Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
22' Sport: Sharp corners on cabinets?

My wife and I did our maiden voyage this weekend (well, our trailer's maiden voyage ... we're a few decades beyond ... oh, never mind). One of the things we noticed on our brand new 22 Sport is that the cabinets at ankle and waist level are sharp 90 degree angles. I'm wondering if this bothers anyone else and what you can do about it.

Since it appears to be laminate over HDL, I don't think I can really take a sander to it, can I?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I'm interested to see what others have to say about this too. I'm sporting two battle scars right now as a result of those sharp corners. Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up a box of bandages to keep in my AS.

It is hard for me to believe that AS is still making them this way a decade later.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Try using a file to chamfer off any sharp edges. File downward so not to damage the top edge.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
I have 2013 22 sport with two scars from the sharp edges from the table slide. I had the AS mechanic file the edges. Only to get the 3 plus the pants. Obviously a product selection issue. Ouch
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Jackson , Texas
I have had mine for a week now and already injured my leg. duct tape.
Taroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
If you are handy with a router, or know someone who is, there is a bit designed to ease off those sharp edges. You may still need the lowly file, but the results should be very good. Any cabinet shop should be able to help you out. Just tell them what you are trying to do.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I don't know the exact situation but you could make a pattern out of 1/4" MDF or plywood in a shape you wanted to ease the offending corners. Have the pattern run long so you can clamp it down, if you have overhang to clamp to and rout it. You can also use double stick tape to stick pattern down. A trick or method to make sure you have a firm temporary bond is take a board and clamp it down over the pattern with the double stick tape and remove to rout. Also if that isn't possible a few sharp bangs with a dead blow over the taped areas is likely to do the trick.

I would practice on a mock up to get the hang of it. You would you a straight bit with a bearing on top. If you don't have the skill or desire it should not be too hard to find someone who does.

Good luck sorry to hear you are getting banged up.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sharp corners

You could also just buy some of those vinyl corner guards that they use in office hallways to avoid chipping the drywall. They come in various sizes and colors and have double sided tape. They come in standard lengths but can be cut down to size with a sharp knife. I haven't looked, but I would imagine that Lowes and Home Depot would have these. Otherwise try Googling "corner guards" and look for online purchasing opportunities.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Post a picture of what you are talking about, If it's what I think it is there may be a solution. I have also heard here that the "surface treatment" is very soft unlike Formica™. So be very careful pounding anything.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote