Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Dinette area storage ideas

As potential full-timers, we'd like more storage near the kitchen area. We don't use the dinette area for sleeping but would still want to be able to convert it back easily. Has anyone modified the following?

1. The area next to and/or above the water tank (without endangering the electrical wires).

2. Front part (next to the front wall) of the footwell under the table.

4. Along the side of and behind the drawer.

5. The area taken up by the two odd shaped cushions on both sides of the dinette, such as maybe removing the foam and building a box with lid that could be recovered with the fabric.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Elvie,

Welcome to the Forums!

I have been wrestling with the same issue. Since I don't use the dinette for sleeping either, I am going to have 2 aluminum boxes made that are the exact shape of the large cushions. These will perfectly match the interior of my CCD. Access will be thru hinged top panels.

Then, I will probably remove the drawer on the curb side and make a full box under the dinette seat. I also might make a pull-out under the street side for small things because there just isn't a lot of room on that side.

Hope this helps.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Having had a 16' bambi and now full timing in a 30'Classic I know what a challenge you're facing. Even with a 30' there is limited storage space. We us places like the water tank area you speak of for storing thing like paper products,tissue etc. In a 16, in addition to space, weight it probably a bigger concideration as it takes very little to reach the Max GVW.especially with water or holding tank near full. That said the best modification that you can do is in your personal needs. Look carefully at those things -select items that can be used for multi purposes as much as possible. You'll probably still find yourself using your tow vehicle for some storage.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To Squirrel or Not to...

I'm fulltiming, and I have got to admit, I was born to be a squirrel. Once a month I make it a rule to go through my stuff and get rid of something. I've found I'll never need more than three sets of sheets to make every bed in the trailer. So three spare sets that have never been used.... gifts for an employee who is in need. I like pillows and have about six too many. Airstream gave me these cute little ones to decorate the trailer with. Too small to be useful, I want the bigguns. Two at least gotta go.

Buy new underwear... do a search for the religious ones (holy holy holy) and toss them. Shoes, this is a real challenge for women, but even working full time I'm down to 10 pairs... buy new, toss old.

I really have to go through my clothing frequently and discard, discard, discard. I've had to make it a conscious point to look at and eliminate unnecessary stuff. My project this week is the bedroom. Under the bed storage, cabinets, closets, drawers - dump, organize, repack after eliminating 20% of what's there. Finish two projects - turtains and new light weight bedspread.

Paula Ford
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I will be careful about weight limits but wonder how anyone is supposed to get all their stuff in the Bambi with only 97lbs. as a limit. Any thoughts on this question?

I would like to thank all of you for the help in this matter, and look forward to working on these upgrades.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvie
I will be careful about weight limits but wonder how anyone is supposed to get all their stuff in the Bambi with only 97lbs. as a limit. Any thoughts on this question?
Basically there are three solutions...

1) Don't travel with water in your freshwater tank...this gives you an extra 200lbs of cargo capacity. We did this for a while...most of the places we stay have water hookups. The one place that didn't we just used a couple jugs of water.

2) Upgrade your wheels to 15" and tires to ST225/75R15s load rated D (raising the max tire load from a nominal 3740lbs to 5080lbs). Even after weight distribution, a minimum of 200lbs of the Bambi's weight will be carried by the tow vehicle axles. This would make the Bambi's 'real' GVWR 3700lbs even with the stock US 3500lb GAWR axles - thus giving you approx 300lbs of NCC (or 500lbs of NCC if you don't fill the freshwater tank).

3) Upgrade to the 4300lb axle w/15" wheels and tires that Airstream uses on their Canadian spec 16' bambis (and perhaps upgrade to disc brakes while you are having the work done). I had the work done at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center but there is probably a good quality dealer who could do the work closer to you in Colorado.

enjoy,
leo

BTW there are a number of threads on the subject, two of which follow:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...hts-25040.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...vwr-28020.html
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would travel with your water tank full! It lowers the center of gravity. THe trailer tows better. Besides you never know where you are going to stop or get stuck. Water is the one thing we all need regularly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I would travel with your water tank full! It lowers the center of gravity. The trailer tows better.
It is only on the bigger Airsteams that the freshwater tank is located above the axles (thus improving the ride when full). On the Bambis it is located in the front of the trailer under the roadside dinette.

And unfortunately the 16' Bambi is very noseheavy. Instead of the usually recommended 10-15% of total trailer weight on the hitch a loaded 16' Bambi heads toward 20% very quickly. You really have to fight to get the tongue weight back under 15% - empty freshwater tanks help.

As for the convenience of carrying water vs not - it really is in the eye of the beholder. More to the point, Elvie is in the same sad squeeze as most 16' Bambi buyers - your only choices are ignore the GWVR, travel dry, or pay to upgrade your wheels and/or axle.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
my bad..
The reason I go with full water is I can head across country with the need for a camp site. I am good for about 5 days. That includes a shower every other day and baby wipes in between.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Looks like the best deal is less water. Lowers the hitch weight in the bargain also, thanks.

Tags
2006 bambi