUV's. The only other thing I notice is the front mounted bikes can get a lot of bugs on them..

Andrew T
Now that I have a camper shell on my Ram 2500 I did get within a few inches of the bike wheel and rack bike rail touching the shell. I was able to move the front bike rail back a couple more inches so should allow me a tighter angle backing in but I'll still have to be careful. When I had my Tundra it had a tonneau cover and the bike rack was above that level.

I might have preferred the rear location but my Classic rear bumper with the pull out tray complicates installing a bike rack back there.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I purchased the rack from CANAM on the back of my Eddie Bauer 25 FB. My trailer is 3 inches shorter than my garage so I needed something completely removable, which this is. I mounted it so the bottom brackets are on the top of the bumper and the top brackets are screwed into the belt line moulding which is the best place as it is very thick and recommended by CANAM. The brackets are mounted on top of the rear bumper so that when I touch my garage wall with the rear bumper I don't leave 2 holes from the brackets sticking out. I can still open my bumper storage lid too while the rack is in place. The rack also tilts back so I can open my rear hatch without removing the bikes completely. This is a good quality rack guaranteed to fit, lightweight and easy to remove. The rack cost more than the bikes but the peace of mind ensuring the bikes or rack would not damage my AS and prevent a costly repair was worth it.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
I purchased the rack from CANAM on the back of my Eddie Bauer 25 FB. My trailer is 3 inches shorter than my garage so I needed something completely removable, which this is. I mounted it so the bottom brackets are on the top of the bumper and the top brackets are screwed into the belt line moulding which is the best place as it is very thick and recommended by CANAM. The brackets are mounted on top of the rear bumper so that when I touch my garage wall with the rear bumper I don't leave 2 holes from the brackets sticking out. I can still open my bumper storage lid too while the rack is in place. The rack also tilts back so I can open my rear hatch without removing the bikes completely. This is a good quality rack guaranteed to fit, lightweight and easy to remove. The rack cost more than the bikes but the peace of mind ensuring the bikes or rack would not damage my AS and prevent a costly repair was worth it.

Thanks for the info. Seems like I'm going to take the plunge and buy this rack for my Sport. Anybody have any 'cons' regarding the rack?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Please post pictures and update when you get it installed on your sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
For those of you that purchased from Can Am from the USA did you pay Canadian tax? The kind folks at Can Am say that it be refunded after the fact via a form. True? Any trouble getting the tax back? Can anyone send me the link to the appropriate form online?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I don't remember paying any tax when I ordered my bike rack directly from Arvika.

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
I did not pay any Canadian tax when I purchased my 7000-AF, 2-bike rack directly from Arvika.
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Got my Arvika 7000 from Can Am today! Eager to do install. No instructions given though by Can Am. Anyone remember what drill bit size they used for the screws for the middle belt line and lower rub rail? What depth? Same as screw? Best to use a drill stop? Any other tricks to install?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Anyone add some weatherproofing to the screws when installing? If so, what kind?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I put some silicone on the thread of the screws.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
WINSTON SALEM , North Carolina
Hi chaeha,

I just bought a Sport 22 and I’m looking for a bike rack to carry two bikes. I don’t think that I will have enough room for turning with a bike rack mounted on the TT tongue, and I’d prefer to attach the rack to the back of the TT. And, as you know, the Sport has no rear bumper, and in trying to find the right rack, I saw your post from several years ago. I’m also new to the Forum and wanted to be sure that I followed the thread correctly. What model bike rack did you end up getting, was it rear-mounted, did the rear-mounting require any extra hardware, and have you had any issues with the bike rack since installing?

I would appreciate your help and clarification. Thanks so much….

Sam George
Sam George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
I've been happy with the rear bike rack I bought from Can-Am. Other than the cost (shipping from Canada to US) and the unsettling feeling of drilling into the belt line of my Airstream it's been great. No reservations or regrets about buying it. They gave me all the hardware needed. I got the 2 tray Arvika. I think you can buy a 3 tray carrier but I was worried about the weight so I went with the 2 tray. It's easy to remove and install so it doesn't need to stay on all the time. Hope that helps. I think it by far the best option for us Sport owners.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i would NOT install this on the back of the 22FB
try it on the front .

that way you wont be trying to left the TV rear end, just adding tongue weight. this is far safer
Attached Images

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Adding this amount of weight to the back of a small trailer like a Sport really changes the effects of sway. Several wild accidents have been strongly pointing at the addition of rear bike racks on Airstreams as contributing to the accident and a short Sport would exacerbate this problem.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to Boxite.

Click on the orange arrow in the quote to go to the last post in the Out of Control Sway thread. The entire thread is worth a good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Team,

I just reread this after someone posted something about wanting to put bikes in the back.

I can say it can be done. But, but, but be very cautions about it. Minimal weight is all I can say. I put only kids bike, less than 50lbs. For the most part, it is now just a flag pole holder.

It was interesting rereading the advices, challenges and lack of understanding of what I thought I knew, what people knew, and most of all experiences.

Having been in this forum for over a year now and have participated in many discussions and read tons of threads, what people know vs experiences don't always go hand in hand.

We all can agree on one thing: Safety first.

A couple of other threads FYI:

Quebec Rollover: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html
Idaho Rollover: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-156615.html

The life you save may be your own!

PS -- Installing a bike rack that exceeds Airstream's design parameters, and "getting away with it" temporarily, is like cheating death in a game of Russian Roulette IMO. Sooner or later, you will pull the trigger when a chamber in the cylinder is not empty. Bam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
I've been happy with the rear bike rack I bought from Can-Am. Other than the cost (shipping from Canada to US) and the unsettling feeling of drilling into the belt line of my Airstream it's been great. No reservations or regrets about buying it. They gave me all the hardware needed. I got the 2 tray Arvika. I think you can buy a 3 tray carrier but I was worried about the weight so I went with the 2 tray. It's easy to remove and install so it doesn't need to stay on all the time. Hope that helps. I think it by far the best option for us Sport owners.
See this other recent thread as well: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...ck-182333.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Maybe someone from Can-Am could chime in? Normally members of the forum are such fans of Can-Am’s knowledge base. But in this case I guess not...
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hello Chaeha

We have been installing these carriers for 18 years now and have not had any issues with them. When we came up with the design we liked it because the entire carrier only weighs 12 pounds and the bikes ride tucked in nice and close to the back of the Airstream. In theory the 65 pounds of weight of the carrier and bikes should decrease stability but it is pretty difficult to perceive even in our more dramatic tests. If it concerns you add a second battery up front and you will be back to the original weight distribution.

Of course a proper hitch setup is always important. I just returned from Alumapoluza and some are really scary.

I hope this helps.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Adding this amount of weight to the back of a small trailer like a Sport really changes the effects of sway. Several wild accidents have been strongly pointing at the addition of rear bike racks on Airstreams as contributing to the accident and a short Sport would exacerbate this problem.

I may not fully understand the physics here - and I admittedly don't understand a lot of the magic from CanAm setups - but I think the sway from rear bike racks is usually attributed to hitch receivers welded to the rear of the trailer which makes an amplified bouncing lever action. This setup looks similar to the Fiama in that it's bolted to the body and not bouncing as a lever off the back. Again - I'm no physics expert but if I understand what Andy does here, any concerns about the weight in the back could be alleviated by putting some extra weight in the front while traveling.

I'm wide open to correction if I'm seeing this incorrectly....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
. . .
We have been installing these carriers for 18 years now and have not had any issues with them. When we came up with the design we liked it because the entire carrier only weighs 12 pounds and the bikes ride tucked in nice and close to the back of the Airstream. In theory the 65 pounds of weight of the carrier and bikes should decrease stability but it is pretty difficult to perceive even in our more dramatic tests.
. . .
Thank you for clarifying this. It sounds as if your setup is well within Airstream's design parameters [which are usually discussed in terms of the Fiamma bike rack]. Well done.

Just to be clear, other bike rack designs, which rely on a rear hitch receiver to cantilever the rack and bike weights way behind the Airstream, usually run afoul of the AS design parameters IMO.

See the later posts in the following previously linked thread for further comments and photos of Airstream roll-over accidents:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...ck-182333.html

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote