Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Just starting to look

We are just starting to look at trailers. Love to camp but getting too old to sleep on the ground and it rains too much here in Colorado in the summer to sleep outside. Also have a dog and want to take her on our travels. Looking for something small but wondering if a 16' trailer is too small. Any advice would be appreciated. Also have a new granddaughter that we would love to take when she is a little older.
NewbieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I've seen families climb out of a 16 footer but only you can tell if that will work for you or a 25' would be better.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
What size AS is right for you

NewbieK:

We travel in a 2013 16' Bambi with our two rough coat Collies. We we're a long time backbacking / camping couple until 10 years ago when we purchased our first rv a little 8 foot Jayco tent trailer, then graduated to a 17' Casita and now the AS.

If you don't bring the whole world with you a 16' footer is a nice size. My girlfriend brought her 10 year old newphew on our trip to Yosemite and he was just fine sleeping on the front dinette. He also enjoyed being our Airstream Ambassador showing off the AS to our fellow campground neighbors.

Both our Collies have room on the floor and the only "issue" you will have is who sleeps on the side of the bed that has access to the bathroom. Go on line to the AS website or if you have a AS dealer near you go and look at them in person.

Good Luck,

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
For us (two adults, two dogs) it's a 20'. We wanted a permanent bed and like the kitchen space in the 20.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
19' is perfect for two people and a cat. When we had our Labrador it was tight. 16? About the same floor space, but a smaller, wet bath. Still, better than a tent anyday! Nice for solo trips.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
We moved down from a 30' to a 25' since their are just the two of us. We retired and our children are grown and gone. We could get by with a 20' if we only did a few week long trips each year and/or long weekends. However, we spend 3 to 4 months traveling in ours during the winter. So, the 25' is a good compromise for us. But, I really miss the queen bed and big closet in the 30'!

If we ever get grand children there is room to take them with us in the 25'.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We have had a 29, a 30, a 28 (all Excella Classics) and now a 25 Safari FBSE. We have loved them all but the last two have had the split ba and we really love that, makes a nice ba suite when you close it off. All have had a queen bed and I won't give that up either. Also like having two seperate areas to sleep and lounge. So basilcally we gave up storage space though my husband found ample dead space for 5 new drawers in this one that Airstream. Whatever you do, you will enjoy.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
So basilcally we gave up storage space though my husband found ample dead space for 5 new drawers in this one that Airstream. Whatever you do, you will enjoy.
I remembered that you shared pictures of the drawer under the street side couch. Would love to see the other drawers that your husband made!

Tom
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Looking

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I can see that I will have to go and look at some trailers to get a better idea of how they will work for us.
NewbieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This is a very personal decision. Everyone has their own unique interests and desires.

When we were looking we did not want a bed that was up against a wall where one of us had to crawl over the other getting in or out. I also wanted a two door fridge with the separate freezer compartment. To get one of these you have to get a 25 or larger Airstream. We finally settled on a 25FB and have been happy. If we were just going out for the occasional weekend something smaller would probably have worked. But as a retired couple now, we try to get out on the road for longer stretches and the extra space really comes in handy.

Researching is a good idea. Go see as many as you can and then start looking. We did not buy new but did look at many new floor plans at the local dealer. Got ours off of CL and have been pretty happy with the experience. Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote