Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

2011 16' Sport
Roseville , Minnesota
Question Add a window in the door 2011 16' Sport

I would like to add a window in the door of my 2011 16' Sport. I would like it to match the bathroom window. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?
Mikeswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Simple answer is "yes, but..." I have seen several posts of people who have installed windows in the doors of vintage trailers, and I seriously considered doing it myself.

A year or so back, I was completely rebuilding/reskinning the door in my '73, and I had dreams of putting a window in it as well. What appeared to be the easiest solution would be to use the same window that is installed in the doors of, say, the International model, but it turned out that it wouldn't work for two reasons. Foremost was that the window had less of a curve to it compared to my door as it was made to fit the wider body modern trailers. Second was that the price of the new window alone approached $500 if my memory serves me.

So, if your door is the same width as the International model, and the body is the same width, then you should have no problem sourcing the window, but it will be crazy expensive. Installing the window is not such a big deal, if you are not squeamish about cutting large holes in the skin of your door, and have some skills with olympic rivets.

A more expedient solution may be to look into getting an entire door (salvage?) with a window already in it. In my experieince, doors are tricky business. Every one seems to be custom fit to the frame, and they are usually tweaked so that you can't just take one from traielr to trailer and have a perfect fit without some sweat, stress, and fiddling.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

It would look very cool.

And be useful for when someone came knocking at your door.

But the window treatment for the interior for it, might not look so great and would be a whole other project.

People could peek in, and you might want the ability to darken the trailer for sleep in mornings.

Changing the subject….I don't know why people would want a window on a bathroom door.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport