Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Remote Fridge. Control?

Anybody do a switch in the cab of the tow vehicle to turn off the fridge just before pulling into a gas station? Looks like a couple of wires, a switch, and a plug at the hitch. Turn it back on as one hits the road again. Talk about lazy.

Thanks
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Sounds like a lot of work, but simple. When we are are the road we will turn off the frig just prior to heading out. If it is going to be a drive longer thay say four hours, we make sure we have ice in the freezer. For longer drives out we pack a bunch of these ice packs in the freezer and move them down to the frig compartment. This way we don't need to worry about shutting down at the gas station. Works great and you don't need to get in and out of the AS for fueling.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvie
Anybody do a switch in the cab of the tow vehicle to turn off the fridge just before pulling into a gas station? Looks like a couple of wires, a switch, and a plug at the hitch. Turn it back on as one hits the road again. Talk about lazy.
Why do you turn off the refrigerator before pulling into a gas station?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why do you turn off the refrigerator before pulling into a gas station?
Any RV appliance that is operating with an open flame using propane should be turned off at a filling station to miminize the risk of igniting the fumes created by the gasoline while filling up. It could be a fridge, water heater or furnace.

That said, these appliances will not operate without 12VDC (at least the newer ones) as control voltage. What you need to do the remote switching function from your TV is a 12VDC disconnect that will cut your trailer's battery from the 12VDC distribution panel and will shut down the trailer with one switch. That would be complicated.

Another, easier method would be to run an auxiliary line from the trailer plug's 12VDC feed to the back of the refer, and put a switch on that line coming from the TV's battery. You could use a single pole, double throw switch at the back of the fridge that would read 'travel' and 'store'. In the travel mode, the +12VDC would be coming from the TV and NOT the trailer and in the 'store position, it would be coming from the trailer.

I have other ideas also. PM me if interested.............

I'm sure that you'll get a bunch more from our highly innovative crew here.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lew feel free to jump in here with the specifics.

most modern fridges have a circuit to interrupt the flame during refueling. as i recall how it works on mine is to connect to a 12 volt circuit that is on with the ignition. eg. key on = 12 volts. when this circuit is interrupted by turning the key off the fridge will not attempt to relight for 30 min.

this allows you to refuel safely without having to remember to restart the fridge.

look in your manual for your fridge see if there is mention of this circuit.

finding a key on circuit at the rear of the vehicle would be the next task.

john
Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey John,

To my knowledge, my '06 CCD has no circuit to cut the fridge like this. I full timed in a '98 Monaco Dynasty Moho for 5 years and while we were always using the truck diesel pumps, we would shut the fridge manually whenever we fueled. I haven't seen this type of safety on any new Mohos either.

Any interruption in the 12VDC control voltage to the back of the fridge that feeds the control board WILL cut the LP by closing the gas valve, as it's a normally closed solenoid and only stays open when the control board applies the 12VDC to it.

This power interruption can be either on the + or - side, so a break in the ground feed to this circuit would work just as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
1. I well never forget seeing the aftermath of an RV caused fire in a gas station. Never found out if the driver was standing there when it lit off.

2. When we stop for lunch and shut off the TV the fridge keeps on running. Yes we do leave it on propane while driving, works great.

3. So is this right? A wire from under the service panel to a switch in the TV to cut power to the fridge. Hit the switch before entering the gas station, the fridge shuts off. Fuel up, drive off, hit the switch and the fridge lights up, right? I'll bet that wire is color coded. Then, something at the plug so the fridge will run when disconnected from the TV.

Thanks for the tips.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lew elvie,

looked at my fridge book today, there is an interupt circuit. also there is a small clock shaped light on my fridge eyebrow panel.

the book calls for a 16 ga pilot wire from the iginition switch through a connector at the tounge to the fridge.

once the fridge senses a loss of voltage on the pilot wire it shuts down. when 12 volts is available after 30 min it relights.

i have to admit mine is NOT connected this way as i rarely refuel enroute due to the size of the tank on my tow vehicle.

john
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I thought about the same thing but wanted to use a wireless remote like you use to unlock your car. Found a website but lost it. Just Googled and found this but I believe there are much cheaper alternatives.

Wireless remote control transmitters with programmable 12-volt LED switches - 2Kool Technologies

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
I thought about the same thing but wanted to use a wireless remote like you use to unlock your car. Found a website but lost it. Just Googled and found this but I believe there are much cheaper alternatives.

Wireless remote control transmitters with programmable 12-volt LED switches - 2Kool Technologies

Greg
Greg,

Hook that thingy on your fridge 12VDC control voltage line and you should be good to go. At $50, if you consider sourcing your parts and the time involved, seems like a bargain to me!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Any RV appliance that is operating with an open flame using propane should be turned off at a filling station to miminize the risk of igniting the fumes created by the gasoline while filling up. It could be a fridge, water heater or furnace.
Oh my! That is so obvious I missed it! Duh!

Thanks for explaining. I will be watching this thread with interest!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi