Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Jacking Height Needed?

I have a 2019 Sport 22FB and am in the process of buying a jack dedicated to it. The jack in my TV is close to not being able to get high enough to change a tire on the AS. Has anyone on the forum actually changed, or pulled, a tire on their 22FB? How high in the air did you actually have to jack it up to get a tire back on? Calculating how short the jack would have to be I believe would be: current height to the jack point minus the height of the rim’s bottom from the ground. The question is the trailer’s suspension…. How much flex is there before the studs are accessible to the wheel?

This issue is almost exclusively an AS issue because they have an axel that can’t be used as a jacking point. On other campers, the problem lies in the other direction i.e. how low do you need to go to get a jack under the axel. My co-worker just found that out the hard way. He had to jack his axel up with his TV jack to get his ‘strong-enough’ bottle jack under the axel to change a blown tire.

The info in the AS owner’s manual is virtually non-existent on this data. I would recommend to AS, since they don’t provide a jack with the trailer, the manual would at least give some parameters for a trailer jack.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this? We never want to have to change a tire alongside the road, but as I’ve read in the forums, a blow-out is something we need to be prepared for. Thanks! DAVSCH
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I just use a small bottle jack and I carry a couple of short 2x6s to put under the jack if I need to get additional jacking height.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....👍

The axle can't be used as a jacking point, but the plate that the axle is mounted on can, safer also if properly done.
Jack with the AS hitched, tongue jack down, TV P-brake set & trans in park, block the opposite wheel.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0b.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	344477  
Old 06-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
I have a 19CB but I assume it is a similar height.

I used a max height 14 5/8 bottle jack ( Minimum 7 1/2 ).

I unscrewed the screw about 4 inches or so, and the jack was probably close to max, which I wouldnt normally do, but it was flat/level/home base.

I still needed three 2x4s stacked under it to get the right height.

I did not want to carry a 40 pound bottle jack to get more height, and I already keep the 2x4s handy for leveling. So This is what I'll use if I have to do it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	344485  
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've changed a flat and removed wheels for inspecting brakes & bearings with a regular bottle jack that's 13" tall or so. I always jack it on the flange to which the axles are mounted (see Robert Cross' photo.) I just adjust the height screw until it's almost touching the flange, then the jack has plenty of range to lift the tires on that side.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
22FB. 2 axles? To change the back tire, run the front tire up on a 4 to 6 inch ramp made of yellow or orange "lego" style blocks, set the tow vehicle's brakes, etc. And change away. (Karate Kid ref. Jack On ...)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
imho, i would place a piece of wood atop the jack to change from a point of pressure, to spread it around the jack point.
less stress on the AS

also add sheets of wood below it raise the jack so its not at the jack limit when raised

note the jack CANT be used as safety fail point, you need a jack rest for that, just like a car
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
I have a 2019 Sport 22FB and am in the process of buying a jack dedicated to it. The jack in my TV is close to not being able to get high enough to change a tire on the AS. Has anyone on the forum actually changed, or pulled, a tire on their 22FB? How high in the air did you actually have to jack it up to get a tire back on? Calculating how short the jack would have to be I believe would be: current height to the jack point minus the height of the rim’s bottom from the ground. The question is the trailer’s suspension…. How much flex is there before the studs are accessible to the wheel?

This issue is almost exclusively an AS issue because they have an axel that can’t be used as a jacking point. On other campers, the problem lies in the other direction i.e. how low do you need to go to get a jack under the axel. My co-worker just found that out the hard way. He had to jack his axel up with his TV jack to get his ‘strong-enough’ bottle jack under the axel to change a blown tire.

The info in the AS owner’s manual is virtually non-existent on this data. I would recommend to AS, since they don’t provide a jack with the trailer, the manual would at least give some parameters for a trailer jack.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this? We never want to have to change a tire alongside the road, but as I’ve read in the forums, a blow-out is something we need to be prepared for. Thanks! DAVSCH

Everyone - thank you for your replies! Especially Bob for turning me on to an alternate jacking point. I’ve gotten grease under my finger nails for almost 50 years. One thing I’ve learned, always listen to the people who’ve “been there, done that”. I didn’t expect such a rapid response to my query. Thanks again!! - Dave
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
22FB. 2 axles? To change the back tire, run the front tire up on a 4 to 6 inch ramp made of yellow or orange "lego" style blocks, set the tow vehicle's brakes, etc. And change away. (Karate Kid ref. Jack On ...)
22FB Sport is a single axle.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
My TV jack is a 'little short' so I will use my leveling blocks under it should I have to jack my 22FB up.

Practice this technique before you need to use it on the side of an interstate highway. Will save your nerves.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
5 ton AS here. So, I carry an 8 ton bottle jack.. left the rig so I can check all 3 tires.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote