Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Grove City , Ohio
2017 Sport - Water Pump issue

Just picked up a slightly used 22 ft Sport from dealer over the weekend. Making sure everything works at home and de-winterizing before taking it out this weekend. Water pump does not seem to be working. Filled tank, turn on faucets and pump and nothing. Left running for 20 minutes.

Called dealer and they said I would have to bring it in for them to look at it. Hate to do that because I want to take it out this weekend. As a first time AS owner, is there something I'm forgetting to do?

Thanks!
grvcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Please describe what happens. Do you hear the pump running? Does any air come out of any faucets, and did you open all of the faucets including exterior shower? You might have to locate the pump, and examine the filter between the water tank and the pump. Maybe someone did not connect everything correctly after the winterization.

Check your owner's manual for the pump location. If you cannot find it we can look online for your manual.

Did the dealer do a thorough preparation before you bought it? Why was this missed?

After you filled the water tank, was there any water dripping from the trailer any place? Are you sure the drain valve for the water tank is closed.

More details of what you observe, and have done or not done, will help diagnose this.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- If you left the pump running for 20 minutes with no water coming out of any faucet, you may have ruined the pump, sorry to say. Please read your owner's manual. It is not the most thorough document, but it will warn you not to run the pump if water does not come out IMO.

PS2 -- Did you turn the bypass valve at the water heater, to permit water to flow through the water heater into the hot faucets? Does the plumbing work when you connect directly to city water? etc. etc. more details please.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Grove City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Please describe what happens. Do you hear the pump running? Does any air come out of any faucets, and did you open all of the faucets including exterior shower? You might have to locate the pump, and examine the filter between the water tank and the pump. Maybe someone did not connect everything correctly after the winterization.

Check your owner's manual for the pump location. If you cannot find it we can look online for your manual.

Did the dealer do a thorough preparation before you bought it? Why was this missed?

After you filled the water tank, was there any water dripping from the trailer any place? Are you sure the drain valve for the water tank is closed.

More details of what you observe, and have done or not done, will help diagnose this.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- If you left the pump running for 20 minutes with no water coming out of any faucet, you may have ruined the pump, sorry to say. Please read your owner's manual. It is not the most thorough document, but it will warn you not to run the pump if water does not come out IMO.

PS2 -- Did you turn the bypass valve at the water heater, to permit water to flow through the water heater into the hot faucets? Does the plumbing work when you connect directly to city water? etc. etc. more details please.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply!

I did connect the city water and turned the bypass valve. That all worked great. Pump is in the closet but I hate to mess with it since I'm a newbie. I can hear it running when I turn it on. No water appears to be dripping and fresh water indicator still shows 100%. When we did a walk through with the dealer we didn't test the water as it was winterized.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Other folks have covered most of what I would otherwise say.

However, now that you say it was winterised, it might be possible that they put RV antifreeze in the system rather than just blowing the lines with compressed air. If so, they might not have bothered reconnecting the pump suction line afterwards.

IE normally you would unscrew the pump inlet hose from the fresh water tank connection and stick it a jug of antifreeze then use the pump in order to fill the pipes.

I understand you don't wan't the fool with the pump, but you might at least want to spend a minute or two in order to just look at the pump to be sure the suction hose is hooked up properly!

On another point, someone mentioned above that if you have run the pump dry for a significant time you may have ruined it.

I think that could be so for some earlier models and may still be so for some brands.

However for the "Shurflow" make of pump we have in our trailer, I noticed that the manual actually states that it can be run dry without damage. Hopefully you will be ok!

Let us know what happens - always interesting to follow up and learn more!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You are going to have to read the manual and find the pump.

This is why you got an Airstream! To have lots of projects to fiddle around with!

Previous advice applies.

Find pump, check filter and intake line, plus all connections.

Take filter apart.

Etc.

PS call the dealer so someone can walk you through finding the pump.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If the pump is not running there could be a circuit breaker on the DC panel tripped. also, there may be a fuse located near the pump blown.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Grove City , Ohio
So found the pump in the closet, opened up the valve and bingo! I've got water! The owners manual directed me to it but didn't have a good picture so I had to figure out which valve.

Thanks for all the help. Great to know there is an awesome community out here in case I have issues.

Looks like a great weekend here in Ohio, going to take it out for the first time. Can't wait!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good news, thanks for the update! Have a great weekend trip.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Glad you solved your issue.

Also if the low point drains are open your water lines won't be able to build up pressure. We drain our system after each camping trip and so need to remember to check these.

FYI you have 2 sets of low point drains. One is under the bed very close to the hot water heater, the second is under the closet floor by the pump.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Grove City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Glad you solved your issue.

Also if the low point drains are open your water lines won't be able to build up pressure. We drain our system after each camping trip and so need to remember to check these.

FYI you have 2 sets of low point drains. One is under the bed very close to the hot water heater, the second is under the closet floor by the pump.

So those will drain my hot water tank and pump? Do you typically drain the fresh water tank also?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvcraig View Post
So those will drain my hot water tank and pump? Do you typically drain the fresh water tank also?

Alas no. It will drain the water that is in those lines but not the actual tank.

To drain the hot water tank you will need to be outside, open the cover, and remove the 15/16" drain plug (Carefully)
(hot) Water will drain out.
Then replace the plug, which is made easier with a 15/16" socket to tighten. We also carry a spare plug (Amazon-about $5) since if it would crack or have the threads fail then it would not go back in.

We always put our trailer away "clean and dry". This avoids mold/slime growth in the lines or the water heater.

Empty the hot water heater. Empty the low point drains. Empty the fresh water holding tank. (If you don't remember to do this, you can leave that drain open and just close it up next trip. You can also drive down the road with the fresh water tank drain open since it is clean water). But the task is made easier if when you are breaking camp, you flush the toilet and run the bathroom sink faucets enough to drain out the fresh water tank.

We find for a 2 night weekend with 2 people that 1 tank full of fresh water lasts perfectly. For 1 daily shower each person (navy shower) and dish washing with minimal water usage. We have a 5 gallon jerry style water can and bring that from home with tap water for drinking and making coffee. (also for the dog to drink.)

Our state parks here don't tend to have water at each campsite, so we fill up the fresh tank when we arrive at the campground, and then drain as explained above before hitting the dump station.

And info on dumping--
We have a #1 only rule for the toilet. No TP, no #2. We then find that dumping is really fast as we first dump the black (which only has water and #1), dump the gray (which is from showers and washing dishes). Go inside and dump 2 gallons of fresh water down the toilet (from a bucket), dump that, and are done. This avoids the extra time/work of the black tank flush procedure.

Piggy Bank
Old 04-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
WHAT..?!?!?!? NO No. 2..??...!!!

Heck, THATS the main reason to have a TOILET!!!

It is THE reason (besides a stand-up shower) that the DW and I wanted a 'Stream!

Any nearby TREE is for No. ONE! (although DW disagrees with that....the DOG agrees with ME!)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvcraig View Post
The average AS user -- during the active camping season -- does not follow the conservative steps recommended by Piggy Bank IMO.

Go to these forums' list of topics and read up:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/ [plus the 4 sub-forums at the top]
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/

We are going away for the weekend will follow up next week.

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- And as Boxite just exclaimed, "no #2?" !!!

You meet all kinds here, and the issues of toilet paper, black water tanks, and human excrement really get things going!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The average AS user -- during the active camping season -- does not follow the conservative steps recommended by Piggy Bank IMO.

Go to these forums' list of topics and read up:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/ [plus the 4 sub-forums at the top]
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/

We are going away for the weekend will follow up next week.

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- And as Boxite just exclaimed, "no #2?" !!!

You meet all kinds here, and the issues of toilet paper, black water tanks, and human excrement really get things going!

I couldn't agree more.

But each individual has to decide what they want to be responsible to clean vs the inconvenience of going to the campground facilities.

We have found what works for us, and you will too.

Piggy Bank